Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 1,366 total)
  • A 2015/16 Football Thread
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Easy, Rashford is a better striker than Defoe

Rockape63
    Free Member

If you are building for the future, (which you need to consider) you put youngsters in at an early age to learn and gain experience. Sure Defoe could do a job, but its win/win with Rashford if he plays well. Defoe had his chance many years ago and never nailed it.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Wilshire wouldn’t last 3 matches in a row at the Euros he’s not in good enough shape, small wager from me he doesn’t play at all.

Jamby…you do lead with your chin sometimes! 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

My point is JW really doesn’t have much more experience than Drinkwater. As Shearer says he’s been picked on reputation not form.

The debate on Rashford misses the point I think, as re-looking at the squad he is likely to be there as back up for Stirling, as the left side of the midfield is very light on quality.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, Rashford is a side issue when you consider that Sterling is going! 😆

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My point is JW really doesn’t have much more experience than Drinkwater.

Simply not true . Anyway experience is not the only reason Jack is going .

dragon
    Free Member

Why is he going? What does he offer and most importantly what formation do England have to play for him to fit in it?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Jamby…you do lead with your chin sometimes!

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, its how I make a living 🙂

Junky you’ve told me repeatedly you don’t bet so I am rather confused. How about a week of being nice to the other on STW to the winner ?

Scandal I am big Defore fan (Spurs and all that) and it was a crime they took Walcott to the World Cup instead of him, in fact I think the Drinkwater vs Ashford / Wilshire comparison is similar – Wilshire will not play and/or will get broken as he’s not fit/battle hardened, Rashford will come on when we are struggling in a game as a desperate sub / hope for a miracle.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Wilshere will not play and/or will get broken as he’s not fit/battle hardened.

Not true, he’s been brought back very slowly and has been building up for months now. His injuries have been caused mostly by impacts, not muscle injuries like some other ‘sicknotes’ we could mention. He does tend to commit defenders to tackle him in order to go past them, which has caused many problems for him. I think people have forgotten how effective he can be at winning the ball and getting on the front foot. His passing ability is also excellent, so despite the bad publicity and the injuries, he’s worth his place….easily!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

While I am not a fan of the inclusion, given who was left out, I would have Wilshere ahead of Hendo/Sterling. When he is on his game, he does give something noone else seems to. Just a shame he’s made out of glass.

soobalias
    Free Member

i dont think rashford has ‘taken’ anyones place, he’s a bit unknown he’s a a bit of a gamble, good, sometimes you need that

sturridge, unfit, shoulda picked a different striker, could have gone one dimensional with defoe or carrol, six of one half a dozen of each of the others

think wilshire is getting a particularly hard time here, clearly has fitness and sharpness to prove, but i dont feel it was a direct choice between him or drinkwater (a few of the other midfielders woulda been dropped before either IMO)

still all the focus is up that end, is everyone resigned to the defence that we have?

scandal42
    Free Member

I’m not saying Defoe should go but someone said Ashford deserved to go because he played for Utd and not Sunderland and that it is harder there.

I’m saying it’s easier to get in Utd’s forward line than that of Sunderland due to the fact they have absolutely **** all.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

is everyone resigned to the defence that we have?

I’m quite looking forward to John Stones, clearly believing his own hype, trying to dribble out of the box and lose the ball a million times.

Danny Rose to do the same, but try and win the ball back by hacking the achilles off the offending player, thus getting a yellow card within 10 mins.

Etc etc.

scandal42
    Free Member

Anyway, this is why I love football 8)

Woy is still a Cockwomble

MSP

is everyone resigned to the defence that we have?

I can’t think of anyone who should displace the choices made, which is pretty bleak.

I am just glad Jones isn’t included, which I half expected.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junky you’ve told me repeatedly you don’t bet so I am rather confused. How about a week of being nice to the other on STW to the winner ?

I dont and this is not a gamble 8)

Can I have an all bets are off if he gets injured 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sky Sports is reporting that Aaron Ramsey has dyed his hair.

dragon
    Free Member

Michael Owens comments on John Stones are hilarious:

“This kid could play for Barcelona.

“He’s probably the only player in the England squad who could walk into Barcelona’s team at the moment.

BBC Sport

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I used to respect David Ornstein….

…there’s many things to describe Mr Owen. Fascinating isn’t one of them. Neither is insightful, interesting, engaging etc etc

He knows how to make money, tho. So fair play to him there.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwq7gJlH59g[/video]

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Haha I was going to say “has anyone seen the Michael Owen Dubai video” and there it is! It is gold ! A must watch!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Brilliant! ‘This chopper has special powers!’ 😆

binners

Dear god! Thats weirdly compelling. Literally like seeing an item of furniture speak!

Its actually even worse than his commentaries on BT Sport. And thats saying something! The second I hear his droning monotone I want to kick the telly in!!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

This kid could play for Barcelona

Jesus.

I wouldn’t expect Owen to have the usual English Myopic views of foreign defenders, having been one of the few to actually try it abroad, but it seems I’m wrong.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Literally like seeing an item of furniture speak!

lol 😀

Jeeeez…you’d think someone would tell him how bad he sounds. I still recall the first match he commented on LFC v Arsenal, when LFC were tearing Arsenal to pieces and he was all excited but still talking the same way. It was a double horror show, but I couldn’t switch it off. (due to the fact I am a proper armchair supporter)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Stones has a lot to learn but he will be a world class ball playing defender despite what internet folk think

Barca don’t do a lot of defending so he will do ok for them

He still makes mistakes but he is class and what he can so you cannot teach

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

*pulls up chair to internet*

You’re wrong, JY.

John Stones is not going to be as good as everyone thinks.

dragon
    Free Member

bongohoohaa +1

John Stones is not class, his positional play is poor (just watch Man U’s goals in the FA Cup semi final against Everton), and no outfield player this season in the PL has made more mistakes leading to opposition goals.

Paul Merson (not normally someone I agree with), nails it in this vid:

[video]https://youtu.be/o54znZ9RSHw[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

You’re wrong, JY.

Well lets wait 5 years and re visit this

Liked his bit about how they should be above leicester
    He is correct that Martinez is not helping him and he needs to learn to defend some more

We do admire the John Terry type and not the Baresi type in this country

dragon
    Free Member

There is nothing inherently wrong with playing out from the back and in fact you want defenders (and keepers) comfortable on the ball and at the kids coaching I go to it is actively encouraged. However, you still need to be able to defend first and foremost, and know when and when not to play the ball or go for safety.

I agree Martinez hasn’t helped him, but it is a worrying stat that Everton had a tighter defence in the games when Stones was missing due to injury.

I can’t quite work out, why if he is so great on the ball they don’t move him to a defensive midfield position, where his passing ability should be of benefit and mistakes are slightly less costly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We do admire the John Terry type and not the Baresi type in this country

John Terry is a size 10 d-head but it’s impossible to any respect for the majority of Italian defenders. Spurs have a long history of footballing defenders and the goals against to show for it 🙂 There will only ever be one Bobby Moore.

scandal42
    Free Member

Give me Wes Morgan every day of the week

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I haven’t seen enough of Stones to comment really, but why was Mourinho so desperate to get him if he is shit?

Edit : final warm up against Portugal tonight only 10 days to go for England first game can’t wait.only twenty days to go until that crushing feeling of being dumped out too

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

That’s automatic promotion next season sorted.

I haven’t seen enough of Stones to comment really, but why was Mourinho so desperate to get him if he is shit?

He was trying to get the sack. So wanted to spunk a load of cash on a bad player 😉

scandal42
    Free Member

The old codger has moved both Vardy and Kane out of the centre to allow the razor sharp and pacy top man Rooney to play the main role 😆 🙄

That was a thoroughly horrific 1st half

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is odd as rooney is the more adaptable of those two and its a travesty to play them out of position- pick two of them and just play them

IMHO Kane and rooney as Vardy does not work with Kane and Kane has to play
    Vardy for when the opposition are tired

dragon
    Free Member

Maybe it is a cunning plan at sand bagging to make everyone think they are rubbish.

Junky agree if Rooney has to play then put him with Kane to start, with Vardy to come on later when the opposition are tired.

MSP

I am watching it on an American stream (as ITV’s stream is such crap quality). The american commentator just nailed England “they just never seem to work out tactics on the pitch, they always need to be told what to do”.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

This is shite

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just switched the game on, and skipped through what I missed.

Glad I did….looks awful. Well, not as awful as this.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

WE’RE GOING TO WIN THE EUROS!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 1,366 total)

The topic ‘A 2015/16 Football Thread’ is closed to new replies.