• This topic has 63 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by chip.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • £95 For a Kettle – Worth It?
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Like many things in our modern life of course it is not WORTH it. Neither is a bike that costs thousands of pounds or a computer that costs £1500 or a phone that costs £1000. These things have profit margins of hundreds of percent slapped on them. But what’s worth got to do with it? People buy these things because they think they’re buying into a lifestyle and portraying an image they want to other people. It’s completely narcissistic and cannot be justified in any other way.

By the way I ditched the kettle 2 years ago for a Quooker. How narcissistic am I! But it is brilliant. Not £600 brilliant, but brilliant all the same. I’d have another and would compromise on every other item in the kitchen to get one.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

The problem these days is that everything is built down to a price and everybody expects stuff to be really cheap to buy as a result.

Most broken stuff never gets fixed. It just goes into landfill. Maybe if people returned faulty stuff more often, retailers would demand more reliable items and manufacturers would build things to last.

I’d be happy to pay top dollar for kit that I knew would last a long time and be repairable if it failed. Hence I’ll go for the kettle.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m with Wobbliscott – What are these kettles you speak of, I expect my boiling water to come straight from the tap. The Quooker is the only thing I’m taking with me from this house when I move.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’m not interested in “lifestyle” or even “style” – if you’ve seen me dress.

I just want stuff to work.

I like the Quooker. My brother has a similar( but pricier) system. Trouble is, we’re in a rented house so even if we could afford it, we wouldn’t.

ctk
    Free Member

I had 3 wallpaper steamers off Wickes but this was in the space of a few months. I’m surprised they take a kettle back after 2 years.

onehundredthidiot

Knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread.

We’ve got a kitchenaid kettle that I am choosing to believe cost £20.

Rio

I’d be happy to pay top dollar for kit that I knew would last a long time and be repairable if it failed. Hence I’ll go for the kettle.

We had a Dualit kettle that failed. It wasn’t repairable – in fact it seemed to be designed so that it was impossible to take apart without breaking it further. The kettles seem well made but don’t expect them to be like the traditional Dualit toasters that can be repaired with a hammer and a screwdriver.

shermer75
    Free Member

Save yourself the money and replace the element with the “Silverfish – Haven’t found their Mojo yet…..” thread

milky1980
    Free Member

Was it a £20 VW kettle originally, but they changed the badge and tripled the price?

Most likely he walked in, realised he could only afford the base model so bought that then paid for a ‘replacement’ Turbo sticker to put on it so he didn’t look like a cheapskate 😀

footflaps

Our last kettle was a £40 Russell Hobbs thing, lasted about 8 years and eventually the contacts in the charging base wore out, kettle itself was fine. Just bought the same model again.

slowoldman

At £90 I would want it to cook my full English for me while waiting for the water to boil.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

We had a Dualit kettle that failed. It wasn’t repairable – in fact it seemed to be designed so that it was impossible to take apart without breaking it further.

There seem to be two Dualit ranges.

The cheap(er) range of non repairable stuff and more expensive range of fixable stuff.

cbike
    Free Member

15 quid job. Cover the translucent level indicator in electric tape and see if you can beat the 15 years you got out the last one that still worked, but UV light had destroyed the indicator!

CountZero

Had a look at the kettle my folks bought, at least six or seven years ago, and it’s a Russell Hobbs, and I’m sure it was only around £17-19, and it’s still working fine.
    I think it’s the predecessor to this one, which is £21.99:
    https://uk.russellhobbs.com/russell-hobbs-products/kettles/black-kettles/textures-plastic-kettle-black-21271

ahwiles
    Free Member

We spent £40 on a ‘quiet’ kettle.

It was great, so my MiL stole it.

And I’d happily spend more on a kettle with different temperature settings…

dantsw13

I’ve got the Kitchen Aid Artisan – half price in last years colour. The adjustable temp is very handy, plus the outside doesn’t get hot.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Pan of water on the stove with a lid, boil what you need, save the planet and your wallet? 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

For home use one of this from John Lewis …

leffeboy

We (I) bought a Cuiseart stainless steel one because it looked good and fitted in well. Lasted just under 2 years and I can’t find the receipt to return it :(. Crap

Liking the temperature settings though so would pay for that again

kayak23

My gf has an Alessi stove top kettle. I detest the thing. I swear it takes about 4 times as long to boil (gas hob), is difficult to tell how much water is in it and the whistling…..Christ, the whistling.

Because it takes a week to boil, I’ll invariably get into doing something else while I wait. Sometimes that thing is toilet based. How does it know to start violently whistling just as you’re at the most indisposed!?

Bloody things. 👿

What I’d like to know is are they more or less energy efficient compared to electric kettles. My guess is drastically less efficient. I need scientific evidence to add to my campaign to get rid of it 😀

She’s got a really old Dualit toaster too. That’s great though, except if you like doorstops like me. The openings are pretty thin.

g5604
    Free Member

You are paying £83 over the odds.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Was it a £20 VW kettle originally, but they changed the badge and tripled the price?
    Most likely he walked in, realised he could only afford the base model so bought that then paid for a ‘replacement’ Turbo sticker to put on it so he didn’t look like a cheapskate

He should of just got his mate/BiL to pay for it, if he couldn’t afford it.

chip
    Free Member

Lingkettles?

chip
    Free Member

lingskettles?

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘£95 For a Kettle – Worth It?’ is closed to new replies.