Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,456 total)
  • 9/11 documentary
  • jonnyboi

Why should it?

That’s how stuff works…

answer the points that have been put to you

5plusn8
    Free Member

waits for –

I’m busy, I’ve a load of work to do and, to be honest, considering pointless examples of incomplete equations is pretty much bottom of my list of priorities.

amedias
    Free Member

So why didn’t it follow the path of least resistance?

Why should it?

That’s how stuff works…[/quote]
    [/quote]

No it isn’t, this is literally what Newtons Laws are all about.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

If I fire a bullet at a melon, do you agree that the air around the melon and past it has a lower resistance to objects passing through it than the melon?
    Will the bullet arrive at the melon and get its calculator out and decide that conspiracy fysics says I should follow the path of least resistance, I am going to go around the melon.
    No the vector is into the melon, and in I shall go.
    The bullet has such energy that the melon just gets destroyed.

That’s reasonable…

And this whilst reasonable:

It survived the loss of several exterior columns due to aircraft impact, but the ensuing fire led to other steel failures. Many structural engineers believe that the weak points—the limiting factors on design allowables—were the angle clips that held the floor joists between the columns on the perimeter wall and the core structure (see Figure 5).

Is still conjecture

5plusn8
    Free Member

Yeah. I have looked at your account. You are are trolling fruitoop, I’m done responding to you. Threefish at least seemed like he was interested in a discussion for a while.

whitestone
    Free Member

Go to the section headed “Mechanism of Twin Towers’ Collapse” then please explain what you think is incorrect about it along with the engineering and physics to back up your assertions.

gonefishin
    Free Member

just making sure no one was in there, just before they blew it u

…with magic explosives that don’t make any sound. Aye. Right.

amedias
    Free Member

Conjecture

Meaning based on incomplete data/evidence, which is true, nobody has ‘complete’ data. But they’re filling in the blanks based on knowledge of the building construction and an understanding of the engineering/physics/mechanics involved.

Other theories reject that knowledge and understanding and put forward alternative ideas based on “It looks funny”, not so much incomplete as wilfully ignorant. It’s still based on incomplete information but the bits they’re missing are an understanding of the situation.

They may both be conjecture, but they do not carry equal weight.

“Ghosts did it” is also conjecture, but I do not expect that theory to stand up to any scrutiny.

squadra
    Free Member

Keep in mind yourself that WTC7 had 91,000 litres of diesel in the basement. 91,000 litres of diesel. Probably good stuff for creating more than an office fire. In addition to the diesel tanks in the basement it had pumps and fuel lines throughout the first nine floors.

NIST says that an estimated 23,000 gallons of diesel were recovered several months after the collapse and that fuel oil did not contribute to the collapse- FAQ #19-https://www.nist.gov/el/faqs-nist-wtc-7-investigation

jonnyboi

It survived the loss of several exterior columns due to aircraft impact, but the ensuing fire led to other steel failures. Many structural engineers believe that the weak points—the limiting factors on design allowables—were the angle clips that held the floor joists between the columns on the perimeter wall and the core structure (see Figure 5).

Is still conjecture

you mean the opinion of qualified experts?

again, explain why you disagree with this qualified opinion and the other logical points put to you. show your reasoning

akira

Yeah it was ghosts, you want proof? That’s how stuff works. Or maybe it was the flat earthers, from so high up you could see the curvature of the earth so they wanted it gone. It would be funny if people didn’t genuinely believe some of this nonsense.

amedias
    Free Member

Yeah it was ghosts

I knew it! thank you for confirming this for me, can I now quote you as additional ‘evidence’ in future discussions?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Well for one, the towers were designed for impact by planes, with forces exceeding those encountered.

Then we have the combustion temperature of available materials…

That’s long before you look into the bigger picture of events on the day and the people involved.

jonnyboi

Well for one, the towers were designed for impact by planes, with forces exceeding those encountered.

That’s long before you look into the bigger picture of events on the day and the people involved.

Again, these have all been answered with detailed and logical responses. You’ve failed to give any reasoning why you disagree with these explanations or highlighted factual errors in the rebuttals. You just make the same unsupported assertions. why is this?

jonnyboi

The early news reports noted how well the towers withstood the initial impact of the aircraft; however, when one recognizes that the buildings had more than 1,000 times the mass of the aircraft and had been designed to resist steady wind loads of 30 times the weight of the aircraft, this ability to withstand the initial impact is hardly surprising. Furthermore, since there was no significant wind on September 11, the outer perimeter columns were only stressed before the impact to around 1/3 of their 200 MPa design allowable.

The only individual metal component of the aircraft that is comparable in strength to the box perimeter columns of the WTC is the keel beam at the bottom of the aircraft fuselage. While the aircraft impact undoubtedly destroyed several columns in the WTC perimeter wall, the number of columns lost on the initial impact was not large and the loads were shifted to remaining columns in this highly redundant structure. Of equal or even greater significance during this initial impact was the explosion when 90,000 L gallons of jet fuel, comprising nearly 1/3 of the aircraft’s weight, ignited. The ensuing fire was clearly the principal cause of the collapse

It is known that structural steel begins to soften around 425°C and loses about half of its strength at 650°C.4 This is why steel is stress relieved in this temperature range. But even a 50% loss of strength is still insufficient, by itself, to explain the WTC collapse. It was noted above that the wind load controlled the design allowables. The WTC, on this low-wind day, was likely not stressed more than a third of the design allowable, which is roughly one-fifth of the yield strength of the steel. Even with its strength halved, the steel could still support two to three times the stresses imposed by a 650°C fire.

The additional problem was distortion of the steel in the fire. The temperature of the fire was not uniform everywhere, and the temperature on the outside of the box columns was clearly lower than on the side facing the fire. The temperature along the 18 m long joists was certainly not uniform. Given the thermal expansion of steel, a 150°C temperature difference from one location to another will produce yield-level residual stresses. This produced distortions in the slender structural steel, which resulted in buckling failures. Thus, the failure of the steel was due to two factors: loss of strength due to the temperature of the fire, and loss of structural integrity due to distortion of the steel from the non-uniform temperatures in the fire

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Again, these have all been answered with detailed and logical responses. You’ve failed to give any reasoning why you disagree with these explanations or highlighted factual errors in the rebuttals. You just make the same unsupported assertions. why is this?

That’s nonsense… everyone is focusing on the collapse of the towers (with conjecture, admittedly from both camps), as if it’s the be all and end all of the situation, without taking into account any of the additional factors.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It’s hard, nobody has said otherwise. The fact that the Towers collapsed in the way they did doesn’t mean it would be easy to replicate, and it certainly wasn’t ‘controlled’ in terms of outcome compared to an actual controlled demolition.

So, in trying to understand this… The collapse would not be easy to replicate, so the towers in fact collapsed in quite an unpredictable way?

what were the chances of them collapsing like that? This is not rhetorical, can you make an estimate of the likelihood?

Not that i’m suggesting that because they collapsed in an unpredictable way it means that there was a controlled explosion.

But it would help with constructing the Bayesian equations

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You’re a troll?
    You don’t understand physics?

amedias
    Free Member

What do you actually mean by this ‘designed for’ and ‘forces exceeding’? Do you mean they were designed not to collapse from the force of a plane hitting them, cos they didn’t do that…

They collapsed not from the force of impact, but due to structural failure from the fire and contributory cumulative damage.

Plane hits != collapse
    Fire != collapse

Plane hits + fire + cumulative damage = collapse.

Also ‘designed for’ is all well and good, but it wasn’t exactly possible to test it was it? Even when people do their best to ‘design for things’ it doesn’t mean they get it right, or that something unexpected didn’t happen, or a factor that wasn’t anticipated or thought of.

Hasn’t this been debunked already numerous times over?

jonnyboi

That’s nonsense… everyone is focusing on the collapse of the towers (with conjecture, admittedly from both camps), as if it’s the be all and end all of the situation, without taking into account any of the additional factors.

there are no additional factors that are supported by a single shred of hard evidence. It makes our ‘conjecture’ seem like certain fact in comparison.

You’re just ignoring factual evidence that has been put before you, without any form of logical rebuttal, again, why?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Okaaaaaay…

So, remember this guy?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91UbgEXq0sE [/video]

jonnyboi

amedias – Member

What do you actually mean by this ‘designed for’ and ‘forces exceeding’? Do you mean they were designed not to collapse from the force of a plane hitting them, cos they didn’t do that…

They collapsed not from the force of impact, but due to structural failure from the fire and contributory cumulative damage.

Plane hits != collapse
    Fire != collapse

Plane hits + fire + cumulative damage = collapse.

Also ‘designed for’ is all well and good, but it wasn’t exactly possible to test it was it? Even when people do their best to ‘design for things’ it doesn’t mean they get it right, or that something unexpected didn’t happen, or a factor that wasn’t anticipated or thought of.

Hasn’t this been debunked already numerous times over?

indeed, no one is suggesting the plan impact alone caused the collapse.

The building was designed to structurally survive for 3hr in the event of sprinkler failure. It survived for around half that with a fire that was fueled by 90,000 litres of jet fuel spread over a wide area in one impact.

eazyd74
    Free Member

Apparently the buildings were designed to collapse in exactly the way they did in such an event. This was explained to a guy who was in a meeting in one of the buildings the day before the attack. Makes sense that they would be designed in this way to avoid taking out all the surrounding buildings, no?

jonnyboi

Okaaaaaay…

So, remember this guy?

nope, I’m not clicking on crazy you tube links.

Write your own replies supported by evidence

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve read somewhere that the worst case scenario was for a misty day and for a Boeing 707 coming in to land at JFK striking the building. But this was coming in to land with a low fuel load not having taken off fully laden which is why the hijackers chose to use planes leaving New York on long distance flights.

The original 707 had a maximum take-off weight of 117t and a fuel capacity of 65,000 litres, the 767-200er has a MTOW of 179t and a fuel capacity of 91,000 litres.

nealglover
    Free Member

homework question: which bits do you disagree with and why? show reasoning

As far as “things that will never happen” go, I’m really looking forward to Jivebunny’s homework question answer.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I can’t believe I fell for JHJ. I can normally spot a troll a mile off.
    People there are many good reasons to just ignore him/her. DISENGAGE.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Don%27t_feed_the_Troll
    http://theconversation.com/dont-feed-the-trolls-really-is-good-advice-heres-the-evidence-63657

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

I have one question that I would love to be answered by the conspiracy theorists.

If this was a controlled explosion, or anything else, other than a bunch of maniacs crashing planes into a building, then why bother with the planes?

Surely if you were going to use a bomb to down buildings, then a terrorist with a bomb is more plausable?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

My homework question is why he edited the post, adding that bit afterward… Not that I can be bothered to reply if he won’t watch valid youtube links.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91UbgEXq0sE[/video]

Expanding a little further from earlier this week:

According to a new report by Middle East Eye, Prince Bandar bin Sultan – Saudi Arabia’s most famous arms dealer, longtime former ambassador to the US, and recent head of Saudi intelligence – was among those detained as part of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s (MBS) so-called “corruption purge” that started with the initial arrests of up to a dozen princes and other top officials last weekend.

If confirmed, the arrest and detention of Bandar would constitute the most significant and high profile figure caught up in the purge – even above that of high profile billionaire investor Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal – given Bandar’s closeness to multiple US administrations and involvement in events ranging from Reagan’s Nicaraguan Contra program (including direct involvement in the Iran-Contra scandal), to making the case for the Iraq War as a trusted friend of Bush and Cheney, to directing US-Saudi covert operations overseeing the arming of jihadists in Syria.

amedias
    Free Member

So, in trying to understand this… The collapse would not be easy to replicate, so the towers in fact collapsed in quite an unpredictable way?

Not saying that all. It would be hard to replicate, because you’d need to do an awful lot of work to make it happen, this isn’t the same as meaning that the way it collapsed was unpredictable.

I’m saying, as others are, that after investigation the mechanisms and reasons for collapse are broadly speaking, now known. But the direction and nature of collapse (ie: downwards pretty much into a defined area) was a certainty given the situation. I’m not saying collapse was certain, but that the manner of collapse was…ie: it was never going to topple over, which means the fact that it didn’t doesn’t mean it was a controlled demolition.

what were the chances of them collapsing like that? This is not rhetorical, can you make an estimate of the likelihood?

No I can’t as I’m not a structural engineer, I don’t have a complete enough understanding to throw figures/probabilities around and I doubt anyone could prior to the event due to not being able to test the very specific nature of the event.

All we can say with any degree of certainty is that they did collapse in such a manner, and it was always going to be ‘downwards’.

outofbreath
    Free Member

If this was a controlled explosion, or anything else, other than a bunch of maniacs crashing planes into a building, then why bother with the planes?

…and given that you’d rigged three WTC buildings for demolition, wouldn’t you make sure you had arranged a plane for each building, since that’s your cover story? Seems a bit of a half hearted to organize planes for two buildings and then blow up WTC7 without bothering to fly a plane into it.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not that I can be bothered to reply……

Well. What a complete shock.

Honestly, I just can’t believe you’ve come up with a shite reason not to answer a really straightforward question.

It’s so out of character and unlike you, To ignore simple questions and rush of on another tangent to avoid getting pinned down talking bollocks.

Are you feeling ok ?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

All we can say with any degree of certainty is that they did collapse in such a manner, and it was always going to be ‘downwards’.

I think we can all agree that downward is the direction of gravity and that we are all amused at how often this is repeated. The issue is that there appeared to be minimal lateral forces.

Drac

I can’t believe I fell for JHJ. I can normally spot a troll a mile off.
    People there are many good reasons to just ignore him/her. DISENGAGE.

He’s not a troll he seriously believes it.

slowoldman

I’d hope it had far more structural integrity than a jenga tower…

It was, which is why it didn’t fall over in the same way.

sbob
    Free Member

valid youtube links

What does the link have to do with the collapse of the towers?
    Prince Bandar some sort of structural engineering expert? 😆

You’ve been called out on your tosh so are switching to some different sloblocks.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Not saying that all. It would be hard to replicate, because you’d need to do an awful lot of work to make it happen, this isn’t the same as meaning that the way it collapsed was unpredictable.

So… it was predictable? One would expect that given all possible collapse scenarios, the one that occurred was quite likely?

amedias
    Free Member

I think we can all agree that downward is the direction of gravity and that we are all amused at how often this is repeate

What amusing is that some people still seem not to be able to grasp this fact.

The issue is that there appeared to be minimal lateral forces.

That’s not an ‘issue’ at all, the reason there appeared to be minimal lateral forces is that there were minimal lateral forces.

Unless you’re aware of some significant lateraa force that we’ve all missed?

jam-bo

Unless you’re aware of some significant lateraa force that we’ve all missed?

Ghosts.

And unicorns.

sbob
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

The issue is that there appeared to be minimal lateral forces.

There were huge lateral forces when the plane hit the building; shook the whole tower. Took the resultant fire to take it down though.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,456 total)

The topic ‘9/11 documentary’ is closed to new replies.