Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 9-42 10 Speed Cassette from Leonardi Racing
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

9-11-13-15-18-21-24-29-35-42 from Leonardi Racing

for XD freehubs

might be useful for some

cyclistm
    Free Member

Nope, I just don’t get it sorry. Is the intention for it to be used as 1* 10 but retain the range of a triple?

scaredypants

Nope, I just don’t get it sorry

that’s what people will say about any of the 3 biggest sprockets

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Why would you get a xD free hub and then run it 1×10?

jonnyrockymountain

Too much range there for 10 speed, the last 2 rings jump 6 then 7
    For me the ideal 10 speed should go 11,13,15,18,21,24,29,34,39 then we don’t need 11 speed so come on shimano sort it out?
    Ps this is for 1×10 users, this with a 34t or 36t front would be ideal.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

cyclistm

you missed the whole xx1 movement then?

tpbiker
    Free Member

This looks expensive and fragile. If it fitted a normal hub I’d give it a bash, but it won’t so I won’t.

I’m definitely going to get one of those 42 tooth cogs that was featured on here a few days ago however. For 99% of my riding a 36 cog is fine, but I know that I’d like to have the bail out gear available to me if I need it

slackalice
    Free Member

It does look very nice….

But, I wonder at what point in time will some bike industry marketeer (or WMB/MBR journo’s) start telling us that to avoid the multiple gear changes to cope with instant gradient changes,blah blah blah, reduce rear wheel rotating mass blah blah, get the weight more evenly distributed in the lowest most central point of the bike blah blah blah, that the answer is in fact a quadruple front ring set-up!!????

2016 ish I reckon…. 😉

andyrm
    Free Member

Like it – Leonardi are doing some really cool stuff and pushing the boundaries. Logic I guess is that lots of manufacturers now have a XD freehub body for not a lot of money so you can get the XX1 range for just a cassette and body, rather than new drivetrain.

We need to see more of this – little firms trying out new things, tweaking what we think is possible, generally tinkering.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

We need to see more of this – little firms trying out new things, tweaking what we think is possible, generally tinkering.

yup

simondbarnes

I’d would be cursing the huge jumps between gears constantly if I used one of those. A 10 speed 11-34 is bad enough.

Speeder

What’s an XD freehub?

JoeG
    Free Member

slackalice – Member

It does look very nice….

But, I wonder at what point in time will some bike industry marketeer (or WMB/MBR journo’s) start telling us that to avoid the multiple gear changes to cope with instant gradient changes,blah blah blah, reduce rear wheel rotating mass blah blah, get the weight more evenly distributed in the lowest most central point of the bike blah blah blah, that the answer is in fact a quadruple front ring set-up!!????

2016 ish I reckon….

1988, actually. 😉

DanW
    Free Member

Nice product, thanks for posting.

If it isn’t any cheaper than an XX1 cassette then the attractions diminish greatly IMO- XX1 rear mechs and shifters can be found at decent prices but the cassette is so damn expensive everywhere! If the cassettes are the same price I’d be inclined to spend that bit extra and get an XX1 shifter and mech to go with the cassette have a much better spread of gearing done properly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

would be interested in trying the thing just to see the gaps and how they feel. Also to see how a normal Rear Mech plays with the big steps, part of me wonders how it will shift up and down those big steps.

Great to see someone doing something good, a cassette is a lot easier to make than a shifter and mech so the small guys can have a go. Seems like Shimano are not sure where to go next and are waiting to see if 11sp is popular enough to copy develop

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/s?q=hope+freehub&ss=2481
    and considering the price for the standard is the same as the XD from hope it’s not going to be that long before we have some more versions about. Maybe time for the hope freehub cassette to finally arrive

Edric64
    Free Member

9 tooth sprocket ? excellent with a 55 tooth ring for time trialling +162 inch gear !!

slackalice
    Free Member

Hey good shout JoeG! A bargain at $49.95 too! 😀

messiah
    Free Member

The XD freehub design removes the damage that normal cassettes always do to alloy freehubs. Making a 10spd cassette to fit the XD freehub is really cool 🙂

Not so sure about the 9 tooth as I’ve found the 10 tooth on XX1 to be a bit “lumpy” under power; not that I power much when in that gear as its mostly required only for road sections (XX1 is on my All Mountain bike).

mos

I think it would have been better to do a 10-40T one to keep the gaps a bit smaller & kind of make it an amalgamation between the XX1 10T bottom end & the LR 40T top end that they already do.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not long before it happens now…… Shortly after we hit 1×12 someone will invent a thick/thin chainring that shifts, andwork out that if we were to put another chainring at the front and a slim 6 speed cassette at the back, we’d have a stronger wheel with less dish, closer ratios and less weight, and hey presto! We’d be back on 6 speed of off 1987 and have gone full circle

😀

slackalice
    Free Member

Tsk, that’s wheels for you 🙂

shortcut

That looks rubbish.

2×10 is fine for me and my shifting works well. Or if you really want wide ratios and 1x something buy SRAM X1 or X01. Or go 1×10 with a 36 and build up those puny legs.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Nice. I’d happily replace my General Lee adapter with that.

santacruzn2
    Free Member
    santacruzn2
    Free Member

General Lee 942 Cassette – Sram XX1 alternative NEW MODEL

Has just been release in Expobici – Padova

It’s already available for sale

9.42T

10 Speed

9-11-13-15-18-21-24-29-35-42

XD Hub compatibility

Aluminium 7075 T6 CNC machined

SRAM Type 2 Derraileur long cage required

Also available in 9.38 Version: 9-11-13-15-17-20-23-27-32-38 (Compatible with Sram and Shimano Derraileurs)

Available on ebay.com

njee20
    Free Member

Aluminium. So like every other one before it it’ll be flexy, shift badly and wear out in seconds.

santacruzn2
    Free Member

Only the first 3 cogs are aluminium, the cassette body is made of steel

D0NK

For me the ideal 10 speed should go 11,13,15,18,21,24,29,34,39

hmm dunno, one thing I like about 10spd is it’s a standard 9spd 11-32 cassette with a 36 bolted on*, natural progresison to 11spd to bolt on a 42, I didn’t like the jumps on a 9spd 11-34. 10spd 11-39 would be a nice option to atleast try tho.

*do not see much point in 10spd 11-32/34 cassettes myself, but who knows maybe some people are even more sensitive to gear jumps than me.

njee20
    Free Member

Ah ok, I saw “aluminium” in the spec and started twitching! Still can’t see that shifting well or lasting, but fair play for doing it!

I’ve also just seen the price – $400 on eBay, so more than an XX1 cassette.

Where’s that shitty stick I use to not touch things like this!?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Where’s that shitty stick I use to not touch things like this!?

I think Hora’s using it to beat off the burds.

But you can borrow my bargepole if you’d like to use the correct tool for the job

santacruzn2
    Free Member

I’ve also just seen the price – $400 on eBay, so more than an XX1 cassette

It’s not cheap, but considering you don’t have to buy XX1 trigger, cranks, derraileur, etc… it might be an option to think about

About shifting, I’ll let you know when it arrives and go for a ride

honourablegeorge

“SRAM Type 2 Dérailleur long cage required” – does that mean Shimano incompatible, for some reason?

lovewookie

personally I would think that if you were going to have a 9t sprocket you’d pitch it at something like a 24 or 26t chainring and run perhaps 9-30t which is about the same as a 11-42 while not having to botch your mech to get to the 42.

oh, the weigh saving too, of course (I’ve not got over the 90’s)

Now if we could get a Capreo freehub on a disc hubshell….

santacruzn2
    Free Member

“SRAM Type 2 Dérailleur long cage required” – does that mean Shimano incompatible, for some reason?

9.42 cassette was developed and tuned for Sram derraileurs, I think it has to do with shifting performance
    With 9.38 both can be used Shimano or Sram

njee20
    Free Member

It’s not cheap, but considering you don’t have to buy XX1 trigger, cranks, derraileur, etc… it might be an option to think about

You don’t need the cranks anyway, but yes, you save the cost of the shifter and rear mech.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘9-42 10 Speed Cassette from Leonardi Racing’ is closed to new replies.