Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • £8.5k for a Ibis Mojo HD3……
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’m usually not surprised by prices, I generally think a decent bike that I’ll buy for a season is gonna be between £3.5k and £5k, and might need to change wheelset and saddle to be happy.

But….. the new Mojo HD3 is £8.5k. Who in their right mind would buy that over something like a Canyon Strive, Spectral, Reign, Capra?

Is there really the market for such a high valued bike? What would be the direct competitors? Nomad, Bronson? Trance Advanced, Trek Remedy 9.8?

The tester bought the bike, so immediately the review becomes biased, as he’s gonna justify the huge price spend, hence this comment – which still results in 4.5 stars:

“It is an unquestionably pricey steed, though, and its less-than-stellar value proposition is the only thing holding it back from a better final score. No matter how you slice it, it’s a touch disappointing to find Deore XT brakes, heavy aluminum cranks, and house-brand cockpit components on a bike with such a premium price tag.”

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-ibis-cycles-mojo-hd3-49026/

Ricks

woodster

Mental money. Must have given him a big discount not to bang on about that price.

How much is the frame? Must be cheaper to knock your own up with a better spec than that? Even paying someone to build it up.

honourablegeorge

Frnk is about 2.5K, wheels are Ibis’s own brand carbon at about 1.5K (less?) – set of 36s are 1K, whick leaves 3.5K for groupset, wheels, dropper and other bits.

That build sounds like shit value, you could buy and build the equivalent for a lot cheaper.

Nomad/SB6c/Dune Carbon are all more expensive as a frame.

fathomer

The frames are £2.6k I think, like Santa Cruz, Orange etc. much better value building yourself.

Edit: Basically what George said 😀

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

You can pick up a frame for about £2300. You could easily do a solid build for another £1500. I know; I priced one up!

That said, Ibis’ wheels are stellar – worth the money if you can afford it but, ultimately, whether you can justify them over spending £500 for a good set of wheels is up to you.

DickBarton

Thing is, there are people who are happy to pay ludicrous amounts for the badge. I’d struggle to reason with spending more than 1.5k if it is for a season…it just isn’t worth spending more that frequently and even that is a huge amount of money to spend.
    However, people spending that will believe it is better or they deserve it or can afford it so why not…it is still overpriced but there are people who think it is worth it.
    Those prices then make suppliers of all the parts then think they can up their prices as people will spend that amount!

teethgrinder

Buy if: You’re after a true one-bike quiver

Get in the **** sea, you ****.

Northwind

Lovely looking bike mind and still have a bit of stardust to sell. Maybe the idea is that someone spending £8000 by definition has stopped worrying about value, they’re so deep in the diminishing returns.

Anyone else think the sizing’s weird? I know my bike’s big but we compared my medium to the XL ChrisL borrowed and they’re really pretty close. It seemed very much a large, and not a big large…

thepodge
    Free Member

I think the term “get in the sea” is very much due getting in the sea its self

teethgrinder

thepodge – Member
    I think the term “get in the sea” is very much due getting in the sea its self

We do appear to have reached peak get in the sea, but I tend to reserve it for poor value ‘superbike’ reviews, and when the Wife mentions Christmas.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

Anyone else think the sizing’s weird? I know my bike’s big but we compared my medium to the XL ChrisL borrowed and they’re really pretty close. It seemed very much a large, and not a big large…

Reach is short. 431 for large compared to a lot of others is short – they did go less for the “stretched out enduro bike” and more the “long travel trail”.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

It is an unquestionably pricey steed

That word invalidates the review.

moneytrain81
    Free Member

Review mentions it is a bike that crosses the bridge of compromise . . . . Then proceeds to have a few items on it that are clearly compromised, saddle, dropper, and many more that could prob be better given the final cost.

matt_outandabout

The DFS of the bike world?

teethgrinder

The Officers’ Club, more like.

deviant
    Free Member

People will buy it in the same way they buy ‘prestige’ German cars that continuously fall behind Japanese brands in reliability tests.
    For some the feel good factor is in the buying and posing not the riding and performance….style over substance.

coogan
    Free Member

How the hell does that cost £8.5K? It’s not a crazy spec. I know I spent a spunk of cash on my Pivot Mach 6 but no where near that amount and mine has SRAM X11.

nickc

Having looked at the build spec, how in the world has that got to that price?

FuzzyWuzzy

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of each part (RRP & real-world pricing) and see if either is close to £8.5k, does seem they are making a huge margin on it. It’s not a unique things though, I priced up a top-end S-Works Roubaix road bike a few years ago and even using RRP for all the bits I couldn’t get within £1k of what Spesh were charging.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Yep mine was much better value building myself, mine came in a few k less than that and has XX1/XTR group set, 36 up front, Hope brakes as I preferred them to XTR’s, Thompson dropper, SIXC carbon bars, Hope parts for the rest of it etc. Wheels are Derby carbon rather than Ibis as I wanted them on hope hubs and building Derby’s on my choice of seemed better value.

The top end build kits of the SC’s, Ibis, Yeti etc are getting really poor value IMO. Found it much cheaper to get exactly what I wanted, and most of that was from standard bricks and mortar shops as they were prepared to come to an agreement on a deal. And I wanted to build myself so a win win for me.

Saying that the same build as the one reviewed but with X01 and X1 (still with carbon wheels) is £6.3k retail (still overpriced IMO) and you will likely be able to get a discount, you really don’t need to spend the price they listed!

Also the build they list has been dropped from the UK market it seems.

I bought it as for me it was the perfect bike and I wanted the build exactly as I wanted, cost was slightly less than other brands (about £300) as the frame was marginally cheaper just a long lead time, but I think that is true of any frame when its new. But you really don’t need to spend 8.5k particularly for the items you get.

scuttler

It’s a US review and if you change the locale from UK to US via the flag thingy at the top it lists the price at $7,900.00 which xe.com reckons is £5,053.32.

Not sure how 5k stacks up but there’s clearly been some exchange problems and it’s definitely not an £8.5k bike.

That is all.

wl
    Free Member

A few flashy suckers will buy it, so it makes perfect commercial sense to make it.

sprocker
    Free Member

My mate bought that spec bike here at 6.3k (still crazy money !!)

chrismac

Thing is, there are people who are happy to pay ludicrous amounts for the badge.

Indeed, look at the number of Santa Cruz bikes people pay way over the odds for

Superficial
    Free Member

That is a mental amount of money. In the past, the premium brands have had a weight / quality / finish advantage over the cheaper brands. But the reality is that now, a Strive (what I ride) or a Capra have top notch frames which are at least on a par with Ibis / Yeti / SC and perhaps even surpass them.

You’d be an idiot to pay £8.5k for that.

chiefgrooveguru

£8.5k for something you can have a ton of fun on seems to be a conspicuous bargain compared to spending the same to add ceramic brakes and air suspension to a Porsche Cayenne. In the £4k+ price bracket bike manufacturers are no longer just competing with cheaper bikes, they’re competing with a myriad of lifestyle accessories. I mean, what does a boat cost?

If Ibis can sell them at that price then all power to them – it’s not like anyone at the company is going to be earning a fortune, it’s too niche a product. I like seeing really nice bikes out being used, I like people who don’t really use their bikes buying them because it supports the industry and keeps good availability of decent used bikes and I’m happy enough with my bikes to not suffer from jealousy.

I probably have a different perspective to many because my business makes fairly expensive very well reviewed niche products and no-one is getting rich from it, much to my dismay! 😉

breatheeasy
    Free Member

It’s not a unique things though, I priced up a top-end S-Works Roubaix road bike a few years ago and even using RRP for all the bits I couldn’t get within £1k of what Spesh were charging.

Specialized do it all the time on their top end bikes. On a quiet day I costed up one of their carbon mtbs and I had a sizeable amount of ‘virtual cash’ left even with a few cheeky ‘upgrades’ to the spec.

jimjam
    Free Member

That’s the bike for the guy who wants the most expensive MTB in the shop.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I saw one at a recent race and the gap in the frame behind the head tube was just the right size for the guy to wedge his banana in. Worth £8.5k for this feature alone! Very Enduro! 😉

I suppose now cycling is the new golf there are plenty of people out there who will pay what it takes to get a ‘top end bike’ and the likes of Ibis and Santa Cruz know this.

I built my Santa Cruz up myself for significantly less than what a full build would have cost and I’m sure most others on here would do the same. But I am pleased there are people buying these ludicrously priced bikes, pumping money into the industry.

chiefgrooveguru

To hell with bigger wheels and improved kinematics, it’s all about banana storage solutions! Specialized are currently winning on that front…

chakaping
    Free Member

Reviewer might have paid 50% of the US retail price, rather than 100% of the UK price.

wrecker
    Free Member

Bikeradar reviews are a complete waste of time.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Frame only £2900 with Pike RCT3 “upgrade” £3890 ? £990 for a Pike? thats offensive.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Frame only £2900 with Pike RCT3 “upgrade” £3890 ? £990 for a Pike? thats offensive.

You’re looking at US prices Frame only is £2650 with DB inline, on the Ibis site, although I paid a fair chunk less as most would have done.

UK does not have frame and shock option, only frame only and full builds. But you’re looking at the pike price in USD.

tpbiker
    Free Member

im all for spending your own money on what you can afford, but do rich people not still have an appreciation for value for money?

It strikes me that with very little effort on the internet the same bike could be put together for sub 6k…

spectabilis
    Free Member

You’re looking at US prices Frame only is £2650 with DB inline, on the Ibis site, although I paid a fair chunk less as most would have done.

UK does not have frame and shock option, only frame only and full builds. But you’re looking at the pike price in USD.

Doh ! missed that … cheers Robert

Superficial
    Free Member

Bikeradar reviews are a complete waste of time.

ORLY?

Even the tyres – particularly the rear – need riding in an almost caricature fashion. You need to swap a skim of brake belay while you tip in for a full on base jump of commitment as you slam the tips of the Sensus grips onto the floor to get the shoulder knobs biting.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-yt-industries-capra-cf-pro-race-15-49634/

fathomer

I’ve not read that review but if it actually says that, I don’t know what half of it means 😕

ojom
    Free Member

Hey

You can view what we offer in the UK on this page http://www.ibiscycles.co.uk/bikes-and-frames-ibis-uk/Mojo-HD3

We are adding more kits to that for MY16 which will be around Eurobike. i.e. there will also now be an XT1x option.

Where the US journo calculated the price from I am not sure.

We are also adding Fox shock options for MY16 as Fox have really come up a notch with the DPS Evol and X2 and it is appropriate to offer them.

Hope that helps a little.

Mark
    Mr Ibis, 2pure.

chiefgrooveguru

im all for spending your own money on what you can afford, but do rich people not still have an appreciation for value for money?
    It strikes me that with very little effort on the internet the same bike could be put together for sub 6k…

Wealthy people pay for nannies, cleaners, gardeners, drivers etc. Why wouldn’t they pay for someone else to choose all the parts and put the bike together for them? And it’s only “very little effort” if you already have the expertise to choose the correct parts!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘£8.5k for a Ibis Mojo HD3……’ is closed to new replies.