Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 70s/80s fancy dress ideas
  • sadexpunk

Don’t usually entertain such silliness but my mates having a party in a couple of weeks with the above theme. I’m sure there’ll be the usual suspects there, Gary glitter and john Travolta etc, but id like to think of something a bit different. Did think of the Yorkshire ripper but not sure really.

Anyone got any original ideas?

Thanks

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Go as someone from Hebden Bridge.

I was there at the weekend, I fell in love with the wonderful place… not sure it’s in the 21st Century though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

well he could hang out with Gary Glitter 😯 — is Prince harry Invited?

organic355
    Free Member

was at a 70s party the other week and someone turned up as jimmy saville. just get a really bad shiny shell suit, string vest, white wig, jewelry and cigar, job done.

binners

Go as one of Wham. Pair of short shorts, bit of suntan oil, some highlights. Sorted!

wombat

I’ve got a 70’s Vegas Elvis costume complete with cape and a rubber quiff/headpiece that you can have for £20 posted 😉

crikey
    Free Member

Now then, now then, a young man, a young man, sent a letter to me.

He was asking if I could fix it for him to go to a party dressed as me.

Rattle rattle, jewelry jewelry, Showaddywaddy..

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Go as Boy George – you know you want to…..

crikey
    Free Member

The Phantom Flan Flinger.

hels
    Free Member

How about Gordon Gecko ?? Braces and huge mobile phone. Ironic comment on the “greed is good” ethos returning to haunt us.

And slasher films were big in the 80s. Go as Jason, or Leatherface. Pour a bucket of blood over the GF and she can be Carrie.

binners

Suzi Quatro?

Go on… admit it… you’ve always seen yourself in a leather catsuit

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Go as one of The Goodies ‘Ecky Thump’ Style

Gotta be a winning outfit!

binners

rogerthecat
    Free Member

bluebird
    Free Member

There was a lot of this nonsense going on in the 80’s

binners

There still is in Liverpool 🙂

MrsToast
    Free Member

A fraggle from Fraggle Rock.

donsimon
    Free Member

Some big collars, big glasses and big sideburns… Do it.

Do it.

DezB
    Free Member

Go as the bloke out of Boney M.

Look, I found you a photo to get an idea

Drac

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

70’s

Sad ex Punk

Not got any punk gear left / imagination to improvise -no one dresses punk for 70s fancy dress but why not?

McHamish
    Free Member

You could go as Del Boy…you have a few options to make it a little bit more funny;

– wear a cheap raincoat
    – get hold of an old VHS video recorder to carry about with you
    – get hold of some cheap watches and stick them to the inside of the raincoat
    – get a blow up doll with ‘Caution – Flamable Gas’ written on it
    – get some big cigars
    – bring your own cocktail glass with umbrellas and other stuff in, and insist on drinking Cherryaid/7up and Malibu
    – get hold of a cheap suitcase and fill it with crap and try to flog it to people

A friend went to a Hawaii party dressed as Magnum PI, but he also made a red car out of cardboard which he wore at waist level. You could try that if you can be bothered to make a car.

If you’re feeling lazy and want to look relatively sensible, you could go as someone from The Specials – get a 2nd hand suit that looks 80’s ish, some loafers and wear a pork pie.

Cougar

I was invited to an 80s themed fancy dress party a couple of years ago. I suggested going as an 80s rocker, and was told that for me that wouldn’t be fancy dress… )-:

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Surely all you need is one of these

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Last 80’s fancy dress I went I went as morrissey. Dead easy, ripped jeans, patterned shirt some flowers and a quiff.

McHamish
    Free Member

There was a lot of this nonsense going on in the 80’s

That looks a little more 90’s to me…

What about finding some black trousers with red/white flecks of thread in them…

jota180
    Free Member

McHamish
    Free Member

Or you could go as an 80’s stock broker…get hold of some sherbert dips and sprinkle it on you and offer it to people, stick wads of Monopoly money in your pockets. If you can, get hold of a massive mobile phone (or make one), and get a filofax.

beej

I was at one recently – dressed as Ted from Bill & Ted. There was a good Indiana Jones, and a Marty McFly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Was it specified as 19 80s? Could open up your options if not.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Or, if you’re single and there will be single women there you need a white naval aviator uniform. Topgun or officer and a gentleman. Trust me, It’s like catnip to them.

derek_starship
    Free Member

This would be an easy look to re-create and is pretty cool and is from smack bang in the middle of the target years.

derek_starship
    Free Member

looks 80’s ish, some loafers and wear a pork pie.

So not a good look McHamish.

sadexpunk

I’ve got a 70’s Vegas Elvis costume complete with cape and a rubber quiff/headpiece that you can have for £20 posted

thanks, if i get stuck i may go for that 🙂

Not got any punk gear left / imagination to improvise -no one dresses punk for 70s fancy dress but why not?

thats been suggested to me TJ, but firstly, no i havent got any left, and more importantly PUNK WASNT FANCY DRESS IT WAS A WAY OF LIFE!! OK?? 😀

some decent ideas there. i like the idea of some but possibly too hard to get the gear.

thanks, keep em coming 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

You could go as someone from 2012 who has developed a time travel device but didn’t research the 70’s/80’s era very well and just came in what he was wearing.

maccruiskeen

Make sure you have the same take on the theme as everyone else. As students we had a 70’s theme for an end of term night out. In the weeks before hand we all got a bit (more) unshaven to be able to shave back to sideburns and moustaches and gathered cords and tanktops and patterned shirts and duffle coats from the charity shops. Come time for the night out everyone gathered in the local looking a bit like the cast from Life on Mars (or a group of geography teachers). Except one guy who’d got the wrong end of the stick – and turned up as Dylan from the Magic Roundabout

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘70s/80s fancy dress ideas’ is closed to new replies.