Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 7 stanes
  • crapjumper
    Free Member

I’m taking my son and nephew (both 12 yrs old) to gorsebank in dalbeattie with the intention of us doing as much of the 7 stanes as possible .We’re getting there early on thursday 22nd aug and going home sunday afternoon . Has anyone got any suggestions which way round to do the trails to squeeze in as much as poss during the weekend ? thanks guys

somafunk

With kids that age i’d plan to do Dalbeattie “moyle hill blue trail”on thursday as it is mostly 10km fireroad with 4km of singletrack so the kids will gradually build confidence, then on friday get up early and head to glentrool to do the “Green Tor blue trail” in the morning and really take your time and dawdle around it as the trail is quite short (10km) but typically one of the best blue easy going/swoopy singletrack trails so enjoy the views and watch as your son and nephew build their confidence up then on the way home bout lunchtime/early afternoon pop into kirroughtree to do the “Larg Hill Blue trail” at 10km with the option of an extra 4km of blue to add on dependant on how they feel – then on saturday head to Mabie and do the blue or possibly the red dependant on how confidant they feel.

If you need any spares or help then pop into our bike shop in Castle Douglas, Next Level Bikes (shameless plug eh?) and we’ll advise further, have fun!.

Trekster

Dalbeattie as you probably know is just out the back from Gorsebank.
    Mabie is about 1/2hr away by car.
    Kirroughtree is a 1hr drive from Dalbeattie.
    Ae is approx 45mins.
    Drumlanrigg is probably about the same.
    DGone is the local, Dumfries liesure centre.
    There is the ice bowl for skating
    Lots of walking especially the coastal path from Kipford or Rockcliffe to Sandyhills.

http://www.lagganoutdoor.co.uk/ This is on the way or back from Kirry.

Another nearby option; http://www.lochken.co.uk/

Re Mabie blue…If they are competent bikers it is a waste of time. An easy paced ride on the red missing out the Burn Splash and the Scorpion climb that follows it would be my choice.

The blue at Ae has a cracking new decent on it 😆 start on the red round to where the junctions split towards Granny Greenlove and keep right for a good wee circuit. The rest of the route is fairly flat along the riverside but still good fun imo.

Maps can be downloaded from 7Stanes site for free if you join up for the newsletter.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Thanks somafunk and trekster ,you’ve given me some great local advice

Trekster

Something to keep the midges at bay is an essential piece of kit 😆

Bagstard
    Free Member

The skills loop at Dalbeattie is good fun.

Scapegoat

And the skills Loop at Mabie isn’t bad either…. great tabletops and some drops/steps to learn confidence on. The Dalbeattie blue and red mix is great for the less experienced…. has some great chutes and a wallride.

Trekster

The skills loop at Dalbeattie is good fun.

. + 1. Although landing on granite can be rather painful if you get it wrong!!

Kirry one is closed to accommodate new visitor centre build.

Mabie one is a bit tame but there is a jump area which ” could cause injury ” if you get it wrong!!
    If you want to repeat the big berms at Mabie you can push back up via the trail that was created as a bypass during construction. Trail is hidden behind a tree at the end of the section 😉

Ae has the Shredder which is a junior DH track with a few smallish jumps, fait pedal to the top though. As earlier the blue DH with is big berms is fun….

mick_r

My 10 year old happily rides all of the red at Mabie (8 gears and rigid, includes riding the scorpion climb as it isn’t actually very long – just steep). The burn splash mentioned by Trekster can also be tricky for kids (but mine like the singletrack after it / before the Scorpion). There is also a single big drop-off near the end of the red that can catch them out so maybe better if you ride in front during the latter stages.

The whole family loves Kirroughtree and it is definitely worth the drive out west. Blue and red share the same start. If they are doing OK, keep going on the red. If struggling, then it is easy to switch to blue / short cut etc. The last bit of red (before it rejoins blue) has a few bits that might catch kids out.

Trekster

There is also a single big drop-off

The “Bad Step” follows the descent off Elevator

The other tricky wee bit if you do venture towards Burn Splash is the ramp up’n over some tree roots, catches the inexperienced.

Burn Splash:

Mabie Blingspeeder18 by john_henry_mtb, on Flickr

mick_r

Yep – they’re the ones.

The step is a bit big for 24″ wheels. He’s OK now on 26″ and with some short suspension forks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘7 stanes’ is closed to new replies.