Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • £650 pcm car allowance, what to get?
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

The wife, who seems to have performed quite well this year; has to order a new lease car. Clueless as to what to order? ideas? Can you get anything half tidy for 650 pcm?

Me? Thanks for asking, would go for a Kinesis ATP…………..

titusrider
    Free Member

porsche boxer s should be easy at that money! That’s a lot!

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Whoa! Back up there Titus Rider, she is not having a Boxster. She needs 4 seats!

peterfile
    Free Member

Is she being offered it as a car allowance? If so, remember it’s taxable…so it’s actually £400ish if she’s a higher rate tax payer.

Cletus

Has your wife not been given a login to a quote tool operated by whichever lease company she has to order from?

e.g. http://www.leaseplan.co.uk/

With that amount she should be able to get something nice.

An Audi Q5 would be worth a look

andyl
    Free Member

XF Estate? No idea what cars you can get for £650 a month but sounds a lot.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s a lot! I thought my £380 got some nice cars!

molgrips
    Free Member

http://www.allcarleasing.co.uk

Top of the list for £600pcm is a Maserati. Nice!

loddrik
    Free Member

**** me!!! A £650 a month car allowance!!!?? Which multinational is she the chief exec of?

rkk01
    Free Member

**** me!!! A £650 a month car allowance!!!??

Words
    From
    My
    Mouth…!

Daffy

Range Rover Evoque.

molgrips
    Free Member

Basically, take your pick of nice motors!

Drac

peterfile
    Free Member

**** me!!! A £650 a month car allowance!!!?? Which multinational is she the chief exec of?

If it’s a car allowance (ie paid to you in cash) then £650 isn’t that high. The lowest amount in our scheme at work is about £600 IIRC

It’s supposed to allow you to “run” a car…so take 40% off, then cost of lease/finance, insurance, maintenance etc.

If she’s basically picking a car up to the value of £650 a month and they are providing it to her…i’d suggest you start looking at the P11D values. For example, if she gets into a Cayman S, she’ll be paying an extra £6,500 a year in tax…£540 a month.

garage-dweller

Is she being offered it as a car allowance? If so, remember it’s taxable…so it’s actually £400ish if she’s a higher rate tax payer

And £400 won’t get you into a Maserati. In fact depending on mileage limit its possibly not nearly as exciting as the headline number suggests

molgrips
    Free Member

If it’s a car allowance (ie paid to you in cash) then £650 isn’t that high. The lowest amount in our scheme at work is about £600 IIRC

I’m two bands above the first band that gets a car in our place and I get £380 before tax. As for tax etc, it’s a benefit so you get to spend that whole amount before tax (and taxed elsewhere on BIK). Maintenance and depreciation are taken care of because you are leasing, it’s all included.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m two bands above the first band that gets a car in our place and I get £380 before tax. As for tax etc, it’s a benefit so you get to spend that whole amount before tax (and taxed elsewhere on BIK).

How does that work Mol? Mine just goes on as cash in my monthly pay, so i’m taxed on it then can spend it on a car… or coke and hookers.

Do you have to spend it on a car??

wallop

Mine is just cash on top of monthly pay too – all taxed.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

In fact depending on mileage limit its possibly not nearly as exciting as the headline number suggests

Although it is a little better than the community nursing staff get.

peterfile
    Free Member

Although it is a little better than the community nursing staff get.

If a company car was high up on your list of “wants” from a career then you’d probably be better advised to take a job as a middle manager in for a company manufacturing widgets than getting into community nursing 🙂

ericemel
    Free Member

335d

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

If a company car was high up on your list of “wants” from a career then you’d probably be better advised to take a job as a middle manager in for a company manufacturing widgets than getting into community nursing

I know. Did my degree in Marketing but wanted to do something more worthwhile with my life.

**** idiot. Me? Yes.

garage-dweller

then can spend it on a car… or coke and hookers.

Why would you spend your car allowance on soft drinks and rugby players?

peterfile
    Free Member

I know. Did my degree in Marketing but wanted to do something more worthwhile with my life.

**** idiot. Me? Yes.

I wouldn’t say that…every time I pass a new 520 or A6 on the way to work, being piloted by a man in a shirt with a look of emptiness on his face, I always think that the drive in, being stuck in traffic, will be the most rewarding thing he does that day 😉 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Did my masters in town planning. Now drive a black cab part time. Dreams dreams dreams….

molgrips
    Free Member

How does that work Mol?

Well I may be talking arse here. We can either choose cash, whereby it gets taxed (as I do) or you can get a lease car through the company. All paid for before tax but that’s why you have to pay BIK as the company are leasing you a car. That’s what BIK is for. If they give you cash then you can buy your own car which is then yours.

As for emptiness.. Imagine your job was to be an expert in mountain bikes. Any time someone struggled with their build, needed advice on setup or kit, or needed advice on trails, they would call you up. Perhaps someone is designing a new range of bikes and they need your help for the mtbs. When you’re not at a customer you get to tinker with bikes, build new stuff and try it out, so you know better how to advise your customers. My job is like that, only with computers. And I love computers 🙂

tonyg2003

£650pcm car allowance sounds good. I need to have a word with the boss of my company …. Not sure he’ll go for it (trouble with being tight and running your own company 🙂 ). Do t even have a cycle to work scheme!

wideboy
    Free Member

So ignoring all the random faff above, what car for 650 pcm (ish)?

Hands down Mercedes C63 AMG Wagon 😀

I’m so tempted it hurts! Good enough for the F1 medical car, good enough for me!

Google a vid and just listen yo the sound 🙂

(We’ll ignore feeding the 6.3L beast…)

br
    Free Member

I use to get £9k per annum or equivalent 5 Series, but took a cheaper company Vectra which meant after BIK I had an extra £100 net per week in my pay.

It’s cash. Spend it wisely.

MoreCashThanDash

If it’s £400 a month after tax, my mate was recently quoted that on a Mazda 6 for 30,000 miles a year.

scaredypants

Why would you spend your car allowance on soft drinks and rugby players?

No, no – he means Hoes
    😉

TiRed

Does she have to lease a car? Our scheme specifies that employees must have a car available if they take the allowance. The sum will finance purchase and all running costs for a reasonable used car. Or… since we already have one car and do not need a second, my allowance goes on bike spending!

peterfile
    Free Member

If it’s £400 a month after tax, my mate was recently quoted that on a Mazda 6 for 30,000 miles a year.

As nice as the Mazda is…you can get in a 530 M Sport for the same price (only 15k miles though).

molgrips
    Free Member

As above. If you get something flash the BIK will hurt (unless you ate minted obv) and remember you still have to put your own fuel in it 🙂

In our scheme you have to have a car available if you take the cash. Not a problem.for us as we already had the car.

totalshell

so for us numpties walking to work..£650 a month car allowance isnt worth having infact youd be better off walking?

wrecker
    Free Member

£325/month got me a nice sensible BMW 320d efficientdynamics touring. If it’s being offered as a company car, it has low emissions and moderate BIK value.
    It’s not massive or overly fast but it is a nice practical, comfortable car which drives well.

MoreCashThanDash

Having reread the OP, is this car from work, or a reward for being a top performing wife? 😐

Not sure I want MrsMC to hear about this new reward system on mumsnet!

molgrips
    Free Member

£650 a month car allowance isnt worth having infact youd be better off walking?

If I didn’t have the cash option, I’d probably have an A4 or similar I reckon. The OP could easily get a nice A4, 520d, C class etc and have enough left over (presuming you get to pocket the difference) to cover the BIK. Nice motoring, for free.

However I take the cash which comes out at about £280/mo. Pays for any car loan I’d take plus insurance, servicing etc and I get to keep the car when the loan’s done and spend the money on soft drinks and rugby players.

However.. hm. If the lady in question works in sales or some image-sensitive area then they may want her to roll up to clients in some flash motor. Worth asking.

iolo
    Free Member

http://www.lingscars.com/

Crazy website but have a look anyway.
    There’s some good deals.

peterfile
    Free Member

However I take the cash which comes out at about £280/mo. Pays for any car loan I’d take plus insurance, servicing etc and I get to keep the car when the loan’s done and spend the money on soft drinks and rugby players.

However.. hm. If the lady in question works in sales or some image-sensitive area then they may want her to roll up to clients in some flash motor. Worth asking.

+1

I get loads for a car allowance and drive around in a 10.5 year old car and use the money to support a massive soft drink habit instead. No one here really needs a car for work, the allowance came about because of an office relocation. Our car park is quite interesting, quite obvious who spends their allowance on cars and who spends it on something else!

However, as molgrips says, if she needs the car for a client facing job, she might not get away with buying an old car. In fact, some places have rules regarding carbon emissions etc.

Iolo – Lings always seems to throw out some of the most expensive deals I can find.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘£650 pcm car allowance, what to get?’ is closed to new replies.