Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • £6 per MB
  • jfletch
    Free Member

I’m currently outside the EU and O2 want to charge me £6 for ever MB of data I use. So with 1MB of data being basically useless I’m clearly not going to turn on roaming and I assume almost nobody would. So surely O2 are shooting themselves in the foot here. Charge a high but realistic fee for a decent amount of data and I’d definitely pay and they’d have made an extra ~£20 out of me this week instead of nothing.

Does anyone actually pay for roaming data at these rates?

tomhoward

It’s capped at £40 IIRC, I forget what the max data limit is though.

edit yep, limited to £40 and 50MB per billing month. So if you’re going to use it, use it all.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Agreed seems a bit shortsighted but I imagine they make their money from business users who just pay it regardless. I always kept my roaming data off and used hotel wifi, now with three it’s included so using it more.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Totally agree with the OP – for years the rates were so stupid I’d turn off data roaming the moment I left the UK and didn’t dare turn it on again – frankly I wouldn’t use the thing at all unless I had to.

Now with the new EU rules I’m quite happy to use it abroad, my bill from a week’s trip to France this year was about £20 of roaming fees and whatever else – it’s a price I’ll pay and £20 EE wouldn’t have had otherwise.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just went to Sweden, it was something like £2.50/day for 20MB/day, which is very little. So I kept roaming off. Still too expensive.

AlexSimon

Do they allow you to buy it in advance?
    With EE, I think you can let them know before you go and they charge you £3 for 50MB any day that you use it.

GrahamS

I’m currently outside the EU and O2 want to charge me £6 for ever MB of data I use.

Ouch! That’s very pricey.

For comparison if you activate O2 Travel then you pay £1.99 for one day of unlimited data within Europe!

jfletch
    Free Member

Yep. The £1.99 for unlimited in EU is great and I’ve used it before. Even if it was double that outside the EU I’d use it but no joy. I bet it’s some shortsighted thinking that if I have data then I won’t be using and roaming mins and texts as I’d just use apps that use the data instead but as it is I just don’t use the phone unless I’m on hotel WIFI.

GrahamS

I bet it’s some shortsighted thinking that if I have data then I won’t be using and roaming mins and texts

I suspect it is just that they make most of their money on business users that “need” data roaming outside the EU, regardless of the cost.

iain1775
    Free Member

One word
    Three
    🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Your network has to pay the network on which you are roaming when you use it. I suspect that the foreign networks are the ones putting the price through the roof tbh.

GrahamS

One word
    Three
    🙂

Depends where the OP is.

Picking China as a random example, Three also charge £6 per MB.

cheers_drive

With Three I can use my normal tariff minutes and MBs when roaming in many countries:
    Australia
    Austria
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Hong Kong
    Indonesia
    Israel
    Italy
    Macau
    Norway
    Republic of Ireland
    Sri Lanka
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    United States

It’s the hotels that still charge ridiculous amounts for wifi that get me.

GrahamS

Always worth carrying a little wireless access point like a TP Link Nano in case the hotel has ethernet points in the room but charges more for wifi.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I hope companies sort something out. 20 or 50 MB is useless to me on average I use about 130mb a day.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

EDIT delte double post

ampthill

Not a service I use but I expect O2 view this in one of two ways

Analysis shows that his will yield the most profit. penalising business users who just carry on and the to dim to tun off roaming

or

possibley

The billing etc. is just such a pain that we would rather nor bother. But as some people insist we’ll charge so much that it’ll put most people off

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘£6 per MB’ is closed to new replies.