• This topic has 25 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by igm.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 5th Birthday Party suggestions
  • oddjob
    Free Member

Apparently there are going to be about 7 kids turning up at our house on Sunday expecting to be fed and entertainted for a couple of hours.

Any suggestions of the best way to achieve both of the above?

I have no ideas at all and my wife is stressing about it as well as she is snowed under at work and doesn’t have much time to prepare anything.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

where you?

Cougar

5th birthday? I could be wrong, but I think tradition would dictate strippers and a keg.

grievoustim
    Free Member

at that age I would expect parents to stay at the party with their kids

this means you don’t have to worry too much about controling the hordes

just keep it classic

pass the parcel, musical statues – huge amounts of chocolate fingers

oddjob
    Free Member

The complication is that I am in Denmark and they are therefore Danish kids.
    The parents will not be staying (unfortunately) and when I asked the other half what they normally do she hadn’t heard of pass the parcel or musican chairs FFS.

I think it’s time to introduce the pass the parcel to the Scandinavians though.

The food will be dreadful healthy stuff like carrot sticks and bl00dy apples 🙁

What else?

loddrik
    Free Member

Knock the carrot sticks and apples on the head right away!!!!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Do not encourage parents to stay! They will be better behaved and more cooperative without their parents to cling to. (Ah, just seen your second post!) No idea about Danish kids!

Halloween theme?

Pin the nose on the witch
    Pass the parcel
    Buy some smarties and drinking straws…kids have to suck up smarties and move from one bowl to another using straw.
    Hide the (something from halloween theme?)

Musical statues

Party tea
    Birthday cake
    Home
    Do not be afraid to tell the little blighters off if they run wild. I treat other people’s kids the same as my own in my house.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Out there, it is not common practice for folks to respond to invitations unless they are NOT turning up.

Simon says?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, I told you once before, and i won’t tell you no more…

double post

llama

they will be young enough to fall for sleeping lions

oddjob
    Free Member

Thanks FoxyChick, that looks like a good plan.

molgrips
    Free Member

she hadn’t heard of pass the parcel or musican chairs FFS

All the better reason to play them then!

Why not ask daughter what she wants to do?

IanMunro
    Free Member

she hadn’t heard of pass the parcel or musican chairs FFS.

All they know is sardines.

Cougar

I think you should invent some classic “traditional” games then. “What, we always play ‘who can eat the most jelly without vomiting’ back home, what’s wrong with you?” Also, belching competitions.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Personally i’d be adding some kinda sedative to the birthday cake….

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Get them to draw cartoons of the prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) followed by a few rounds of Carlsberg heavy shandies and they’ll all be asleep.

luke
    Free Member

Try and get the parents to leave as previously said.

And give each kid a can of red bull 10 minutes before pick up and get them to drink it as fast as they can (but don’t give it to your kid)

loddrik
    Free Member

Bravohotel9er – I like it! A few lines of coke thrown in would really make the party..

Plus any kids who step outta line, well, you could just bust a fatwa on they ass…

oddjob
    Free Member

I just found out that they are here for 4 hours!

Now I am really scared

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Hire a magician for a while. Baloon tricks and all that!

nuke

Wow, 4 hours is a long time to keep everyone happy and entertained.

What gender are the kids…mixed, all girls, all boys?

Do not encourage parents to stay!

Agreed on this. Although I find parents don’t want to stay: at my daughters last birthday (5 years old) only one mum wanted to stay and that’s only because her daughter got nervous in the first 5 minutes and proceeded to vomit all over the floor. Bless her.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

4 hours? Are you completely mad? 😉

Ok…open presents really slowly…should take about 15 minutes.
    30 minutes of party games.
    Watch DVD. (Go out tomorrow and rent/buy the lastest kids film out on DVD.) About 1 hr 30 mins.

Party tea.
    More party games.
    Put on some music and have a dancing competition.

Sing Happy Birthday and cut the cake.
    Bugger off home. 8)

Plan it, and stick to the plan.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Have a Halloween colouring competition somewhere in the mix. It’ll keep them busy for 10 minutes or so.

Oh and good luck.

Just focus on the HUGE drink you owe yourselves when the little darlings have gone home.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Whatever you do – don’t play hide the football. Thought it might be a good idea to keep the lads busy at my eldest son’s 5th birthday party – they ransacked the house but never spotted the football that papadirt had delicately balanced on top of the curtain pole 👿

Halloween theme sounds good. All of ours have winter(ish) birthdays so outside parties were a no no. We did a tropical party for my youngest lad though for his 5th birthday – turned the heating up, decorated the house with palm trees, etc and everyone was asked to wear beach wear – was good fun 8)

surfdad
    Free Member

Had a massive blazing row with my darling other half last night as we’ve got 22 (yes TWENTY TWO!!) 5 year olds coming to my daughters party in a fortnights time and she (my other half not my daughter) is 26 weeks pregnant, we’ll have my parents around to ‘help’ and I leave for a fortnight’s work trip to South Africa two days later!

At least it’s only 2 hours tho …

And in terms of useful suggestions, second the DVD, send them on a nature hike with an (empty) matchbox and get them to fill it with cool stuff, make, bake and decorate some ginger bread men, find a big field and set them some challenges involving running from end to the other.

Enjoy!

igm

Bouncy castle in back garden – bit of food – pressies – sorted

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘5th Birthday Party suggestions’ is closed to new replies.