• This topic has 149 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jeb.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)
  • 57% of ALL cyclists run red lights, according to IAM?!?
  • joao3v16
    Free Member

And it’s made the Daily Wail

I will not read the Mail’s report!

Weirdly, the Daily Fail has reported the IAM stuff in a very uninflammatory way. Strange.

Of course, the reader comments are true to form though, with barely one brain cell or fact used amongst them.

richmtb

Of course, the reader comments are true to form though, with barely one brain cell or fact used amongst them.

I think we should organise a mass trolling effort!

user-removed
    Free Member

I have seen a senior person from the local college, he’s also a vegetarian, consistently go the wrong way, along one-way streets on his bike.

😀

DezB
    Free Member

I think you’re comitting a mopery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mopery

Oh god. I’m going to jail to be raped in the showers aren’t I..

DezB
    Free Member

Has anyone got a Mail Online login I could borrow please?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was a good boy today. I stopped at lights (they were red and it was very busy on the roads)

“wonders what it’s going to be like on the way home”

jackthedog
    Free Member

Really interesting article here about traffic lights on the BBC:

corrupted by the system of control which makes us almost have a greater respect for a traffic light than for a human life.

The intolerable conflicts that arise, arise purely and simply from this rule of priority.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    I was a good boy today. I stopped at lights (they were red and it was very busy on the roads)

Me too. No close encounters with:

GrahamS

From the article:

Driving recently, I was about 20 yards away when lights changed to amber and I thought, shall I put my foot down and try to beat the amber.

I knew it would be a long wait at this set of lights.

Nice to see the Beeb promoting the same “beat the amber” myth that we talked about earlier. 🙄

jackthedog
    Free Member

Nice to see the Beeb promoting the same “beat the amber” myth that we talked about earlier.

That minor annoyance aside, what do you think of the overall sentiment?

I did originally begin to contribute to this thread the other day as it’s a subject I find interesting, but I decided I couldn’t do with the aggro of the STW righteous crew, so I didn’t hit the post button. Instead I pasted the text here where nobody will read it. You can have a look if you’re interested.

MrAgreeable

The Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) today used a survey to claim that ‘More than half of cyclists jump red lights‘. But by using even less science we’ve uncovered something even more sinister – almost half of cyclists have upset a kitten while riding.

http://magazine.bikeradar.com/2012/05/15/cyclings-kitten-bothering-shame/

GrahamS

what do you think of the overall sentiment?

Well I certainly agree that road users are sometimes bombarded by so many signals, signs and lane markings that it can actually make things more dangerous than if they just kept their eyes on the road.

And that too much signalling etc makes us hand over responsibility to the lights rather than common sense.

BUT… I’m not sure I agree with his sentiment that “Instinctively, we want to be kind to each other, especially out on the road.”.

If junctions had no lights then I can’t imagine UK drivers stopping for cyclists in the same way that they stop for other cars.

GrahamS

I added the following comment to the bottomless snake pit of Reader’s Comments on the BBC article:

What exactly does Mr Cassini mean by “shall I put my foot down and try to beat the amber”?

Amber means STOP!

You can only legally drive through amber if your vehicle “is so close to the stop line that it cannot safely be stopped” (TSRGD 36).
    Not if you floor it from “about 20 yards away”.

Perhaps he should familiarise himself with the existing Highway Code before suggesting ways to revise it?

#382 if anyone feels like upvoting it out of the braying throng.

Nice blog entry by the way jack. Well written.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I stopped at red lights this morning too. Last night I only had to stop at two sets, all the others were on green.. (“whoops!!!”)

jackthedog
    Free Member

BUT… I’m not sure I agree with his sentiment that “Instinctively, we want to be kind to each other, especially out on the road.”

The issue is, as humans on the whole we very much do want to be kind to each other, but that natural human desire is undermined by the current system of priorities we are forced to work to.

When you take away priorities, people stop assuming they have them. The very system we currently have causes the many issues we suffer. People assert the power they take for granted, and when this supposed authority is challenged in some way, conflict occurs. But take away the supposed power we believe we’re entitled to and everything will run smoother because, at the end of the day, we’re humans who don’t want to mow down and kill other humans.

I always think this would be an interesting experiment; take the angriest, most obnoxious driver and put them, in their big 4×4, in the centre of a pedestrianised shopping street on a Saturday morning with the instruction to extract their car. Then watch as they gently crawl their way out at 2mph.

It’s all psychology, and the current road network doesn’t pay any attention to it. I’m a bit too busy to ramble on today in my usual way, but I already linked to my thoughts above if anyone is bothered.

richmtb

I agree with the sentiment of the BBC article. Having driven in a few other places round the world the UK seems particularly obsessed with traffic lights and totally opposed to using them flexibly.

Good blog jackthedog

GrahamS

When you take away priorities, people stop assuming they have them

I understand your point jack, but I fear that some people feel they have priority, not because of lights or traffic systems, but simply because they are in a car and you are “just on a push bike”.

I always think this would be an interesting experiment; take the angriest, most obnoxious driver and put them, in their big 4×4, in the centre of a pedestrianised shopping street on a Saturday morning with the instruction to extract their car. Then watch as they gently crawl their way out at 2mph.

Agreed, but put them on a road, “stuck” behind a cyclist doing 15mph and they will have steam coming out their ears.

alex222
    Free Member

JTD I am totally disagreeing with you on the basis that you cite Apple in your blog and because your hero is Hans Moleman

Hopefully also you are who I think you are.

DezB
    Free Member

And it makes far more sense for me not to push to the front to get overtaken again by an irate “I WANNA GET HOME, WHY DID YOU UNDERTAKE ME TO GET IN FRONT ONLY TO GET ME TO OVERTAKE AGAIN?” person. Just don’t see the point in it.

I was thinking about this on the way in this morning. (Yes, unfortunately thats what I do when riding in, think about STW threads 🙁 )
    I do see the point in it – probably the cars you’re “pushing” (read: riding) past have just overtaken you to join a queue anyway, but not only that – You can’t ride around thinking “I mustn’t do this because I’ll upset drivers”! I mean: overtaking another bike, riding across a junction cars are waiting to come out of, overtaking a queue of traffic, undertaking a queue of traffic, just being “in the way” ! All these things can upset some knob in a car, so you’ve just got to ride.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I fear that some people feel they have priority, not because of lights or traffic systems, but simply because they are in a car and you are “just on a push bike”.

Agreed, but put them on a road, “stuck” behind a cyclist doing 15mph and they will have steam coming out their ears.

That is an acquired feeling of priority, not a natural one. It’s the legacy of a half century or more of a road network being designed to discourage natural human interaction and turn our day to day movements into a series of easily modelled binary interactions. We’ve ended up letting a system serve itself first and us second.

I’ve been following the shared space concept for some years and have watched its profile grow massively. What was a niche thing is now on the international table as a potential and logical way forward. It seems we’re finally starting to realise the lessons we’ve been taught by our past mistakes, and slowly we might start to see them being followed.

It would certainly be a shame if we ignored the solutions that evidence has shown to work, and instead continued to legislate and signpost and road mark and segregate ourselves into frustrated, unproductive and senseless oblivion just because we don’t have faith in our human capacity to unlearn illogical, inhuman habits and return to our natural state.

Even if it transpired, despite all evidence to the contrary, that it has been a one way journey and we’re all helplessly beyond the point of no-return, incapable of dealing with sudden responsibility ourselves for the rest of our driving lives, it will only take the passing of our baffled generation to sort itself out. Though I assume nobody would think themselves, their friends or families as baffled – just the idiot mentalists in other cars, those other people, other people’s friends or other people’s families. Basically everyone who isn’t us.

We’re all so scared of one another. Of course we are – none of us are allowed to behave naturally. That’s what needs to change, and it’s easily done. And like every technological or social advancement, the majority will dismiss and resent and resist it at every turn until the the day they start taking it for granted.

I’m a bit too busy to ramble on today in my usual way

Shit, seems I just took my lunch break. I can’t help myself.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Hopefully also you are who I think you are.

I am.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

20 mph limits means far far less need for traffic lights – because at 20 mph cars can negotiate and compromise on junctions with other vehicles. There is also far less need to overtake bicycles

We do suffer from a lot of bad road design in the uk as well.

Jackthedog – I agree

Junkyard
    Free Member

The problem with your argument is it assume drivers are reasonable , kind and considerate.
    I would like to think the changes you suggest would bring this about but I am not optomistic tbh.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Junkyard – it works wherever it has been introduced. Needs a flexible and imaginative approach to road engineering tho

Junkyard
    Free Member

needs considerate road users too

the first few days would be interesting
    i am not anti it as an idea just unsure.

jackthedog
    Free Member

The problem with your argument is it assume drivers are reasonable, kind and considerate.

I tried to cover that point in my post. They aren’t because they’re positively encouraged not to be by the current environment.

In a system that encourages reason, kindness and consideration, they will be all three. Humans aren’t stupid. They’re just currently trapped in a situation that requires them to be stupid.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Humans aren’t stupid.

Erm….

alex222
    Free Member

just unsure.

Isn’t that the real problem. People who can make decisions about town and city planning are unsure and un-dynamic as decision makers so the problem just continues as no one will make the initial change. I know one t&c planner and he is a right straight laced non forward thinking idiot (for want of a better word) and if everyone who works in his office is like that no real decisions will ever be made subsequently no progress will be made.

Humans aren’t stupid

The nature of Gaussian distribution means that 50% have less than average intelligence – unfortunately average intelligence is pretty shoddy to start with.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A crowded shopping street of pedestrians – whilst it can get fractious with the mass of people – its nothing like the daily anger and confrontation on the roads in our cities. You can design the roads to allow people to interact in the same sort of way – cooperatively and by consensus. It works elsewhere in the world.

alex222
    Free Member

TJ like Mexico city, Delhi, Cairo etc?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is something to be learnt from them for sure. 🙂 Or those pesky dutch

Shared space traffic intersection in Drachten, The Netherlands. Traffic signals removed in 2002. The junction handles around 17,000 vehicles per day. One of many projects led by the late Hans Monderman.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wte5-_gCDQ[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

A crowded shopping street of pedestrians – whilst it can get fractious with the mass of people – its nothing like the daily anger and confrontation on the roads in our cities.

You’d have redesign cars. Its not the difference between a road and a shopping precinct – it’s people in their protective bubble of steel.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Look at that vid above. It works – its a proven concept.

richmtb

I’m finding myself totally agreeing with Jackthedog.

A few examples come to mind.

Commuting in the car#1 – junctions with the lights out work better, I’ve seen this a few times even at really busy junctions, people just get on with it. Without the lights to think for them they are forced to think for themselves and generally slow down, act cautiously and fairly.

Commuting in the car#2 – I like it when cyclist RLJ or proceed before the lights change. It actaully minimises conflict between the cars and bike instead of both the car and the bike moving of together you pass the bike furthr down the road when both of you are up to speed.

Riding the bike through town – Pedestrians ignoring the “red man” at crossings winds me up, I have a green light and therefore “priority” if i stop at the red so should they? Take away the system of lights and we would just get on with it.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Humans aren’t stupid.

Erm….

The nature of Gaussian distribution means that 50% have less than average intelligence – unfortunately average intelligence is pretty shoddy to start with.

We’re not talking about performing the intricacies of open heart surgery here, just having the sense to move around. On the scale of intelligence, even those falling middle to low have inherited the natural evolutionary instinct to co-operate with those around them enough to avoid constantly colliding with them.

Don’t judge us all by the extremes. The standard of lowest common denominator is by its nature uncharacteristically low, and building our world around it never yields satisfactory results. Of course, no amount of legislation in any environment or situation will prevent the inevitable occasions of infallibly human stupidity, so why do we all suffer the resulting needless constraint when it serves no purpose?

I am a most fierce misanthrope; I admit to thinking we as a species are laughable. But even at my most despairing, I still have faith that on the whole, individually we have the sense to make proficient and efficient progress through our built environment. I’m grateful that evidence shows this so far to be true. Whether on a personal or societal level, there is little more damaging to our development and chances for success than having no faith in our own abilities.

no real decisions will ever be made subsequently no progress will be made.

It’s already happening. In the UK, in the form of the tentative but successful experiments on Kensington High Street and the ground up redesign of Exhibition Road, and more comprehensively abroad as in TJs video above.

As I said earlier, any substantial shift in technology or society will be met with resistance because by definition it will be tackling a status quo we’ve become accustomed to and therefore defensive of. Any significant change will be resented because it says to us “You’ve been doing it wrong'”. Nobody likes to hear that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Look at that vid above. It works – its a proven concept.

It can work

I can show Danny Mac on a bnike aand show you that it works to balance on rails buT iw opuld not encourage it for all

You cannot comapre here to Holland for Bike related issues due to entirely different cultures re Bike use.

I am not saying it would not or could not work I am just not sure you can plant something from abroad to here when the attitudes are different to start with

It would be an interesting transition

I wish i had JTD view but I tend to think peole are selfish bastards interested in theior own welfare and saving 3 seconds of time becaus ethat is how they are rather then th eroad smake them behave like that.
    I would be delighted to be wrong and see brotherly love, peace and cooperation burst on to our unmarked un trafic lighted roads.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Think is junkyard – people would adapt – traffic flows are similar often higher and its a less stressful experience for everyone – car drivers included. Its been done in other places than holland

jackthedog
    Free Member

You cannot comapre here to Holland for Bike related issues due to entirely different cultures re Bike use.

I am not saying it would not or could not work I am just not sure you can plant something from abroad to here when the attitudes are different to start with

Cultures are created and attitudes formed by the things we plant. To shift them you just have to plant the right thing, and so far we haven’t.

Once it was acceptable to drink drive, to smoke near babies, to consider women second class citizens and to have a thriving slave trade. Times change, and not long after they do we wonder with amazement how we ever got things so wrong before.

DezB
    Free Member

Things seem to be going the opposite way here… how many roundabouts (yeah roundabouts, you don’t have to think about giving way to the right do you?) now have traffic lights on them?

alex222
    Free Member

Don’t judge us all by the extremes

I wasn’t I was judging from the 50% mark down (and even up for that matter).

tackling a status quo

which is my point t&c planners like the one I’m thinking of don’t ever challenge the status quo or even consider that it may be wrong.

You cannot comapre here to Holland

for anything

Their attitude to bike in particular represents an entirely different attitude to a whole host of issues. One of them being their attitude towards oil. Which I believe is at the heart of our problem and Hollands enlightenment. Even more so than safety of children/citizens which is often cited as the reason for the push bike-centric culture.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘57% of ALL cyclists run red lights, according to IAM?!?’ is closed to new replies.