Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 54-reg VW T5 Transporter (Caravelle more like) – where do I get a guide price?
  • DickBarton

Local garage has a 54-plate VW ‘van’ – I phoned up to ask about it and the salesman tells it is a Transporter (which I thought was the van-mode); this has 3 rows of seats and tinted rear windows.

79k on the clock and is going for £8k – I can’t decide if that is an absolute bargain or not, so where do I go to get a guide on price of vehicles like that one?

Also, at that mileage and age, what kind of things will need to be getting seen to – aside from a ‘standard’ service?

I think I’m tempted, but unsure why – I’ve nowhere to park it, undoubtedly won’t be able to insure and run it, but there is something tempting me towards it.

I do want a van-type vehicle as my next car, so it might just be initial interest.

Vader
    Free Member

our 07 t28 transporter 110k is valued at 8k. Rear windows and seats.

Your one sounds like a combi?

DickBarton

What is a combi? I haven’t been to see it, but driven past it twice now and might take a nosey at it during the week, but it has windows and not panels and has 3 rows of seats, so it isn’t a van in my mind…however, your newer version is the same price, so perhaps this has more toys or is just overpriced…but I’m still curious.

boxelder

What engine is it?

matt_outandabout

Kombi = base model
    Shuttle = next better
    Caravelle = posh one
    http://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/our-vans/volkswagen-transporter/transporter-kombi-or-caravelle/

DickBarton

Ah cool, thanks. I’ve no idea on engine, it was a quick phone call to mainly put my interest back in it’s box…so I didn’t ask too many questions. Thing is, I’m now thinking…which is never good!

IHN

Sounds like a Caravelle; Combi’s have one set of windows and one row of seats.

FWIW, I have a 54 plate Transporter, an actual ‘van’ one although I have put some side windows into it as part of a camper conversion. It’s got 130k on the clock, still runs fine. Caravelles are generally plusher, I’d deffo look at it for that price, if it’s what you’re after ( that is, a big multi seater vehicle, rather than van)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Be aware that a converted van or a combi doesn’t have the same sound deadening or all the safety features as a caravelle so don’t compare prices to a caravelle it’s just a van with extra seats and windows.

Price accordingly.

Be aware of what the v5 says as well . If it’s been in business it’s probably under the commercial tax regime which is a good thing for tax but not for tolls and speedlimits. The only way round this is to “motorhome” it.

DickBarton

Thanks, will do some more investigation, but with any luck I’m going to wake up tomorrow morning and not have a desire to own it!

revs1972
    Free Member

Sounds more like a shuttle.
    Caravelle sat that age and mileage would be well north of £10k

petrieboy

Caravelle has sliding seats that fold to make a bed. 2 seats in the front, 2 swivels in the middle and a bench at the rear (I’ve seen some with no bench but 4 singles tho which seems odd)
    The Shuttle has fixed seats and generally has 3 in each row. All the shuttles I’ve seen are LWB but that’s not to say all are.
    That’s very very low mileage for a 12 year old bus so I’d be making very sure there’s a good explanation and I trusted it. They can do big miles if maintained but a clocked car is never good news and if it turns out to be an ex taxi with 300+ on it then you’d be disappointed
    I guess it could have been a motobility car

Vader
    Free Member

All good advice ^^

As has been discussed endlessly on here you can get very good T5’s or complete lemons.

6-7k a year is not completely implausible I’d say, but i would be cautious nonetheless.

Also is there VAT on that 8k?

revs1972
    Free Member

If you have the reg you can do an mot status check that may throw up any abnormalities on the mileage

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘54-reg VW T5 Transporter (Caravelle more like) – where do I get a guide price?’ is closed to new replies.