Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • £50 a year to ride XC at Rowney Warren!
  • Dogdrag
    Free Member

Just looked on 'The new Chicksands Bike Park website'
    Membership or day ticket required for XC route users.
    £50 a year or £5 a day?

Kuco

pmsl are they serious?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

How did the XC routes that existed before Beds Fat Trax (or whatever its called now) suddenly become theirs to charge for the use of (those that still exist of course)?

Dogdrag
    Free Member

Overpriced Fee

I am right aren't I? It says including XC users.

kimbers

if you ride there regular its not such a bad deal is it?

grahamt1980

I thought all the XC had gone, well the waymarked stuff anyway, its easy to find your way around.
    Still its going to be a little hard to police surely, the bike park is small enough to be able to cover, but the entire wood?

fozzybear
    Free Member

and this includes riding in the Bike Park or the XC routes.

seams so

Kuco

Is this so they can fund new puffa jackets?

Colin-T

sootyandjim – Member
    How did the XC routes that existed before Beds Fat Trax (or whatever its called now) suddenly become theirs to charge for the use of (those that still exist of course)?

When they leased the land from FE? I wouldn't be surprised if day membership is one of the conditions of their insurance.

Its a bit harsh to charge £5 a day for the currently unexciting and badly kept XC trails but then again, its not really an XC venue at the moment, and the dual track is worth the price of admission on its own.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

It would be interesting to watch one of the chunky lads on a DH bike chase after some racing snake on an XC bike down one of the XC routes in order to collect day ticket fees.

wiiija
    Free Member

It needs serious work before they can charge for the XC routes in my opinion, I thought it was dreadful last time I went there. Was going to walk over to the jumpy bits to watch and got totally pounced on for not having a day pass aswell.

That being said if it was improved hugely I might consider a visit in the future.

allthepies
    Free Member

How much? Swinley annual is £18 and a day ticket £2.

grahamt1980

woburn i think is much cheaper too. much more xc and to be honest the dh stuff is more fun too.
    Only reason I go to chicksands is because its half an hour closer after work

chvck
    Free Member

That's only a quid a week!

Dogdrag
    Free Member

The Dog walkers and runners that use the trails, will they have to pay?

Ewan
    Free Member

That's shocking, fair enough for the dual stuff – that takes a lot of work, time, and effort. But the XC course was sh1te last time I was there… that being said, realistically it's only going to get paid by the people that use the jumps etc, so if you don't, i wouldn't worry about it.

Dog walkers / runners have the right to roam legislation. I suspect that would apply as it's open land.

Woop
    Free Member

Shocking on every conceivable level. I'm a local who rides up to Chicksands most weekends for a canter around the xc routes. I call them 'routes'. Only reason I can go round is because I know them from when they were actually waymarked. They are currently unmarked and in a shocking state of disrepair, plenty of thorns to scrape past in many places at the moment.

If the XC routes were a) marked, b) looked after, and c) far more interesting and enjoyable then they would be worthy of a fee. Until then, well, looks like I'll have to cross my local off my ride list.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I'm a local too so I'll do what I've always done – ride week days in the dark. For a longer daytime ride, woburn is far, FAR better & well worth the drive and the price (if you see a ranger).

the BFT fools are only in the wood at w/e's and summer evenings anyway, they can't charge you if they ain't there.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

have emailed them for an explanation – perhaps you should too: info@chicksandsbikepark.co.uk

Steve-P
    Free Member

Agreed Crotchrocket – I've had a run in with the BFT in the past. I respect what they've done with the northshore, etc – though it aint my thing. But if they think they'll grow their brand/site and incorporate 'my route' into their charge (£) then they can think again.

Having ridden out to those woods and back from Bedford for the last 10 years (before THEY existed) I'll ride the loop I always have.

Some of us ride to get away from paperwork, licenses, organisation and rules….

Agreed about Woburn, know it like the back of my hand – but shhhhh it's our secret right… 😉

JonEdwards
    Free Member

…I wonder…

…if its a segregation issue?

As in – there are probably plenty of "xc" riders who turn up, ride round the woods a couple of times, then have a quick blast down the duel or whatever. Now to ride that, under the terms of the lease they need to have paid for their day ticket. As the bike park isn't fenced off from the rest of the wood, they've probably been told that the only way they can be fully covered is to make everybody pay to ride. That way there's no issues with people riding the bike park for free and (shock horror) uninsured.

As others have said – its free to do what the hell you like during the week!

chunky lads on a DH bike
    Darren ain't exactly chunky… 😉 And given the poor sod is still waiting to find out whether he's going to lose his foot or not, frankly in his situation I'd be a damn sight less upbeat!

crotchrocket
    Free Member

"Day tickets are now required to ride on weekdays as well as weekends and bank holidays and this includes riding in the Bike Park or the XC routes." is the full quote from the chicksands bike park site.

It's only free if you don't get caught 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘£50 a year to ride XC at Rowney Warren!’ is closed to new replies.