• This topic has 157 replies, 69 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 158 total)
  • 5 – 6" travel frames?
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

Would you consider a Wolf Ridge / Attack Trail?

Chainline
    Free Member

@messiah (pilot off mtbr here)

Apart from the well worn issue of 12mm rear hubs axle snappage and troublesome air shocks I’ve had no problems with it yet (although the Hammerschmidt is worrying me and two rear mechs in 6 months is painfull).

The 12mm snap page depends on the hub used doesn’t it? CK doesnt suffer due to the internal axle support design.

But more importantly why is the hammerschizzle worrying you? Anything I should keep an eye on?

messiah
    Free Member

Hi chainline. Yes, axle snappage is mostly a Hope with maxle lite thing but it does go deeper, if you dig a bit you can hear of ck and other hub problems.

Not sure why my hs has been misbehaving, possibly cable issues with -7 degc? Not found the problem yet but its not right.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

You need to ditch the Hopes and get some Hadleys.I had pawls go in my hopes and then the axle bent.Then i sold them.
    Been running Hadleys since,Just about to build another set.Easy to work on and a very simple axle that has no steps or machined down in size parts.A nice piece of aluminium with threads each end for the adaptors to thread on to.

messiah
    Free Member

If it can be broken I am the man to do it…

Hopefully nothing wrong with the hammerschmidt other than cables. Hope have been great about the snappage, I’d rather work with a company through a problem than switch.

jedi

just back from herts and a rider had a nicolai fr. he snapped the shock bolt in 2 runs 🙂 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

yeah – shock bolts have specific requirements as recently identified by nicolai – there are specific materials needed for certain frame and shock combos….

bet the FR hasnt snapped yet tho…..

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Jedi- He must have been doing something pretty big.Mine suffered me at 225lbs dropping 5ft to flat quite regularly and had no problems.

messiah
    Free Member

A bolt is a bolt and they do break sometimes, Nicolai have explained which type to use now… although mate Pablo did bend an FR linkage plate… but did the “wrong” bolt snappage cause the plate bendage?

Sorry for the hijacking Jedi.

jedi

nah just hung a dirt jump

Euro
    Free Member

Should have told him it’s better of overshoot 😉

jedi

he did over shoot the first dj and landed on the take off pretty much for the next then hung 50/50 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

Just seen a 2009 Cove Hustler on CRC for £ 999.98p Bargain
    and have all different sizes

Euro
    Free Member

In summary; overshooting is bad mmmkay, but hooking up is (broken bike) worse.

I hate to say I told you so… 😉

jedi

i was talking tables and basic drops as you know.

Lifer
    Free Member

Not a fan of the Commencal? Would have thought the Mini DH would be perfect…

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumba XCL is 5″ 68 HA with 140mm forks, pretty tough by 5″ travel standards. Vid here of someone riding down A line on an XCL. Bargain £899 as well 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjQJYK4G-HQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

peachos
    Free Member

Norco Range.

juan
    Free Member

well I still can’t see many 5″ travel bikes being able to withstand the sort of abuse jedi is going to make them suffer.
    Nowaday 5″ is pretty much XC travel.
    So my dear tony you either bit the bullet and go bigggggggg or you just get something a bit older when 5″ was FR 😉

jedi

arrgghhhhhhhh i cant decide what to do 🙂

mafiafish
    Free Member

I’d go mondraker Dune, Alpine 160 or the new Chumba Evo.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d go for one of the bikes I listed on page two cos they are actually designed for drop offs and jumps, unlike alot of the bikes (long travel trail bikes) which others seem to be listing

mk1fan
    Free Member

Winstanley have the Cove G-Spot for £200 off at the moment.

You know it’s the right choice.

I thought it was going to be sold with the option of either an Elka coil shock or a Fox air shock…..

A new, custom valved Fox Van R shock would only be £250. That said Petey seems to be coping with a air shock at the moment (albeit on short runs 😉 ).

You know you deserve it.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hummer? 😉

jedi

lol. i got a hummmer as you know 🙂

mrbump
    Free Member

specialized sx trail
    orange alpine
    intense ss
    morewood kalula

a lad i know had a mythic(banshee) rune,told me it was really strong and a few weeks later he literally folded the top and down tube.he was a smooth rider aswell.
    he now has an alpine.
    i have a patriot but unfortunatly not made any more.

Amos
    Free Member

Titus el guapo? Look purdy too! And could get a bargain as they’ve just been bought out

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Sorry – couldn’t resist. 😈

I know its been mentioned and you’ve ridden mine – but the Voltage is awesome. From the few rides I’ve been on it rocks and pedals so well.

Just needs some lightening and should be good for Singletrack and the bigger stuff 🙂

PLus if you can get a FR30 the frame is the same as the Frameset but cheaper 🙂

jedi

i cant decide what to do at all 🙁

juan
    Free Member

i cant decide what to do at all

Send me your money I’ll decide for you 😉
    Or you could buy a furious

jedi

lol@ a furious. one of those didnt last long at herts

juan
    Free Member

😯

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Offer discount to those people who come on skills courses with a bike you are considering 😈

jedi

pmsl @ discounts!! 🙂

Valleyboy
    Free Member

due to this thread i’ve had a re change of mind and just ordered a Cove G spot, was going to get an Ellesworth Moment.

tinsy
    Free Member

Jedi if none of the industry bods that lurk here offer you a trade or less frame that fits the bill, ride any old crapper that does just to show its the rider not the bike until one does….

Surprised given your experience I thought would have known what you fancied to be honest.

jedi

i have had 3 mtbs in the past 8yrs. i still have them but have retired the demo9.
    bottlerocket is battered as i bought it 2nd hand and the hummer is luverly but coaching and riding herts on it will kill it

i get looked after by my lbs for the past 15yrs or more 🙂

erm dont tell anyone but im buying this as my trail/ hooning around/jumping bike I reckon im buying a dh bike off them as well. But for now ladies and Gents I present the amazing looking YT Industries Play!

(at present rates of conversion price = £1,263.5 FOR THE FULL FRICKIN BIKE!!!! BOOOM! NO JOKE!!)

seriously how hot is that? Direct from the manufacturers in Germany, Shipping is an extra €70 but Im off to pick it up and check sizing on a test ride seeing as they are based in Northern Bavaria its the same price to drive and pick both up as it would be to ship (well almost!) plus I get to test ride to check sizing etc.

But please keep it a secret!

jedi

that looks nuts! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘5 – 6" travel frames?’ is closed to new replies.