• This topic has 157 replies, 69 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 158 total)
  • 5 – 6" travel frames?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Either one of these three:

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/mythic-rampant-frame-1

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/mythic-wildcard-frame-sale-1

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/mythic-rune-frame-sale-1

Not too light either so you know they should be farily strong. The rampant looks awesome

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

you know its gotta be the Cove.

jedi

ironically, the bottlerocket belonged to my mate (bigL) who now has a g spot!

Kit
    Free Member

hmmm, g-spot 🙂

jedi

oooohhhh my colour….. minus decals 🙂

roddi18
    Free Member
    fuzzhead
    Free Member

Orange Blood?

jedi

i dont think the trek would last!

hoykalot
    Free Member

What weight would that g spot be. Any idea?
    I have been thinking about getting one to replace my enduro

Coyote
    Free Member

Anything by Kona will be indestructable. Thinking Stinky. May be a bit mainstream for you but I love those bikes,

backhander
    Free Member

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/knolly-chilcotin-interbike-2010.html
    thats yer kiddie
    Probably the only suggestion that is up to your usage. dude.

ComradeD
    Free Member

Euro
    Free Member

Try to be a bit smoother when landing the drops. Remember – it’s not about the bike 😆

dans160
    Free Member

A Norco of some description. It won’t break 😉

Series 1 slopestyle. There is one over on the Dirt website for sale at £600. A medium in black.

jedi

euro,
    its about want

Euro
    Free Member

I want one of these…

Can’t image it’d be too pedal friendly for the single track, but it would eat the drops. What about getting the Bottlerocket powder coated to freshen it up? Not ridden one, but looks like it could handle anything.

edit.
    These look like a useful alternative to the BR. Wouldn’t personally have an air shock near me, but i think they come as frame only.

jedi

hmmmmmm thats a possibility

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

you always go back to the things you love.

theotherjonv

I reckon you should be forced into a Dunlop from Sports Direct, stop you doing those ridiculous tricks and making the rest of us look stupid.

jedi

no, the demo9 is hanging up 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

Try and swing a leg over a Nicolai Helius AM.

I’m loving mine. Doing all the stuff I used to do on the 43lb Nucleon but it at only 33lbs it’s worth taking out for more XC jaunts (which the Nukey never was). Apart from the well worn issue of 12mm rear hubs axle snappage and troublesome air shocks I’ve had no problems with it yet (although the Hammerschmidt is worrying me and two rear mechs in 6 months is painfull).
    If looking SH try to find a Helius FR as they are also brilliant if from the last few years – the older ones are bit weird geometry wise.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Transition Covert with CCDB – job done!

Bregante
    paulrockliffe
    Free Member

That Tracer looks like you’d be smashing the linkage of rocks left right and centre?

jemima
    Free Member

Another vote for Orange Blood. Suspension system looks very similar to your Bottlerocket but with a bit more travel. Nice slack head angle and super fun to ride. Sounds ideal for you!

ianpinder
    Free Member

A helius am with 120mm of travel, you can borrow mine on the 8th if you want. you won’t break it…..

jedi

ok i’ll have a ride after your coaching session 🙂

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Agree with Ianpinder..Helius Am.
    I had an Fr and it was a good bike.Stiff and good handling.Fitted with a double barrel/Lyrik coil Dh it ate rock gardens and anything else you would through at it.Handled me doing drops to flat(4-5ft) and some 20ft gaps.
    You will love it.

timpol
    Free Member

The am is a fantastic bike but it would not enjoy Herts all the time. I ride a am and a st and the st is the better bike for Herts.

the_lecht_rocks

i was going to suggest a Nicolai Helius AM also…………

new one is slightly slacker [more like the older FR]….

bomb-proof fwiw and very versatile / travel adjustable without geometry effect.

duir
    Free Member

As tough as the Mythic Spitfire is I don’t think it would cope with 15ft drops, or their warranty department wouldn’t! It’s more of a singletrack shredder than a cliff jumping bike. The next model up is the Rune and that’s very popular on silly stuff in BC I believe.

Cove seem to have taken time off from growing their own to design some new frames that are allegedly just as durable but much lighter than previous years. The new Cove G-Spot looks like it would hit your spot and is based on the larger downhill Shocker but with just 6″. You can guarantee Cove will have built something to withstand Canadian North Shore abuse so 15ft drops would be no trouble.

Of course the Orange Alpine 160 may not be a very pretty bike but they ride fantastically and and is basically a mini 224 so I am sure they would cope. Some don’t like the single pivot but the one I tried in the Alps felt fantastic. I watched a guy in Chatel on one massively over jump the big canyon gap and knock himself out with a horribly heavy landing. The Alpine 160 didn’t have a scratch on it!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Specialized SX would be great, 4″ travel, built with similar strength to SX Trail. Unfortuantely they don’t sell it here 🙁
    http://dirt.mpora.com/news/exclusive-2011-specialized-4x.html

I’ve just ordered a Marin Wolf Ridge frame. Ugly but a great ride and its built very tough. 460 quid brand new, 140mm travel, maxle rear end etc. bargain! (from betterbikes on ebay).

bella
    Free Member

Orange blood might be the chap for you. Have had one for about a year and it is holding up well. Never dropped anything bigger than the stepdown at Ae but landed that short with no problems. Climbs OK but obviously not the lightest bike in the world. Really good mini downhill bike. Raced the Mega on it and didnt put a foot wrong. I wouldnt be too sure about the Heckler for big drops. I snapped the swingarm on mine (They have slightly re-designed the swingarm since)

carbon337
    Free Member

I did a skills course with James Shirley who rode a Blood – he showed me some pretty massive jumps on the FT William 4X course at the end of the day. He seemed to like it.

toys19
    Free Member

Tony, I’ve got a Mountain Cycles Battery, I love it, come to Devon and have a go. They are still doing amazing deals on them.

Kit
    Free Member

Giant Reign X?

jedi

kit,
    i thought about a reignx

Bregante

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/717764/

nice looking Morewood Mbuzi on pink bike (not mine)

juiced
    Free Member

i really like this. not sure how strong it is but I think they’re Greman and have only read positive reviews about the brand in general – for that price you could source a coil shock too. TBH I think that the brand overbuilds it’s designs too, although I guess it would be weighty.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31627

This comes with a coil

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41189

Kit
    Free Member

I loved my Reign, but it was waaaaaay too much bike for me. Felt solid though, back end was very stiff. For the amount of travel it had, it was a very capable all-day bike. In fact, I did a few full distance Merida Marathons on it… albeit a bit slowly 😉

See too Gee Atherton’s crash in Tignes (I think) where he trashed the forks, but apparently the Reign came out unscathed

Reigning in The Hermitage by Ginger F0x, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘5 – 6" travel frames?’ is closed to new replies.