Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 4g what do you get?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Currently in Melbourne airport with time to kill. Seem to be getting about 7.5mb with a non 4g galaxy which I’d about 3x faster than the broadband at home. What are people getting on 4g and do you have any data left 😆

tarquin
    Free Member

Rural NSW but with a 4g signal, probably faster as nobody else will be on it!

Ping to Melbourne 57ms, 49.83Mbps down, 23.24Mbps up.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

4g, I thought that meant you got a big bill….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I guess everyone else has run out of data…

Whats tarrif are you on up there Tarquin? Can’t see many that would leave me much data left if I started using aggressively.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

On Three network, usually get around 9mb on plain old 3g, I’ve had at high as 19mb.

EE 4g is around 10-20mb at the moment, so no significant improvement. Mate of mine is an area manager for them, another fairly high up at orange

footflaps

The data rate you get depends on three things:

1. The quality of the radio link to the eNodeB (4G Base Station). In an airport lounge it will be in the ceiling somewhere, so quality is excellent

2. Who else is using it and how good their links are (you are all sharing the same resource, so other users reduce what’s left for you and if they have poor radio links they will take out even more capacity as it takes longer to send the same data to someone on a worse quality link)

3. The bandwidth rules applied by your operator eg they may start capping everyone to a maximum instantaneous connection speed even if the whole network is empty. Sounds perverse, but they often do this so you don’t get disappointed by only x Mb/s as you had 2x the week before.

footflaps

I forgot one more.

4. If you’re in Africa, the bottleneck is often international capacity on under sea cables to get to US / UK servers, so you might get 20Mb/s in country then crawl along at under 1 Mb/s to the UK…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The data rate you get depends on three things:

1. The quality of the radio link to the eNodeB (4G Base Station). In an airport lounge it will be in the ceiling somewhere, so quality is excellent

I was assuming I was in a good spot, but seeing H+ appear as my signal in a few places now. They have rolled out 4g but my phone wont get it so impressed by the 3g speeds – assuming they have sorted out the back end capacity and this is helping.

samuri
    Free Member

One of our offices in Cumbria is getting 24Mbps Down, 12Mbps up.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

It’d be nice if EE could get their 3G signal in order. I get a massive 1 meg down and 0.8 upload. And sometimes I’m on crappy 2 G. It’s gone crap my mobile internet since EE took over.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    One of our offices in Cumbria is getting 24Mbps Down, 12Mbps up.

I think I know where that is… next to the sea and a EE/Orange Tower?

tarquin
    Free Member

I guess everyone else has run out of data…

Whats tarrif are you on up there Tarquin? Can’t see many that would leave me much data left if I started using aggressively.

It’s a company phone/account with an unmetered tarrif, the plan is $90 p/m, unsure of minutes/texts but the download limit is 2GB above which it will be billed at the standard rate.

Just use it for browsing online or to stream music if I walk to work or the pool, in the past month with some light/moderate use I have used 500mb.

At home/work I just connect to the Wifi network.

kiwijohn

26Mbs up & down in South Hobart.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘4g what do you get?’ is closed to new replies.