Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • £4.5k to spend on a bike……………..what would you buy…
  • Gooner
    Free Member

a moots cinco or moots ybb

the_lecht_rocks

i'm keeping out of this thread…………….. 😯

juan
    Free Member

The 2nd hand multistrada 1100S that is down the road.

lowey

In your boat Ton, I'd get a Turner Sultan and spec it with top draw everything. But I cant see the point when you already have a similar Ventanna, which is a stunning bike.

rockitman

£4.5k on one bike. I'd probably go for the Trek Top Fuel 9.9 – the one Armstrong rides and was recently in the Dreambikes thing in MBUK.

I could never understand why anyone would spend so much on a mass production brand – but then I rode one at a demo day. Admittedly I was coming off a 29er but the thing was like a rocketship. 22lbs, full carbon.

Would probably smash it to bits on it's first descent of Jacobs Ladder…

ski
    Free Member

That new Pace 853 SS hardtail that was at ssuk recently, custom built to fit me.

That would be nice and should leave a bit of change for some nice kit to fit to it.

chakaping
    Free Member

A Nomad with nice bits on it, I think.

Assuming I didn't have any overlapping bikes already, of course.

And that I was being forced to spend such a ridiculous amount on one bike.

gazc
    Free Member

can i get it on cycle to work scam and save 2k?

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I couldn't do it, that amount of money on one bike is unjustifiable (to me).

However, I've always been tempted by a DeKerf Implant, if I were going to spend what would be daft money on one bike.

oldfart

This thread is a piss take surely ?If you are lucky enough to have that sort of dosh to throw at a bike fine but why show off about it.BTW a £4.5k bike doesn't make you a better rider .

thegreatape
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd have to have taken leave of my senses to spend £4.5k on a push bike. I've had a £2.5k bike and it wasn't worth it really. To be honest, I can't ever see me spending much more than £1000-£1200 ever again. The bikes you can get for that price are just as capable as they are at double that price (Save for downhill monsters) they are well specced out of the box, and I don't feel guilty about riding them hard and getting them scratched

I was thinking of doing the Yates framebuilding course too, but when I priced it all up, it was going to be £800-£1000 for a frame that would have been virtually identical to an Inbred. So I bought an Inbred instead. And it's perfect for me.

Ton, you change bikes so often because you're looking for something that will make you ride better. Or faster. Or be perfect. Or whatever. The Holy Grail.
    **Newsflash** It's NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. 🙂

So, back on topic….

For £3995, right now, in our local Ducati dealers, this is for sale

I'd prefer a red one, but hey… 🙂

And this is there too – Bang on £4500!

njee20
    Free Member

Se7en

Crikey, do serial killers now make bikes?!

£4.5k on one bike. I'd probably go for the Trek Top Fuel 9.9 – the one Armstrong rides and was recently in the Dreambikes thing in MBUK.

The one that now costs £5500? £4.5k won't get you a top of the line bike anymore sadly, a very nice one, but most companies will have a bike above that range.

I'm getting a Top Fuel 9.9, so I guess that… or a Pinarello Prince.

chakaping
    Free Member

Most of us agree it's too much to spend on a bike, but I bet a lot of us have also upgraded our bikes to not far off that replacement value anyway.

enfht
    Free Member

A P7 with a 3k hooker 😀

tinsy
    Free Member

mmmm, I would ask Sam at Singular to build me a 650b Ti frame with an EBB and a gear hangar.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Indy Fab Ti Deluxe and lots of XTR.

hora
    Free Member

I wouldnt spend 4.5k on a mountain bike. I wouldnt even spend 2k on one. On my next big purchase- will be a road bike and I'll keep dragging over all the worn bits onto future mtb builds 😀

Edit- That Dekerf frame looks like it was built/designed by a class of high school boys.

Sancho
    Free Member

The Foes 29er version of this;
    http://www.foesracing.com/lineup.cfm?view=prolite

bonesetter
    Free Member

Doug Pinkrton was going to build me a custom 29er with a mix of Columbus 853 etc for £400

It's just knowing what you want…

chakaping
    Free Member

Not having a go at Ton, but judging by his turnover of bikes we can probably assume he doesn't know what he wants.

DT78
    Free Member

Wellll…..

I got a nomad with 36s for trail centre/DH, XTR charge duster for XC and rides with the missus and a DMR sidekick with pikes for blating about the local woods and DJ/street.

I reckon that covered about 4.5k. The bike I ride the most is the £800 one…..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Orange 5 and really fabulous biking holiday somewhere exotic.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'd have a hell of a lot of change left over. I'm a £1.5k man, tops. 🙂

teagirl
    Free Member

I'd buy 2, one for you and one for me!

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Mine….. cos it does what I want. It all depends on were and how you ride. £4.5k means get every bit you've ever wanted and putting it all together how you like. But be warned it will problably not be perfect first go. When I did it I had a real, it must weigh less than 30lbs cos everone say so. Unfortunaly the bike didn't like my 14.5 stone on rock trails. So changed the forks and put a coil shock on (add a few lbs) and its now perfect, oh hold….. I've just ordered a hammerschmidt………..

coffeeking
    Free Member

None, I'm happy with my current bikes (all sub 1K).

I'd buy a tig welder, a lathe and a milling machine though.

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

a carbon custom job 120mm max wet dreem

klegg
    Free Member

visit the poshbikes website and I think it might be possible to muster some components together for 4.5k for a custom…then it would only be used as turbo trainer bike, would hate to see it get dirty

BigDummy
    Free Member

Now that is an inspirational thought. 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

£4.5k means get every bit you've ever wanted and putting it all together how you like.

I've got expensive taste then 🙁

hora
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member

Now that is an inspirational thought.

Now thats a thought. There are one week residential courses where you have a finished, own-built frame to your taste by the end ton.

You could even call it the TONSKI

juan
    Free Member

Peter does your local ducati dealer takes kidneys/liver.
    Honest mint condition and all…

hora
    Free Member

juan, I drove passed our local Ducatti dealer in Manchester and they had 0% finance splashed across the windows. Even I was tempted and I dont have a full bike licence! 😯

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Custom Ti frame that had all the best bits of my Soda and my BFe in one, plus 2 sets of forks and wheels (trail & FR setups) and the lightest, strongest finishing kit I could get away with.

Or a Turner dw-RFX when they finally come out…

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I've got expensive taste then

If you shop around you can easy get more than a 6K bike for 4.5. I spent about 4.5, picked bits up in sales after christmas (save 50% on my full XTR set), haggled like mad at the LBS for my wheels and got a couple of bits from the states on Ebay (notably the forks, which saved me £400). Not sure on its full retail, but I bet its more £5500. (sound a bit snotty, but its not supposed too, just saying if you shop around you can save a few bob, especally on the higher end stuff where the margins appear to be bigger).

njee20, You must be getting a discount on your fuel, right?

bonesetter
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

Not having a go at Ton, but judging by his turnover of bikes we can probably assume he doesn't know what he wants.

you got it 😉

njee20
    Free Member

njee20, You must be getting a discount on your fuel, right?

Indeed, still be quite a chunk of cash though, even before I start changing bits around, which I almost certainly will! I will be selling my Epic to cover some of the cost of it, so it won't work out costing very much hopefully. It's difficult to call, but if I didn't get a discount, and had £4500 I'd still get a decent bike, I'd just keep it longer!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I'd probably spend about a grand and a half on a salsa la cruz, and the rest on a good solicitor for when the wife finds out.

martinxyz
    Free Member

belt driven,wicked looks,fashionable wide flat bars.. and HID light conversion.its everything you have looked at in mtb,but on a rocket.
    you wont even break a chilly sweat riding it in the crisp winter months.
    http://pistonheads.com/sales/1188966.htm

you have enough mountain bikes,now go buy a value for money motorbike! 🙂

its 4995 though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘£4.5k to spend on a bike……………..what would you buy…’ is closed to new replies.