Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 45 yrs old and thinking of going to college ! .. anyone done it ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Got told at work today that the only way ill progress further is go and get myself a college course and get a proper qualification !
    Not sure how i feel about this at the ripe old age of 45 …. work as a maintenance assistant at a large university and work with other skilled lads and even though i can do 90% of there jobs as well i cant progress without the bloody paperwork !
    I do want to progress and earn more money but also feel that i dont want the hassle of snotty kids at college !
    anyone gone back to college in there later years ?

footflaps

You’re never too old to do a course!

Go for it.

simmy
    Free Member

I did a courses when I was 33 but it was only one morning per week. Really enjoyed it.

As a Driving Instructor, some of my students attended the same college and we used to all sit together at break time which let them see me in a different light.

When I was 16 and at college, there was a couple of older lads attending the same course and they got on great with us younger ones.

markymark1993
    Free Member

I am re doing my gcse’s at 20, doing night coursers at college, There is plenty of older people from my age right the way to 55, Sure go for it.

IanW
    Free Member

I did at 40 but through the OU so didn’t have to mix it with the yoof, doubt that that would have been a problem though I am still, hip, cool and generally with it..man.

mark88

You’ve got 20odd years of you’re working life left, do it otherwise you’ll still be in the same position in 10 years time with more new people coming in and progressing beyond you.

Stoner
    Free Member

I did a second Master’s degree at 26 and most recently a City and Guilds diploma in Plumbing Studies finishing last summer after two years of 2 days a week evening classes at the age of 37. Im not sure if I will ever get to complete my NVQ but as and when I have the time I can drop on to do another course. Im due to do my water regulations and unvented certificates in the coming months. It’s more for personal development than any real commercial reasons, but it’s always worth getting out of your comfort zone now and then for the challenge.

rwamartin
    Free Member

I went back to college to do my electricians qualifications at around 45. It was no problem. It helped that there were a few older guys on the course but it was good fun being with the younger lads. As someone who is reasonably academic I was able to help a lot of them out with the maths/physics bits. We got on really well and we always stop and chat when we see each other out.
    What was frustrating was the fact that at 45 you’ve generally got the work ethic and want to get on with stuff. College can be a lot of sitting around, form filling and time wasting in between the learning bits.
    New challenges are always good. Give it a go.
    Rich.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I did a second Master’s degree at 26 and most recently a City and Guilds diploma in Plumbing Studies finishing last summer after two years of 2 days a week evening classes at the age of 37. Im not sure if I will ever get to complete my NVQ but as and when I have the time I can drop on to do another course. Im due to do my water regulations and unvented certificates in the coming months. It’s more for personal development than any real commercial reasons, but it’s always worth getting out of your comfort zone now and then for the challenge.

Funny you should say that stoner as thats what im looking at 🙂 …. I already have my water Regs and my vented/unvented certs for 5 yrs , just need a proper plumbing and heating qualification.
    Hoping to chat with my top gaffer about it on Monday as all being well work will approve the finance 🙂

project
    Free Member

Went on one a few years ago, retraining in machine joinery, 3 of us where mature, the rest teenagers,they thought we where the teachers, and some of those teaching us where in their twenties.

Twas an intresting time,2 lads got arrested for drug dealing,one of the lecturers nearly had a breakdown,used to be tested college exams, with your notes in front of you,all given a lecture about being sexist to women on first day, and how to behave in front of females.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Other half just started a college course at 50yrs, she lost someone to suicide, took her yrs to start thinking about anything else, and now she’s turning her experience around to help others. The time to live in is NOW. I got to mid forties and wondered what the f it was all about, lived in a tent with nothing much to speak of, then began helping others, happily stumbled into volunteering, helpx-ing, wwoofing, anything other than disengaging, I know that’s not college but have found self working around people half my age and it’s been encouraging being around others so willing to learn new skills without all the inevitable baggage of us older types. All the best!

Pigface
    Free Member

I went to Uni in my 40’s and found it pretty easy to be honest. Enjoyed the whole experience and my degree got me to the job I am doing now.

Marin
    Free Member

Did similar at age 35ish I think. Had worked maintenance on ship and decorating but no certs. Went to college two days a week got qualified and now earn a lot more and am turning down work at the moment. Lucky on my course as most were mature students like me looking to change jobs or just qualify. The lot in the year ahead were the worst kind of idiots. However they are still probably idiots and I’m better off. Also if your job will give you time off do it as if you get laid off I’d say pretty impossible to get a similar job now without any paperwork. Collecting bits of paper is the way of the world now.
    Also what rwmartin says there is a lot of silly form filling when I just wanted to get on with it but hey-ho. Secures you a future income at the end of the day.

bokonon
    Free Member

I’ve taught older people on courses along side youngsters, and it really depends on the interaction between the two – some people are able to just get along and work with them, but I’ve had some people come in and try and play at being parents to them, which generally ends in failure, and is something I would avoid if I were you.

I had one mature student (on a degree course) complain that (during a break between 2 lessons) some of the other students were discussing lewd sex acts, I explained that not only do I not care what my 18 year old students talk about with each other outside the classroom, I certainly wouldn’t be doing anything about it – if they chose to sit with them (it was a town centre campus with lots of options to go elsewhere) then that was what you can expect from 18 year old boys. It never impacted on the actual teaching or work they were doing, but the person ramped p their opposition to young people being young people (e.g. that person has a hang over in your lesson etc.) and they ended up leaving because they didn’t feel that it was strict enough on the other students.

MoreCashThanDash

Do it.

I did a part time degree in my early/mid 30s as I couldn’t get an interview for the kind of jobs I had done previously as I kept failing at the initial sift.

45 next week and just starting a year long course for work, with another 4 years maybe after that. I figure I’m probably you g gone working for at least 20 more years and I may as well take these chances when they come along if it may make my working life more interesting and possibly better paid.

Wife is halfway through her Masters arm as well.

ads678

I went to Leeds met uni part time when i was 30-34ish it was great. there’s always someone who is a bit more mature so you tend to gravitate towards each other.

The brain soon picks up how to learn again!!

Go for it you’ll feel great when you’ve finished it.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

thats the problem with working in an academic environment, the idiots expect everyone to have a qualification.

seriously though as others have said, do it. no reason not to. i’m 48 and i’d go do a furniture making course, or rather i would if the colleges did them for knowledge not qualification.

apj
    Free Member

Do it! Worst case scenario is that the other people on the course are a bit annoying, but you can just keep yourself to yourself. Even if the qualification doesn’t get you any specific job, it will at least show that you are still open to learning and can pass a course, and that you’re open to change.

Having done some professional qualifications as a (relative) youth alongside some more mature students and everyone got on well.

maccruiskeen

Ms Maccruiskeen’s mum didn’t go to Uni til she was in her late 50s

Do it! Worst case scenario is that the other people on the course are a bit annoying,

I think if most of us are honest we went to college because it was the next thing to do after being at school and it gave us a bit of time to think about what we wanted to do with our lives before we had no choice other than to actually do something with our lives. Thats not to say that we weren’t keen on the subject, hardworking or anything else. But older students, who’ve had to put work on hold to go to college, have got a clearer idea of what they want out their time at college, they’ll be more focused on that goal than their peers and perhaps more impatient – in that respect perhaps more likely to get annoyed with staff than students.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I too went back to college part time to do my Electrics C&G in my thirties. Best thing I ever did. There were two things that really struck me about the experience.

1. I really struggled through maths class when I was at school, just could not get it. Going back to college as an adult, it made so much more sense, it all just clicked. Maybe it was better teachers, and I have to say they were all great teachers, but from being something that I used to literally dread, it became something I enjoyed, so don’t write off your fears just yet. Lots has probably changed since you were last in a classroom.

2. I had the work ethic required to properly see it through as an adult. The kids didn’t really want to be there, and were more keen on dossing about, the older guys were there with a purpose, plus it was costing me money to sit in that classroom which was an incentive. I can’t tell you how great it felt to come out of that final exam with my head held high, knowing I smashed it, having put in all the hard work and effort. That was the best bit by far, and made it all worth while.

Do it.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I know someone who did it in their 50s after being made redundant. He retrained as a draughtsman and makes a good living to this day doing drawings for construction related stuff. Do it.

chewkw
    Free Member

Do it if you have the money and time.

Otherwise, life is too short to keep chasing career advancement.
    Do something else to supplement that instead.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘45 yrs old and thinking of going to college ! .. anyone done it ?’ is closed to new replies.