Home Forums Chat Forum 4 Week Sabbatical – What would you do?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 4 Week Sabbatical – What would you do?
    rickon
    Free Member

Hey!

I have a 4 week holiday from work coming up, start of October. My wee Border Collie pup turns 12 months old, so I’m thinking some camping and walking with the dog would be awesome. No time to worry about, no work, just me, the pup, a tent and a rucksack.

Given the time of year, where would you go and what would you do?

I’m thinking maybe main Lakes area, Seathwaithe, Ambleside etc.

I live in the Scottish Borders, so it’s easy access to most places from here. I’m not thinking the North or the Islands because of the time of year, and everything being shut. But… what do I know, at least the midges will be dead!

So… what would you do?

Ricks

qwerty
    Free Member

Drive somewhere warm or with proper alpine mountains, or get a dog sitter and fly somewhere hot.

IdleJon

Waste about 3 weeks and 6 days before thinking that I should have planned something. :D

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I had the whole of October off a couple of years back. Prime surfing season in the SW, the tourists have gone home, regular swell and the water is still warm.

rickon
    Free Member

OK!

1. Dog is coming wherever I go!

2. LOL

3. I’m not into surfing, but bouldering around the sea cliffs / boulders could be a shout

nbt

Rearrange it for January and go skiing

chakaping

Couple of weeks somewhere warm with bike, probably the Riviera.

Bit of DIY.

Catch up with some friends.

onetimeews

Has your dog got a passport? Will he travel in a trailer

On my list are

European divide trail.

Trans-Dinaric Apls Trail

Via del Plata Camino.

Danube Cycle Path.

If you have a month and you can’t do anything cycle related I’d have a crack at Via del Plata Camino. Seville to Leon. Should be a great time of year for it. And cheap.

If you can ride, (bits of) any of the others.

onetimeews

UK based, maybe the South West Coast Path,  or Sea Kayaking in the Scily Isles

qwerty
    Free Member

B road, road trip around Europe.

didnthurt

October in Scotland can often have better weather than June/July IME, but I’d be heading across the channel, but not sure how easy it is to go around Europe with a dog. How about Ireland?

fasthaggis

Maybe a bit close to home,but the Sandstone way is nice (and easy going).

You could start on the East Coast and then keep going across to the lakes from Hexam.

Ravenber Way with a Berwick on Tweed finish,close to home again,but good if you need to bail.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’d be bumming around Devon and Cornwall in my van checking out stone circles and attempting to surf.

snotrag

I’ve no idea how the dog thing works but I’d  be heading to Europe for sure.

kormoran
    Free Member

Welsh coastal path

Offas dyke path

Both combined!

SW coast path

MoreCashThanDash

Coke and hookers. Obviously.

Keva
    Free Member

Last time I took a sabatical I spent a month in Peru, a month in New Zealand then a month in Australia.

Before that I spent three months travelling from Mexico city to Panama city.

…but I didn’t have a dog.

A mate of mine spent three months walking the South West coast path from Dorset all the way round to Minehead with his dog, camping along the way. You could do a good portion of that in a month, very challenging in places, probably most of it tbh.

tractionman

start of October

I think I’d be checking the forecast in the run up to the start date and just heading for wherever looks driest if it’s camping you’ll be doing, October is going to be dark and damp but more so the further north and west you go!

If the current weather pattern shifts by early Oct, then somewhere along the south coast, possibly Sussex or Dorset, nice country walks, decent boozers, drier(ish) on chalk, easy escapes if it’s wet and miserable…

irc
    Free Member

Delete

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Moab and Sedona

Keva
    Free Member

October is going to be dark and damp but more so the further north and west

disagree, October can be really nice, and it’s the start of the month not the end so clocks are still BST – It is a gamble but there can be some really nice sunny days, leaves turning colour, beautiful.

Me the gf and dogalog are of up to the Derbyshire Peak district for a walking/hiking holiday next week – fingers crossed!

tractionman

it’s the start of the month not the end so clocks are still BST – It is a gamble

yep certainly is a gamble!

if you’re in my neck of the woods (north/west UK) it’s damp and dark in October!

sunrise 08.00 and sunset 18.20 in mid Oct, and that’s before the hour change…

jonba
    Free Member

Depends on how far you want to travel. Sounds like you are driving with the dog which narrows it down. I’d do what someone up there suggested and go where the weather is best. Could be the UK, could be Northern Europe (Ferry from Tynemouth/Hull?).  Have a few ideas and plan last minute. I doubt places are booked at this time of year.

You’d think the south and southwest would be best for weather so I’d probably plan some stuff down there. Maybe look at options to split the drive. Somewhere like the Dales or Peak District. Back in covid when flying was hard my wife and I wanted to do some walking. All the obvious places were booked/expensive. But there is some great walking to be found off the normal tourist trails. It was quite fun getting to know some new places.

I’ve had the last 4+ weeks off, starting a new job Monday. I didn’t get away anywhere. I had loads of bike stuff planned for the weekend and went away at the end of July and am off again in November. I’ve just been enjoying riding my bike, stopping at cafes and generally relaxing. You don’t have to go somewhere to have a good time. You don’t even need to do anything.

dudeofdoom

Drive down to here

<iframe title=”YouTube video player” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/TZJ1DPRhyJk?si=k2qUvKn8JS45oD1e&#8221; width=”560″ height=”315″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

<iframe title=”YouTube video player” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/B7cOL958SCQ?si=s9n89NUwVt4YtlpC&#8221; width=”560″ height=”315″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

https://youtu.be/QKikNstBOl0?feature=shared

davy90
    Free Member

I’d have three or four plans and head where the weather is best nearer the time, a four week window is bound to change…. I’ve had some great trips in Scotland in October/November (Spey descent, Loch Affric)

October in the Alps can be variable, I had 25C clear sunny skies to rain to snow when I did the TMB in the last week of Sept first week of October a few years back. Also everything high up closed down at the end of September.

My only planned sabbatical was a good few years ago, between jobs over Xmas and New Year and the weather was so bad, my planned few weeks off turned into a couple of days on the SDW in the frozen slop…

Best of luck with whatever you do, its a great opportunity.

HansRey

Years ago, I spent two weeks camping with my 4yr old swiss shepherd. We visited the peaks, lakes and fife coast. She was knackered afterwards. Lots of walks. I don’t think she could have managed a month.

What about renting a canal boat? Can mix lazy days with big walks and moor up by a pub on the eve

matt_outandabout

Buy an interrail pass and head for some nice weather and long distance trails, with a tent, rucksack and pooch.

tonyd

You planning on hiking a lot with the pup? Be careful as even at that age they shouldn’t be doing loads. I didn’t run with our spaniels until they were 18 months or older.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Mor esanding and filling on the DS911 I expect :-(

reeksy

not sure how easy it is to go around Europe with a dog. How about Ireland?

For Ireland i think you’re supposed to take a fridge.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Coke and hookers. Obviously.

Cheese and Bitches for the pupper?

I am providing no useful suggestions until payment is paid in full.

RustyNissanPrairie

I recently did a carventure with the doggo and tent to Skye and the West coast of Scotland but seeing as you’ve got a month off and you already live in Scotland I’d go Norway and drive the Atlantic Road heading north and hopefully catch some Northern lights.

Also depends on what vehicle you have and how safe/comfy it is for doggo and more importantly if doggo is happy traveling by car?

IMG-9116
    IMG-9021

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’d do the Pamir highway, if I had a dog that absolutely couldn’t be left behind I’d try the HT550 with it

gooner666

Start here (Treyarnon Bay near Padstow);

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-treyarnon-bay

and walk along the coast. Plenty of camp sites and loads of dog friendly accommodation as well

wbo
    Free Member

Norway at this time of year can be very good, but at the moment it’s very wet,  and the days will be getting short soon. I’d assume 75% of days will be bad weather, inc. snow and sleet.

Have a car and a variety of plans for southern europe

scuttler

Boat to Spain. Drive around Spain then home through France.

BruceWee

I had a 10 day break from the mrs and kids recently.  I had all sorts of plans in my head that involved biking, camping, etc.

As it turned out I ended up lying on the couch drinking wine and watching all 4 seasons of Black Sails (again).

Overall it didn’t feel like wasted time :)

scaled
    Free Member

We did the west kernow way one october half term, was bloody lovely. Only issue is a lot of the camp sites are shut so need to phone and book ahead

Mister-P
    Free Member

“A mate of mine spent three months walking the South West coast path from Dorset all the way round to Minehead with his dog, camping along the way.”

This sounds like a fantastic plan.  I’ve walked a few bits of the path and keep meaning to do more of it but life gets in the way.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.