Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 32Gb RAM
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Just installed this much into my work machine, cos they sent it to me when I asked for a little more to run VMs.

Since I am not running VMs currently, it’s all a bit silly. What can I do to fill it up?

weeksy

fill it up ?

it doesn’t work like that fella.

run a large SQL Database is the easiest answer.

Drac

Firefox should do it.

AlexSimon

Open the file I’m currently working on in Photoshop.
    2m x 1m 180dpi.
    Problem is I’m on 32bit Windows 🙁

(I’m typing this whilst waiting for it to catch up to the nudge command I gave it some time ago)

RustySpanner

Install Norton?

greeble
    Free Member

Open the file I’m currently working on in Photoshop.
    2m x 1m 180dpi.
    Problem is I’m on 32bit Windows

sayyy whatttt!

you need to upgrade asap. your daily production workflow must be dire

andyl
    Free Member

chrome should eat up a big chunk of that if you have a few dozen tabs open too.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I’ll have it – 96Gb in my number-crunching-Linux-box and it ain’t enough….

faz083
    Free Member

32gb to run VM’s! What’s that, 10 mail servers? That’s an insane amount of memory for a desktop.

atlaz
    Free Member

I run two dev VMs almost constantly with Virtualbox and vagrant and have change from 8Gb

chojin
    Free Member

It wasn’t that long ago I was wowed by the equivalent sized HDD 🙄

jota180
    Free Member

Switch the ads back on from here?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hehehe 🙂

I run app server software from a large vendor famous for bloatware, and I sometimes need to run several different types of server all at once.. so 8Gb is a bit stingy for that. 12 would probably do, but I fancied 16 just cos. Then I’m told we need to upgrade our laptops to linux which they say needs 8Gb, and run the app servers in VMs. Great, so that’s 24Gb.. they sent me 32Gb. I’m not complaining 🙂

Incidentally, with 8Gb it was using 4Gb after startup, most of which was memory mapped files, which in turn were mostly virus def files. I thought after upgrading it would allocate more to memory mapping but it hasn’t.

pingu66
    Free Member

You will struggle to kill it. I have 32GB in my lab server running 15 VMs. Marvellous

xiphon
    Free Member

Create a RAMDisk, and relocate your browser cache to a directory on it.

StarWind do a handy program for this. Both my IE and Chrome cache’s are on it….. zoooooooom!

Also using the RAMDisk as the cache storage for Photoshop..

I_Ache
    Free Member

I run app server software from a large vendor famous for bloatware

HP?

I have so much bloatware on my HP ProBook its stupidly slow to start up! I don’t know what is safe to uninstall and what isn’t.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oooh yeah.. ramdisk.. haven’t heard that name in ooh.. many a year.

What else can I cache on it?

I_Ache, I feel for you, I have an HP laptop at home and the stuff it came with whilst not bad is massively bloated.

toby1

Hah, Visual Studio, see how many instances you can open before you melt something!

xiphon
    Free Member

You can use the RAMDisk for pretty much anything you want….. the OS just sees it as another disk.

IIRC the StarWind software ‘remembers’ the state of the RAMDisk, prior to the OS shutting down, and restores it at boot time.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, but what is actually a good idea to put on there?

Just set one up, pointed Firefox browser cache and windows temp at it. I think I have to restart for windows temp to change, but firefox is a hell of a lot quicker.

Incidendally, there was only 750mb of cache after a year of browsing and never clearing it, so even you peons with small amounts of ram ( 😉 ) might benefit from a small ramdisk for this purpose.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

32gig for VM’s here.
    Currently modelling our entire System Centre site for a test upgrade to CM2012 and it’s Creaking!!! WANT MORE!!!

AlexSimon

greeble – Member
    sayyy whatttt!

you need to upgrade asap. your daily production workflow must be dire
    It’s fine for most of the things I do. Just not large display stand posters! I probably only do 2 a year.
    The rest is all screen resolution and it’s still flying for that.

Planning a new computer and CS6 in the new year (and of course 64bit Windows).

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘32Gb RAM’ is closed to new replies.