Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 30.9 to 31.6 shim
  • spev

Anybody put a 30.9 post in a 31.6 frame and used a coke can shim? Is there a better way that i’ve not thought of? Got 2 frames, fancy a dropper post but dont want to fork out for a Gravity Dropper (which is easier to shim from 27.2)

Ewan
    Free Member

I was going to do this as I have a dropper post with a chumba 31.6mm frame. However following a little bit of reasearch I found that USE will make you a custom shim for 6 quid. Bargain.

The USE part code is SS30-9-31.6

USE don’t deal direct with the public so you’ll need to get your LBS to order it. I got evans to do this and it took 4 days to arrive.

The main thing that makes it better than a coke can is that they machine a lip on to it so you can’t actually drop it down the tube.

Works perfectly and saved me getting a second dropper post (and/or messing round with coke cans).

Onzadog
    Free Member

I bet that’s delicate. 0.35 mm thick.

Ewan
    Free Member

Er, 0.7mm thick. It’s about twice as thick as a dr pepper can by my reckoning. Seems robust enough – i’m just going to leave it in the frame afterall.

Onzadog
    Free Member

0.7 is the difference in diameter. The wall thickness would be half that.

Like you say, once it’s in the frame it will be fine. Just delicate getting it there.

Ewan
    Free Member

Ah good point! That’s embrassing!

That said, I wasn’t particularly delicate. I shoved it in. Put post in. Jobs a good un. I’m not known for taking appropiate care!

Northwind

Ah, a special shim from the private stock of Baron Alfred Krupp, who had to sell it at a great sacrifice.

spev

lol, i’ll get onto USE in the morning then 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘30.9 to 31.6 shim’ is closed to new replies.