Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • £300 – £400 novice bike.
  • relliott6879
    Free Member

A friend at work has asked me to point him in the direction of a ‘good’ bike for £300. I’m well aware that a lot of people on here would spend over double that on a pair of forks, but he’s after something to try mountain biking on. I’ve told him that I’ll do some digging, but that he may well be better off looking closer to £400 than £300.

His intended riding will consist of woods and trail centres, such as QE Park. As a complete novice, I don’t envisage him wanting to launch himself 6 feet into the air or attacking rock gardens at 30+ MPH, so I’m guessing a not-overly-burly-hardtail with a triple chainset and around a 100mm travel fork is a likely starting point.

I know the options are going to be somewhat limited, but does anyone know of anything that fits the bill? I’ve just had a look at Canyon’s website, but they start at £500+ which is a little steep for someone just dipping their toe in the waters of mountain biking.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its only 300 quid, so you may aswell get something 2nd hand.

stuarty
    Free Member

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Carrera is the only way to go.

seavers
    Free Member

I would tell your friend to do a lot of research because second hand will probably be his best bet.

My friend sold his rock hopper HT for 350 on feebay. I sold my Evans brand Pinnacle HT for the same price. Both a year old!

If he is just starting out a 100-120 travel HT will do him proud but look for something that is little used, do the research and lots of it. learn about what you are going to buy. When you do buy check it out first, everything should feel smooth, if not walk away.

Don’t be fooled by anything from Argos that says reduced from 599 to 299. It will last about 4 hours, even if you don’t ride it.

relliott6879
    Free Member

I’m pretty clued up when it comes to assessing a bike’s condition if buying secondhand, but I’m likely not going to be on hand to go viewing potential purchases with him. I don’t think he’d be so confident and would prefer something new from a shop, which is known quality and supported by a warranty. I think his best bet may to wait for the next raft of sales and go for something ‘last season clearance’.

The friend does exist by the way. I may be reading seavers’ post wrong, but I get the impression there is a suspicion that he is a ‘friend’… ie me!

skywalker
    Free Member

Orange Five Pro

Seriously though, a second hand On One Inbred or 456 for that money, possibly

relliott6879
    Free Member

skywalkerMember

Orange Five Pro

Find me one for £300 and I’ll buy it myself!

seavers
    Free Member

Oh no relliott6879, I am being totally genuine, very sorry if that came across otherwise!

stuarty
    Free Member

cheep

Opps got img n url wrong way

relliott6879
    Free Member

skywalkerMember

Second hand On One Inbred or 456 for that money, possibly.

You think he’d find a complete bike at that price point? I know the frames are very affordable, but I didn’t realise there was such a heavy depreciation on componentry. I can’t imagine many people build them up with Alivio groupsets and RST forks, after all. It’s an interesting avenue to explore though, and one I hadn’t considered.

Nice swift editing of your post, by the way! 😉

skywalker
    Free Member

Well this ended for £250! Imagine what you could get with £400.

ash.addy
    Free Member
    seavers
    Free Member

relliott6879

The reason i rambled on about research is because I was surprised at how little you can pick up a decent £600 bike a year or so after someone has had a play and progressed to something else.

chojin
    Free Member

I managed to pick this up for £260 and it has been ridden once!

I so happen to think I got the bargain of the century though 8)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

For £500 second hand, I think most people could get all the bike they’d ever realistically need.

mec287
    Free Member

Try this in forum search. Any use???

FS – Orange Sub 5 Pro bike (18 inch frame size)

athgray
    Free Member

Try ex hire from a trail centre. I got a Kona Cindercone from Glentress for £400 last year. Good thing is if you hire one, they will take the cost of the hire off the bike if you buy.

jim76
    Free Member

Specialized Hardrock Disc is a decent starter bike

Gordy
    Free Member
    PePPeR

For new I’d recommend having a look at Pauls Cycles

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/offers.php?cat=1

There’s normally some good bikes available on there in the price range you’re looking at.

Something like this is available in all sizes. Cannondale Trail SL5

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p3692

Northwind

Halfords or Decathlon will be best for new bikes at this price. TBH at the low end of the market you need to be very careful buying used, since what you’re often looking at is inexpensive bikes that have been forgotten. So sometimes you can get something like I did, a ridden-twice bargain, but other times you’ll get a heap of neglect and expense.

jambalaya
    Free Member

jim76 – Member
    Specialized Hardrock Disc is a decent starter bike

I started on a £350 Hardrock with V-brakes. It got me going but it wasn’t long before I moved on. Very harsh to ride, forks and brakes quite hopeless.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with cheap suspension forks at that pricepoint. get a Ridgeback Cyclone and upgrade some bits. http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B3706.html?mv_pc=gp1

Joxster
    Free Member

Have a look at the Diamond back Response, it’s a bit over budget at £500 but VFM it’s good. Shimano Deore mechs and changers, shimano hydraulics, rock shoxs and a SRAM chainset.

yunki
    Free Member

My little bro is keen to join me out on the trails as well as commuting to work..

So he chucked me £300 the other day and..

I will shortly be handing him a very smart Sanderson Breath with an Orange F8 fork, Hope/Mavic wheels and a Deore/SLX 1×9 groupset with finishing kit and bits and bobs from the shed..

Thanks STW classifieds (although I really really want to keep the new build myself now 😐 )

Kevevs
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I would do Yunki. But work colleague who has no idea about bikes n stuff asked my advice recently, she had £300 each for her and her bloke to spend on a bike – Not knowing anything about bikes, bike bits or bike building. I reckon the Ridgeback cyclone is an ideal starter..

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘£300 – £400 novice bike.’ is closed to new replies.