Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 3 feet to pass government response
  • mrmo
    Free Member

response

I feel the government have excelled once again with a well thought out response.

uplink
    Free Member

It was an ill thought out petition to begin with – I really couldn't see what the petitioners hoped to gain with it

simon_g

Good.

AndyP
    Free Member

No surprise there. Really poor idea to start with.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

They worded that petition so poorly it was a complete waste of everyones time.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Response seems fine to me.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I like the subtle subtext of
    GO BUY THE HIGHWAY CODE YOU IDIOTS!!!!
    🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

It is implicit in the response either (a) that they do not think there is a problem or (b) that they do not think the petition offers the appropriate solution.

While it is probably a bit of a big ask, I would quite like it to be explicit in the response which of (a) or (b) is behind the stated fact that the government has no plans to introduce such legislation.

These petitions are all a waste of tiem though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Those petitions are a total waste of space. They are a total sap, designed to give the illusion that us "little people" are involved somehow. They're pointless.

kimbers

it was a bollox idea anyway

the response of just give as much room as youd give a car like it already says in the code is fine

after all how can you tell if a driver is 2 ft 11 inces or the full 36 inches away from you which raises the point wtf is still measuring things in feet and inches apart from my dad

MrNutt
    Free Member

yep, its all cock.

The Highway Code advises drivers to give cyclists at least as much room as a car when overtaking and to give them plenty of room and pay attention to any sudden change they may have to make.

cycle lane, pavement, Rupp, motorway, its all fair game really. tea anyone?

oldgit
    Free Member

Give as much room as you would a horse or your own kid is the way I see it.

scruff
    Free Member

So I was right to punch to Audi's side window this morning?

AndyP
    Free Member

If you were able to reach, then yes, they were obviously too close. Unless you are Mr Tickle.

oldgit
    Free Member

When was that ever wrong ❓

cookeaa

I’m tempted to start my own useless petition asking the government to define once and for all, clearly, just how long a piece of string actually is…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Stupid unworkable idea gets reasonable response. What's the issue?

miketually
    Free Member

The Highway Code advises drivers to give cyclists at least as much room as a car when overtaking and to give them plenty of room and pay attention to any sudden change they may have to make.

Do you go as far over to the other side of the road as you would for a car, or leave the same gap as you would between the cars?

uplink
    Free Member

Do you go as far over to the other side of the road as you would for a car, or leave the same gap as you would between the cars?

I give as much room as I can [within reason] for all overtaking
    Probably a minimum of 4' & a maximum of 10' – bike or car

mudshark
    Free Member

The problem really is about motorists' ignorance but can't legislate for that.

mrmo
    Free Member

But the government could have said they were planning to address the obvious ignorance? but they didn't. The petition was badly worded but did raise the point that drivers don't give room when overtaking. The person who responded has chosen to brush it aside with little though about how to enforce the rules that exist.

crazy-legs

If you could the roads would be a LOT quieter!
    As others have said – rubbish idea in the first place, it's got the response it deserves.

mk1fan
    Free Member

mudshark – Member

I'd say it's about peoples' ignorance rather than motorists'

Road safety would be improved if airbags were replaced with spikes.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘3 feet to pass government response’ is closed to new replies.