Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 3 days in London
  • easygirl

2 carrot crunching northerners down to that london for 3 days……

Any good ideas what to see, interesting food spots, markets etc
    Seen houses parliament etc , fancy something different, like walking around exploring
    Some good ale houses

fasthaggis

Greenwich park ,then the market.

Walk through the foot tunnel under the river .

russianbob
    Free Member

Pitt Cue for tea one night.

Boris bike pub crawl, round London’s fashionable East London. Some great boozers round there.

Stroll along the South Bank from Westminster Bridge to Tower Bridge then river bus from Tower Bridge down to Westminster Pier – about £7 from what I recall whereas the actual tours are more like £50.

Cutty Sark and Brunel’s Tunnel and Greenwich, perhaps a Meantime Brewery Tour.

Basically stay out of the West End.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

its streetfeast festival atm, in Dalston. mega.

http://www.streetfeastlondon.com/#!dalston-yard/c15ge

also Borough market is a definite on a saturday.

Victoria Park is mighty fine too. great walk along the regents canal from Angel.

avoid west end.

Straightliner

Borough Market near to London Bridge for nice produce/cheeses.

The Eye is actually quite good, but book tickets in advance.

senorj

Check out parliament hill/Hampstead Heath /kenwood house in North London .
    On lovely evenings like this it can be quite lovely to get a picnic/drinks and sit in regents park & people watch.

boltonjon

Come riding in Swinley – 45 minutes by train 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hoxton and the surrounds are the trendy/arty East End area these days, there’s a breakfast/bunch place there my veggie daughter likes.
    Borough market is great for foods but a lot of meat in case you are squeamish, not every day of the week so check
    Take river taxi/ferry over to Greenwhich (I see pictured above), National Maritime Museum, route has stops at London Bridge or Embankment
    Try and get a booking at (the fabulous) Ottolenghi’s in Islington or just grab lunch at the deli in Belgravia there are tables outside at the back and it’s no so expensive (nice to walk around the area, Belgravia and Eaton Sq etc) and not far from Green Park and Buck House/Mall.
    See if you can do a walking tour – there are many guided ones with different themes.

timmys

Pitt Cue for tea one night.

I’m guessing the carrot crunching bit means they are disabled with the veggie 🙁

If not let me add;
    Tayyabs
    Meat Liquor/Market/Mission

easygirl

No carrot crunching refers to northerners
    We are fit and eat any meat!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Beer? You need to get yourself over to Cask, in Pimlico.

russianbob
    Free Member

Cask is poor in my opinion and not much around there apart from the Tate. Much much better Craft pubs. Such as Craft in Leather Lane for instance.

pk13

Walk/Boris bike from the eye to battersea park along the river.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Stay East in the evening everything is shoreditch Hoxton Spitalifields as mentioned avoid west LDN it’s had its day TBH. Brick Lane for curry, Tate Modern on south bank or anything on south bank really. Columbia road flower market on Sunday in shoreditch has to be seen if u here. And yeah if you fancy it walk up Kingsland Road to Dalston to get a real flavour of what us happening in LDN u might ever see Stewart Lee 🙂

easygirl

Thanks
    Plenty good ideas there

bikebouy
    Free Member

I live in Canary Wharf and thoroughly recommend over this way too, all places mentioned are fab and if it takes your fancying for proper food try Nopi in Warwick St Soho, but book you can’t get in otherwise.
    Failing that salt beef bagel from the bagel shop nearest the top of brick lane or pop into Fika (next door) for funky Swedish food. If it’s cocktails then Plateau in Canary wharf has to be beaten IMO, pop over and say Hi 😆

timmys

No carrot crunching refers to northerners
    We are fit and eat any meat!

In that case I’ll flesh out my suggestions;

Tayyabs Best curry in London by a mile. Be prepared to wait in line, or if you book, then to also wait in line just, in a separate, slightly shorter line. Order “mixed starter” (not on menu but that’s what everyone asks for) and the dry meat curry.

Ignore anyone who tells you to go to Brick Lane for a curry. They are all without exception awful, hence the irritating numpties touting outside every door with offers of free drinks etc. to try and get you in.

Meat Liquor/Mission/Market
    Meat Liquor – The original, behind Oxford Street. Be prepared to queue at anything like peak times. No booking. Amazing burgers. Amazing cocktails.
    Meat Market – Covent Garden (quite hidden away), very similar menu but set up more fast-food, ie. you order at the counter. Queues a lot shorter.
    Meat Mission – Hoxton Square. Not actually been but similar menu again but this one is very innovative in that it actually takes bookings.

sarpullido
    Free Member

Go to Broadway street market near London Fields on Saturday. You can also have a barbecue in the park.

eshershore
    Free Member

@easygirl

bring bikes…

you have this:

road

mountain

failing the idea of bikes…get an Oyster Card to save money

check out Camden Market, Covent Garden, Smithfields Market, Spitalfields Market, Hampstead Village and Hampstead Heath (great for walking). Get down to the Southbank and have a good walk alongside the River Thames, preferably East towards Tower of London

and take a “Fast Clipper” boat from Central London down to Greenwich:

pk13

Photo from battersea park

eshershore
    Free Member

greenwich foot tunnel

richmond park

sunrise on Waterloo bridge

MrSmith
    Free Member

If you are here for the weekend then I reccomend the maltby st market and walking from London bridge and going right to the end of the arches (last stop the kernel brewery) you have to try the st John donuts (don’t but them from the kiosk on bermondsey st but from the bakery stall) and then back into town via a bus/tube from bermondsey tube station. Less tourists than borough market as it’s slightly off the beaten track.

Tiger6791

Esher Shore

Does that women know you keep following her and taking photos? 😯

MrSmith
    Free Member

Gelato from Gelupo on archer st (and lunch from Bocca di Lupo opposite)
    If the suns out then hampstead Heath and a pint at the flask, the Rake and the market porter in borough will have hundereds of beer options from round the world. If you like Belgian beer then dovetails in St. John’s passage is good and no tourists as off the beaten track,the Jerusalem tavern is just round the corner if you have made it that far you are half way to hipsterville brick lane/spitalfields market.

kimbers

sadly stables markey in camden is on fire at the moment, hope its not too bad as its a brilliant place to see the world go by and get some nice food

mtbtom
    Free Member

Shard is a good afternoon… expensive though. Best booked in advance too. You’re rewarded with, I think the best view across London and more time at that height than in the wheel.

Best pub for me is Lowlander near Covent Garden. Delicious Belgian beers galore!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘3 days in London’ is closed to new replies.