Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2×10 clutch mech worth it?
  • white91
    Free Member

Will I see any benefit from fitting a X9 clutch mech instead of a standard mech?

I was under the impression they were more geared (no pun intended) toward 1×10 set ups?

ska-49
    Free Member

2×10 on my bike. Very very good bit of kit. I used to drop my chain on a double (partly why I went 1×10). Not had any issues on my set up! I’m running the x9 type 2 as well. No need for a bottom roller on a double.

white91
    Free Member

If I’m building I bike I’m doing the best job I can, gonna splash £60 on one!

Northwind

The advantages aren’t as big as on single ring but still totally worth it IMO. Enabled me to drop the Stinger off my big bike, and run no device at all on my little bike- first time in ages I’ve had dual ring bikes with no chain devices, and no issues at all.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Quieter, less slap, working well for me on 2×10 with no chain device or bash.

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

I had an excellent long weekend riding in Molini – maritime Alps – on my Zesty with 2×10 (with bash) and X9 type 2. No dropped chains at all which surprised me. In fact I haven’t ever dropped a chain since it’s been on. Others will disagree but I think clutch mechs + 2x set up is the way to go. It’s possibly lighter than a 1X10 + chain devise, has less drag and gives you all the gears you’ll need. Simples!

lank45
    Free Member

Going 2×10 this weekend, got a 11-36 cassette and planning on running 22/36 up front, the 36/36 isn’t going to cause any issues is it? Looking forward to riding with it, I hear the shifting is crisp with the new XTR rear mech. Does anyone ever turn the clutch off on the Shimano system?

Northwind

Oh yah, I should have said… Clutch is totally worthwhile in a dualring. 10 speed, maybe not so much.

Both of mine are 9-and-a-half speed and I honestly can’t see any reason to spend the extra for full 10-speed for as long as decent 9-speed kit is available. Especially since Shimano were so unsubtle about copying SRAM’s shifting feel, there’s not much difference at all between my X9/XT combos and my all-Saint 10-speeds.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Does anyone ever turn the clutch off on the Shimano system?

Only to take the back wheel out or take chain off to clean. Rode once with it off by mistake and I dropped the chain, which I never usually do even with a non-clutch. So, I’ve concluded that if you have a clutch mech, always ride with the clutch on.

lank45
    Free Member

Also, will my 9 speed front mech still work with the 10 speed set up?

svalgis
    Free Member

Also, will my 9 speed front mech still work with the 10 speed set up?

Yes.

There’s no reason at all to ever ride with the clutch off.

lank45
    Free Member

Great, looks like I’m on for a good weekend of fettling. Off to Les Gets in 6 weeks so decided to strip the bike down and treat it to some parts, did the stripping last Saturday but turns out the rear wheel bearings are shot as are the frame bearings (Orange Alpine 160).

Everything bar my new 36t ring has arrived, so got to fit new bearings, rebuild the drivetrain with XTR rear mech, and a mix of SLX and a KMC chain, and fit my warranty replacement Reverb before a ride on Sunday. Oh and we have to do my Dad’s Intense Tracer 2 as well. Hopefully be no bearing issues there. I love fettling!!!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Very pleased with my Shimano SLX 2×10 with clutched mech. Riding very rocky trails without a chain device.

bigblackshed

1 x 6, yes really, with a Zee mech. Not a sound from rear end, let alone dropping the chain. Fantastic bit of kit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2×10 clutch mech worth it?’ is closed to new replies.