Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 29er/700c Tyre for commuting with puncture resistance?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Yes, I did do a quick search and only one result came up in the last year so thought I’d ask …

Using Vittoria Randonneur Pros on my 26in bike at the mo which have been good, need the puncture resistance as part of my commute is along an undercliff walkway along a seafront which gets strewn with stones and flints during the winter, I got these a few years ago for a bargain price. So looking for the same in 700c for my 29er and they seem expensive so is there anything else to consider that’s a good price and good performer? Thanks.

scotroutes

Marathon. Plus version for ultimate protection

drovercycles
    Free Member

We’re using Randonneur Pros on our hire fleet as they’re cheaper than our other go-to option, the Schwalbe Marathon (or Marathon Plus if you really dislike punctures). The Vittorias are a bit lighter and more supple, too, in my experience.

What price are you seeing the Randonneur Pros at? They shouldn’t be expensive, to be honest.

danti

+1 Marathon Plus

willyboy
    Free Member

I like these Continentals. They come up a bit narrow so I go for 37 instead of 32.
    If you are in Sheffield you can have a part used 32c one free.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Vittoria – just had a quick google this morning – Ribble are about £19 but no stock, Evans £27, amazon about £24, I’ll have a better look when I’ve got a bit more time as I’m at work at the mo but I’m sure my 26in ones were about £13 when I got them.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Those Contis look good – not in Sheffield I’m afraid, is Sheffield near the sea? 😉

willyboy
    Free Member
    Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

😆

GregMay
    Free Member

Marathon+ here.

tthew

I use the Sport Contact version of the Continentals. Same carcass, but a much slicker tread.

Fast, and over 3 pairs and thousands of miles I think I’ve had 3 or 4 punctures, none in the last year. Can’t recommend them highly enough.

TPTcruiser

Marathon+
    No time lost cycling to work and back, ~3000 miles/year.

CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, Marathon Plus are very puncture proof, but rather heavy and slow.
    Marathon Supreme are a lot lighter, still pretty tough.

Or Panaracer Pasela PT or Ribmo PT are pretty good, not too expensive.

disco_stu
    Free Member

The Marathon Plus also have the advantage of lasting many years.
    My front Marathon Plus has in the region of 15,000km commuting miles over 3 years ( the puncture proof layer is showing in a few places ), some Randonneurs I bought lasted about 6 months commuting.
    as a few other people have pointed they are slow and heavy though.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Bearing in mind that this is essentially a ‘what tyre?’ thread and so everyone’s opinion is correct (and everyone else’s opinion is thereby incorrect) this is my hierarchy of tyres based on personal experience (six years cycle-commuting all year round covering circa 8,000 commuting km per annum)

Fast and ok puncture protection – Continental GP4000S
    Decent handling in wet weather & ok puncture protection – Continental GP 4 Seasons
    Better puncture protection but slower and poor in the wet – Continental Gatorskins
    Even better puncture protection but wooden feel to the ride – Specialized Armadillos
    Bombproof but heavy and slow – Marathon+
    Schwalbe Ultremos – paper thin and useless for commuting

Schwalbe The Ones are next on the list to see how I get on with tubeless on the road bike

kerley
    Free Member

Halo courier (Berlin for rear for extra puncture resistance)

Berlin is up there with a Marathon plus yet much lighter and faster.

Ribmo’s are also good and even faster and lighter but pricier.

However for absolute puncture resistance then Marathon plus. I didn’t even take a repair kit when using them…

2bit

+1 Marathon plus – years without an issue.

I can’t reccommend the Marathon supremes tho’ – wanted to try them to cut down weight & have had 2 x punctures in last 2 months..

TiRed

“Schwalbe The Ones are next on the list to see how I get on with tubeless on the road bike”

Enjoying mine. Nice supple ride, good puncture resistance, wear faster than Marathon Plus and Duranos, which I have on the trike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Marathon Plus are good yes, and do have very good puncture resistance. They they do last well too, 6-7000 miles is fairly common.
    But if you’ve got the money the Marathon Supreme is quite a bit better in every respect. Value comes in their 12000 mile life….

trail_rat
    Free Member

I ditched the marathons on my commuter

Was like having a car with run flats , harsh and uninspiring.

Running 28mm gatorskins now, bikes far nicer to ride.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Good, a few more to look up.

Something a bit lighter/supple might be good. The Randonneurs I have are about 450g and I guess the puncture protection adds stiffness as well as weight (1 puncture in just over a year though, so good) but they do feel a bit harsh on bumps – the undercliff walkway bit is slabs of concrete not joined to well and it’s a constant bud-dum bad-dum but it’s away from traffic and right next to the sea 😀

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Schwalbe One 25mm

used for a whole winter on rural lincolnshire roads, no issues

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you were to spec a car for commuting, it would be, in this sort of order;
    – Reliable
    – Comfortable
    – Value for money

It wouldn’t be a rocket ship sports car with razor sharp handling, it wouldn’t be something gorgeous to look at like a classic luxo-barge. It would be something like a Golf, a Civic or the like. Reliable, comfortable and good value for money.

Same with tyres for commuting. I’d say Marathon Plus on my own experience (On a Brompton), but this is rather good too;

Fast and ok puncture protection – Continental GP4000S
    Decent handling in wet weather & ok puncture protection – Continental GP 4 Seasons
    Better puncture protection but slower and poor in the wet – Continental Gatorskins
    Even better puncture protection but wooden feel to the ride – Specialized Armadillos
    Bombproof but heavy and slow – Marathon+

FWIW, my commuting was either Central London, or a combination of that with rural Hampshire lanes. All weather, train to catch sort of thing. Marathon Plus were, as above, utterly bombproof. Slow? Not that I noticed on the Brompton running at high pressure! More than fast enough.

Commuting isn’t about the feel of the ride, that’s just an added bonus. It’s about getting there easily. Every time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sorry flashy. Lifes too short to ride shit bikes.

I do more miles on my commuter than any other bike , it should ride nice.

Although i do understand how much of a pain in the arse bromptons are if you get a puncture.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Which is why I don’t ride shit bikes! Just ones ideally suited to the purpose. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

How fars your commute, a bike that ride shit grates after 50k each day.

With marathons on i was comtemplating selling the bike (road rat)

Same bike with gatorskins is transformed into a comfortable place to be for 2 hours a day.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘29er/700c Tyre for commuting with puncture resistance?’ is closed to new replies.