Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 29er rims question – which Light-Bicycle rim?
  • krixmeister

Hi all-

Without opening the “Chinese carbon rims you will die” can of worms, just wanting to know what is the most up-to-date thinking on which rims to get from Light-Bicycle?
    In particular, wondering if anyone has actually tried the hookless rims? I have no experience with hookless – can you chuck a tube into your tire with hookless rims (when running tubeless), if you have a flat?
    Also – which weave/finish are the cool kids using nowadays?

Gee76
    Free Member

Tempted to go hookless meself, tho wish they’d done some a bit wider, can live with 22mm tho and suspect the hookless bead mean the trye will plump up a little more. Maybe enough to feel like they’re 23mm wider 29er rim!.

Are the hookless up on the site… wanders of to check!!. Would do a group buy but LB don’t do much in the wya of discount and onwards post frm uk might cancel out any savings!! Unless af ew of us are local!.

Gee76
    Free Member

Just checked…ah still mid oct sales for hookless rims it appears!!.

krixmeister

I was on “live chat” with them today – quoting about 10 days for manufacturing and delivery for the hookless rims.

Any thoughts on weave/finish?

Gee76
    Free Member

UD Matt 28 hole for me, same as me last 26er wides and will lace to some nice dt 240 hubs (once i find a rear to match me front!) 🙂

Gee76
    Free Member

Last time I asked it was maybe a 5 ish% off for 8-10 rims. A touch more would make it worthwhile for the hassle of reposting etc!.

Buzzard
    Free Member

I’m interested in these hookless rims but still not convinced. Will be interested to hear real feedback assuming you pull the trigger. Was planning on buying some from LB before they started producing hookless and now I’m sort of waiting to see how those pan out and just making do with what Ive got till then.

_daveR
    Free Member

For the uneducated, what does the hookless rim offer?

Gee76
    Free Member

In theory a tougher rim (with a more stout n shorter bead) that’s lighter yet easier to make (tho sadly that didn’t translate to cheaper!).

The lower sidewall might mean a bit more flex n thus grip from tyre but that is just reading across Stans BST theory I guess.

Just slipped n bought me spokes for these so hope the erd is consistent to drwg!

shortcut

What is the longevity like on rims from Light Bicycle and are the same carbon rims as you get from say Specialized Roval or DT? ie same rim, different / no label?

Jason
    Free Member

All mine are still going strong. I have four LB 29er wider rims in total, the oldest pair are now over a year old. A few very light cosmetic marks during that time. I don’t think they make rims for anyone else, but I would imagine they are one of the largest manufacturers of carbon rims, given the number of threads on here and MTBR.

Gee76
    Free Member

There’s is a wee thread over on mtbr with lots of info on the wide rims mainly. (see 29er components forum). Lots to wade thru but essentially there’s the odd fail (as with any product – there’s about 4000 comments so not a bad ratio anyway) but mostly all good.

LB revised production recently to improve strength and these new hookless rims are only a wee bit lighter (15-20g ish) for 3mm less width and a lesser beadhook. To me it feels that there’s probably as much material in these as is in the wides and with a stouter bead to boot so not too worried re strength per se.

Hookless has been done before, is common for cars and rivals are moving that way too zoo although kinda new is a minor risk I guess. Probably all come down to rim and tyre tolerances then!

m_t_b
    Free Member

Have had the 30mm 29 rims for about 6 months and they are superb bombproof and light highly recommended

Gee76
    Free Member

Yeah had my 26ers for about the same and have been fine. In some respects they don’t even show marks as bad as black painted rims.

Oh and just remembered that the new hookless rims have a deeper section so use shorter spokes for better stiffnes in theory too!.

the_lecht_rocks

I’ve ordered the Derby Rims…… Proper wide and great tyre profile at less than arch ex weights in 29″. Looking forward to trying them !

DT78
    Free Member

what sort of tyre width do you need on those derby rims to make it worthwhile? Currently running 2.1 rocket rons..

zenonnex
    Free Member

Yeah, I am using Schwalbe Rocket Ron Evo 2.1 as well; sufficient stuff

markyd

Ive ordered a pair of 29er hookless. They quoted 14days to manufacture. I currently use ArchEX and the LB are slightly wider, deeper and lighter.

You’d struggle to find a car or bike rim with a hooked rim so should be considered proven tech?

Northwind

I liked Specialized’s comments on hookless rims… “One day one of our guys said “Why do these have hooks” and we all went “Durr, bike wheels all have hooks” and he said “Yeah, but why”, and we all went “Durr, bike wheels all have hooks”. So he said “Yeah, but why”…

ratherbeintobago

Does anyone have any experience of the hookless Spesh rims?

keavo
    Free Member

the 30mm 29er’s aren’t bombproof. I’ve cracked 2 of the 6 I’ve had. I still like them though.

Jonny5
    Free Member

Sorry slight hijack, I’m looking at getting the wider 29er rims for my xc bike. I’m planning on using revolution spokes would a 28h build be stiff enough for a 75 kg rider?

Gee76
    Free Member

Gonna give 28h a go meself…. 80kg without gear. Was fine for 26″ lb rims!

Gee76
    Free Member

J273
    Free Member

I’ve got my eye on these being 30mm wide would this cause clearance issues on my 29th HT which is pretty tight with my current flows and 2.3 saguaro’s

thanks

Jonny5
    Free Member

Good to know thanks.

bol

Thread resurrection: Any more recent experience of the hookless 29er rims? How do they compare to Crests and Arch EXs in use?

justatheory
    Free Member

About to pull the trigger on some hookless rims. Can’t decide whether to get 32h F&R or 28h front and 23 rear. I’m 85kg.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

32 f+r solely for hub choice

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘29er rims question – which Light-Bicycle rim?’ is closed to new replies.