• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 29er forks, alternatives to Pikes
  • st

Is hopping round for a new 29″ fork and wondering whether to go for something other than a Pike.

I’ve got a current version Revelation 140mm but it was bought for a hardtail and is now on a full sus and since setting the bike up I’ve got rid of my downhill bike so really want something a bit more substantial.

i had a 26″ Pike RCT3 before and it was great, nice and stiff and the performance was good too.

This means that it was the default choice but then setting aside the price should I be looking at an MRP Stage or DVO Diamond.

Ideally I’ll be running 130mm travel to drop the front end a touch but 140mm would be OK.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Ta.

Shackleton

I love my stage. Performs at least as well as a pike but feels better built and has externally adjustable spring rate. Plus you can run a 10mm longer stage for the same a-c.

Anecdotally more reliable too. No idea about other brands though.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

DVO Diamonds look alright a worthy alternative.

damascus
    Free Member

What about these in the sale? My friend has a pair with the uni crown and he really likes them. No idea what the travel adjust version is like. These are the 34mm stanctions versions so beefier than revs

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/x-fusion-trace-rl2-dla-uni-crown-forks-15mm-2014/rp-prod130019?gs=1&gclid=CKqokuWdycgCFReZGwodt8oMjQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

st

Cheers all.

Not sure about the XFusions, had a set of Slide 29s a year or so ago and wanted to like them but they didn’t work out, they felt really basic and the I couldn’t get the air Spring anything like right.

wiggles
    Free Member

Fox?

34’s with the new FIT4 damper and great, light too.

Or 36’s for ultimate stiffness and super plushness, small bump is way better than the pike.

st

Hmmm, 34s could fit the bill, 36s might just end up a touch too far. Is the travel reduction by spacers or a Talas dial?

z1ppy

New X Fusion (Trace) come with the ‘new’ roughcut damper, so maybe better than the old stuff you’ve tried, up there with the MRP/et-all price wise though.
    TBH I’m struggling to see past another set of Pike or some MRP’s myself, think it’ll come down to what deal I can find

mboy
    Free Member

Can’t recommend the stage enough. Where the Pike needs opening up and faffing about with the get a good setup, the Stage feels good straight out the box with a few twiddles on the external adjusters. The Stage is considerably more active than the Pike I find too, though some will argue the Charger Damper in the Pike has more compression control, in practice I find the Stage has more than enough adjustment for my requirements.

Also, though the Stage is “only” a 34mm stanchioned fork, it feels a lot stiffer than a Fox 34 or any other 34mm forks, and easily a match for the Pike at 35mm if not stiffer still. Yes, it’s 50g heavier, but that’s really the only downside in my opinion.

If you’re in the Midlands and wanted to try one out, give me a shout.

st

Thanks guys, it looks like the Xfusion shouldn’t just be ignored.

Mboy, thanks for the offer. I’m a Cannock Chase local so might take you up on it.

woodster

@mboy, how much is a Stage? Can’t seem to find any european stock.

It’s either that or a 36 RC2 for me if I get a new Pike on warranty replacement.

Gotama
    Free Member

Another vote for the Stage, I think mine are great from a performance perspective and prefer them to pikes I’ve ridden. I particularly like the ramp control.

Edit it is also very easy to change the travel on the stage whereas the pike needs a new airshaft albeit I don’t think that is a particularly expensive part.

st

Woodster, I’ve found this link http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-forks-c6/suspension-forks-c52/mrp-stage-fork-p9621

I was also planning on contacting Loco who can get them but will hang on until I’ve properly narrowed the options down.

mboy
    Free Member

£750 woodster

Distributor has current stock, so any order could be fulfilled within a couple of days…

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Using a Fox34 myself and think it is really good. had a Pike before but it was longer travel so not a like for like comparison.

TBH I do not think any of the forks mentioned are bad, it just comes down to your budget, personal preference and availability.

woodster

Thanks, that’s almost twice what I paid for my Pikes and a good chunk more than a 36 which I know I’d be happy with.

mboy
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s almost twice what I paid for my Pikes and a good chunk more than a 36 which I know I’d be happy with.

Herein lies the problem… Pikes are £800 RRP and 36’s are over £900 RRP. But nobody expects to pay RRP for them…

Loving my Stage fork, it’s genuinely a step up performance wise IMO. Because they’re not coming specced on any bikes, and no bike manufacturers have surplus stock they’re selling off cheap to the likes of CRC/Wiggle, you’re not likely to get a deal on one I’m afraid!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘29er forks, alternatives to Pikes’ is closed to new replies.