Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • 27.5 opinion please
  • ash.addy
    Free Member

I have a Knolly Chilcotin frame unused sent as a warranty replacement for my Endorphin. Also have a CCDB to go with it. I fancy a 27.5 frame any suggestions. I don’t want to use the Knolly frame to lose any potential value that I could put into another frame. I could also sell a Bottlerocket to fund this new frame. I’d probably like a 140 frame I’m a biggish guy so would need something burly.
    Anyone with any ideas or experiences. So many options out there.
    By the way I enjoy riding local trails in Swansea as well as Afan and there are a few trips planned to Bike Park Wales.
    Cheers
    Ash

philfive
    Free Member

Banshee rune

ash.addy
    Free Member

As I already have a bottlerocket did think about a covert or possibly Bandit?

oli31
    Free Member

In the tradition of recommending what you own what about a nukeproof mega tr? proven big bike pedigree in a more trail friendly format

ash.addy
    Free Member

Hadn’t thought about nuke proof I’ll take a look now

ash.addy
    Free Member

Hadn’t thought about nuke proof I’ll take a look now

chiefgrooveguru

In the tradition of recommending what you own what about a Banshee Spitfire? proven big bike pedigree in a more trail friendly format

Massive awesomeness of downhillability that pedals far better than seems possible.

oli31
    Free Member

Get on really well with mine (26″) takes a 160 fork tons of stand over and perfect for 90% of my riding

oli31
    Free Member

Like what you’ve done there cgg

ash.addy
    Free Member

That Banshee does look good;-)

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I’m just building up my Spitfire at the moment. You can get 26 or 650b dropouts plus the option to get it with a ccdb

chiefgrooveguru

That Banshee does look good;-)

It does doesn’t it? 🙂

I used to feel like I was ragging my Soul right to its limits – now I feel like the Spitfire laughs at my attempts and tells me to ride faster and jump further…

ash.addy
    Free Member

If I went for that spitfire I could run it as a 26 until I could save for wheels and forks – that means I could keep my bottlerocket frame or would I wasn’t to?

Rune or Spitfire – both look bombproof and I’m never going to run fully downhill so 140 is it enough?

coogan
    Free Member

Pivot Mach 6.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Forget the Pivot it’s plastic has to be Ali or steel

ash.addy
    Free Member

If I went for a spitfire or rune would it be CCDB or the fox – best for keeping it simple

chiefgrooveguru

It’s quite a lot of bike – quicker through BPW’s rock gardens than 150-160mm bikes like SB66s and Coverts, despite having technically less travel on the back.

I really like the CCDBair-CS. Set the sag for your weight/style, turn the knobs to the base settings and very little tweaking needed after that (I’ve just slowed the HSR down a turn). Once it’s right for you then you can ignore it. It pedals so well that I only bother with the climb switch when I have an epic ascent to do or my legs are totally knackered and need some help. I only mess with the Pike for tarmac. Very easy on the brain compared to the CTD discussions I hear going on around me!

philfive
    Free Member

I have a Rune and it’s a brilliant bike, you won’t break any climbing records but for such a big bike it climbs well. The spitfire is a more rounded bike for all day in the saddle or epic distances, the rune is a winch and plummet bike.
    Mine is built up in 650b flavour, CCDBcs, flow ex on hope hubs, fox 34 fit adjust, renthal fatbar, reverb stealth and weighs in at 32.5lb but like insaid it doesn’t pedal like it.

br
    Free Member

Knolly Chilcotin

Based on a review I just read, build this up and don’t worry you’ve the ‘wrong’ wheelsize 🙂

mmel
    Free Member

More spitfire love here. The suspensions works so well and as said previously once set up right the CCDB can be just left to do it’s thing. It’s as complicated or as simple as you want it to be. The CCDB also complements the Pikes as they have very similar feeling damping qualities. Mine has 26 inch wheels at the moment but the Pikes are 650b so if I ever feel the need it’ll be a straight swap.

Gotta say, I’ve not found much to be negative about. Maybe it’s a little heavy…

JCL
    Free Member

The Banshee is a noodle. If you’re a big guy I’d be looking elsewhere.

I’d go for a Process probably.

philfive
    Free Member

JCL seriously. The rune is like a tank and the spitfire isn’t some lightweight race machine.

JCL
    Free Member

Sorry I meant the Spitfire.

Quite a lot of flex in that frame. Not that that’s a bad thing, just not great for big guys IMO.

Small diameter tubes with no hydroforming and a few gussets. What do you expect really?

Euro
    Free Member

OP…

I’m a biggish guy so would need something burly.

As this is the singletrackworldwideweb.com/net and a biggish drop is 3 feet/biggish jump 8 feet, we need to know how big biggish is in real world facts and figures? (I think JCB is thinking 16-18st, but it could easily be 12-14st).

I’m only asking as you might not really need a burly bike (bigishness dependant).

monkeyninja
    Free Member

I don’t think any banshee fits into the bracket of a noodle. Im 14st and been riding a spitfire v2 for a year now with no noticeable flex, i ride my bike hard on drops jumps etc the only time it feels out of its depth is full on dh trails.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Sorry guys big lad is 16 stone though will not openly admit it …….. Bit too late now

I don’t want to go for a full build as I already have some descent bits that I’d prepared for he knolly. I don’t want to look back in 2 or 3 years time wishing that I’d upgraded when I had the capital/ money as things are going to get tight over the next few years. The Chilcotin and Bottlerocket are going up on the classifieds tonight when I sell I’ll look at what frames are around but both the Banshee frames look spot on. I am favoriting the Spitfire at the mo

ash.addy
    Free Member

Now committed the Chilcotin is for sale

chiefgrooveguru

Sorry I meant the Spitfire.
    Quite a lot of flex in that frame. Not that that’s a bad thing, just not great for big guys IMO.
    Small diameter tubes with no hydroforming and a few gussets. What do you expect really?

Are you talking about the original version? The v2 has pretty big tubes, hydroforming and a reputation for being stiff, especially compared to the v1.

willharrop
    Free Member

Tested the nukeproof mega am pro yesterday, have to say I found it awesome!

mmel
    Free Member

JCL – sorry but you are just plain wrong. All Banshee bIkes are renown for their stiffness these days. Read any review and it will tell you as much. I am by no means a light rider and weigh in at 15 stone kitted out and my bike is very solid.

As for the frame tubing, look at the pics! The top tube and the down tube are hydroformed and there are all sorts of reinforcements in the rear triangle with internal ribbing etc.

Have you ridden one?

JCL
    Free Member

I’m a 67kg weakling and I noticed the flex as did the other guy who rode it. I actually quite like it but I could imagine it being a bit much for a guy who weighs 16 stone!

Okay let’s just say the hydroforming is minimal or not where it should be for lateral stiffness around the BB area. If you think it’s stiff go ride a Bronson. That’s at the other (horrible) end of the spectrum and I’d much rather the Spitfire.

I’m not saying it’s a bad bike at all. I’m on it here in front from the 4 minute mark – http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y8H45JupDfo

mmel
    Free Member

Well I’ll give you that about the Bronson, I test rode before I got my Spitfire and didn’t enjoy at all ….

Paulo76
    Free Member

How’s about a pyga 120 or 140. I have the 120 with deville forks and it’s brilliant

chiefgrooveguru

I’m a 67kg weakling and I noticed the flex as did the other guy who rode it. I actually quite like it but I could imagine it being a bit much for a guy who weighs 16 stone

I just find this confusing seeing as owners and testers all seem to consider it a stiff frame and the designer himself goes on about stiffness mattering more than lightness. I do agree that heavier riders (of similar pace) need stiffer frames but could you have been noticing an issue with the cranks or rear wheel rather than the frame? Or did an overly stiff alternate frame cloud your judgment?

ash.addy
    Free Member

At least I have a bit of time to play with until I sell the other bikes/ parts I should get either a fair idea or even more confused.

chiefgrooveguru

At least I have a bit of time to play with until I sell the other bikes/ parts I should get either a fair idea or even more confused.

Keith @ Banshee was very helpful when I emailed him – I suspect he’ll give you a straight answer on Rune vs Spitfire at least.

philfive
    Free Member

Post on MTBR and Keith will give you an answer.

http://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bikes/

JCL
    Free Member

I just find this confusing seeing as owners and testers all seem to consider it a stiff frame and the designer himself goes on about stiffness mattering more than lightness. I do agree that heavier riders (of similar pace) need stiffer frames but could you have been noticing an issue with the cranks or rear wheel rather than the frame? Or did an overly stiff alternate frame cloud your judgment?

Well I checked the pivots and spoke tension and everything seemed good. It’s the only one I’ve ridden so maybe it missed heat treating!? At the time I was riding a 26″ Stumpy Evo which is hardly the last word in stiffness.

Wouldn’t put me off at all but if I was 16 stone it might.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Cheers phillfive and chief

ash.addy
    Free Member

By the way you know anyone want to but a Bottlerocket or a Knolly Chilcotin?? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘27.5 opinion please’ is closed to new replies.