Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 27.2 dropper posts on a budget-Reliable??
  • hora
    Free Member

Is it possible?

Reliable + cheep (!)

Plus which one? Dont want to buy from Taiwan ebay/direct (I.e Tmars)

porlus
    Free Member

Bit the bullet the other week after months of procrastination. Ordered the Taiwan Tmars one though. If its as easy to service as people say, then for the money I dont think I can go wrong.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve got an ICE lift v8. It’s a bit of a mixed bag. The post needs regular maintenance in winter. Think every two or three rides. But it only takes five minutes.

It also does its uppy downy thing better the more the bushings are worn in, but this wear equates to play at the saddle. The remote is simple, but easy to repair apart from cable routing. Gear cable works.

You pays your money and you takes your choice, but on the whole I think it is worth it.

deviant
    Free Member

Got the tmars one, it’s been fine and seems easy enough to take apart and put back together.

hora
    Free Member

Tmars- what about shipping+customs cost?

acidchunks

Xfusion Hilo if wiggle still have them cheap. (cheap being around 130 quid)

bland

Got a gravity dropper remote to get rid of, has an extra hole drilled in it for about 1.5″ drop too if you are interested? Great post, and in some ways I prefer it to my reverb as you know where your seat will be and servicing it is as easy as it gets, however it looks stupid in a 34.9mm cube seat post hole with 2 shims to make it fit!

slackalice
    Free Member

+1 for the simplicity of the ICE post.

petersnell
    Free Member

I’ve had my t-mars dropper for 6 months now, it’s a bit clunky but works. Just need to give it a clean and grease every so often to keep it sweet. You get a bit of side to side movement with the saddle but its not noticeable when riding. Think I paid £80 ish from British e-bay seller.

Have a x-fusion hi-lo. Functions well, the remote lever is “basic”. Have had mine for a couple of years and its been hassle free.

kimbers

gravity drppper ftw

s/h ones are great because gd will sell u any parts and service em for a few quid

mintimperial

I ran my X-Fusion HiLo through a good 12 months or so of properly shite weather last year, the anodising is now a little faded and it needed the seals cleaning last winter but it’s still working as well as it ever did. The cable it came with was bobbins so that got replaced straight off, and it’s not as slick or definite in action as the Reverb I’m currently running, but then the Reverb cost more than twice what I paid for the HiLo. It’s not a bad bit of kit at all.

I got mine from one of those German sites for a little over a hundred quid if I recall correctly.

ads678

Tmars here as well, for the money it’s fantastic. Dead easy to service and even though, like said above, it’s a bit clunky it works. Think I paid £68, delivered in about a week.

jamesoz

I bent one of the gravity dropper clones riding round Swinley within a month. Replaced it with a X Fusion HILO and it survived Scottish and welsh trail centres and the Megavalanche. I’m pretty heavy (95kg) so the cheaper post may be fine for the lighter rider, but for myself the hilo is worth the extra.

Simon

2nd hand Gravity Dropper! I recently got a Turbo Multi for £70

nigelnigel
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack, but what is the minimum insertion length on your HiLo’s? Been tempted by one for a while, but not sure If I would have enough post to get the right saddle height on my bike.

nickjb
    Free Member

Tmars- what about shipping+customs cost?

free delivery, no tax/duty. Took about 10 days.

hora
    Free Member

Which seller? Must have declared low? Sent via EMS?

mattbee

Had my Traildrop, basically the TMars one for over a year now. Admittedly not much more than 2 or 3 hours a week use but it has lasted well with just a quick degrease every few rides. Changed the bushes about a month ago as the waggle was getting a bit pronounced but its back to being fine again.
    The remote does take a bit of getting used to, along with the timing of the bum tap to raise it but the only thing I’d like would be an extra position. Just can’t bring myself to drill a hole in it myself…

deviant
    Free Member

The latest Tmars ones have 3 positions (fully down, middle and fully up), mine was brand new from a UK seller on ebay for £70-80.

I’ll look back through my history later and find the seller’s details if anybody is interested?

StuE
    Free Member

http://r53sport.com/index.php/products/ice-products
    If you don’t want to buy off ebay

Pridds

Yes please Deviant

Simon

Has anyone found an easy way to replace the cable on those ice lift/tmars posts with the 90° cable entry?

mumu
    Free Member

Here you can get it cheaper:

http://www.alltricks.com/mtb/seatposts/seatposts/ice-ice-telescopic-seatpost-272-mm-v8-lift-188-133877.html

Does anyone know if it’s easy to modify the post, so it can be used without remote?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

go cheap or go expensive for possible piece of mind. Far-east Tmars are, what, £70, or the same post rebranded to the french firm ICE, then imported, then sold by UK retailers retails for £120, so youre paying for an extended supply chain and hopefully better customer support.

If you want cheap and not far-eastern then youre going to have either buy from a european supplier at in-between price and hope they’ll offer back-up, or go used (X fusion HiLo, Gravity Dropper, KS i950 or Lev).

dannyh
    Free Member

Simon.

Not as far as I know. That particular job left me nearly puce with rage and a cable only just long enough after being frayed and cut about five times. A blob of solder or melted plastic to bind the cable end together might help.

As I said above, the pro’s of these posts do outweigh the cons. Just.

Rickos
    Free Member

rondo101
    Free Member

My hilo is pissing oil from the main seal after 3 months use on a hardtail. Just about to raise a return with Wiggle to get it replaced. If only the reverb came in 27.2; I’ve had no trouble with the one on mine or my wife’s FSes!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘27.2 dropper posts on a budget-Reliable??’ is closed to new replies.