Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 26 inch longevity
  • el_boufador

Hello, First off, I don’t really want to open the whole wheel size debate.
    I have seen a couple of deals on 26 inch frames that have got me sorely tempted. What is the current view on availability of good quality rims and tyres in the coming years?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My plan having got a new 26″ bike 9 months ago. Bike is for 4-5 years so 3-4 left (still on original rims)

Rims when supply looks bad buy 2 sets maybe 3.
    Same with tyres

Fork if needed a 650b fork should be able to be made to work.

Everything else is not wheels size dependent. A good 26″ bike with a hefty discount will still be better than a bad 650b at RRP.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I think you’ll be fine.

Tyres will still be available, maybe not the latest and greatest but good solid tyres will still be available because the molds will still be there. You can still get rims for rim brakes so rims should be able to get rims for your current wheels.

There’ll still be good second hand forks kicking about too.

BillOddie

Wheel wise, it’ll be fine.

I wouldn’t buy a bike with an 1 1/8 headset though.

darrenspink
    Free Member

You may of course be able to put 650b wheels on the frame. Bit of a google and you may find someone who has tried all ready.

wwaswas

This, unless you plan on fitting a rigid fork once the supply of decent straight steerer forks dries up.

It already seems to be unusual to see decent, reduced price straight steerer forks on CRC/Merlin/On-one/etc and I think if you’r elookign to replace with a 650B at some point in the future as 26″ forks disappear it’ll be taper or nothing.

el_boufador

Thanks all, hadn’t thought about forks but yes 650b I think will be fine. Good point about rim brakes. I guess so long as there is demand, some enterprising soul will fill the gap in the market.

twohats
    Free Member

26″ Tires and rims will be around for quite a while mainly because the vast majority of MTBers are on 26″.

ratherbeintobago

This.

miketually
    Free Member

Before 650b became the Next Big Thing in MTB wheelsizes, it was an anachronistic defunct touring wheel size. Wheels are tyres were available.

roverpig

Exactly, 650b isn’t a new invention and even when hardly anybody was using it you could still find rims and tyres, so finding spares for a wheelsize that is still used by millions is never going to be an issue.

Whatever frame you buy now (regardless of the size of the wheels) wont be compatible with some standard (forks, brakes, bottom bracket etc) in a few years time. So, why focus on the wheels?

chilled76
    Free Member

Can you still get decent 9 speed drivetrain kit?… Yes

8 Speed… not really.

I believe the same will be for 26″ wheels for at least 5 years.

accu
    Free Member

+1
    I don`t care about the wheelsize..and will stick with 26 for the next time anyway..
    but an 1 1/8 argyle fork is now more expensive than a new pike !
    so as said before..I`d be careful with 1 1/8 frames..

nickc

I believe the same will be for 26″ wheels for at least 5 years.

50p says it’ll be considerably longer than that

95% or more of all the worlds mountain bikes have 26″ wheels it would be a brave manufacturer who steps away from that market

ratherbeintobago

There are plenty of 1?” frames out there – Inbreds & Singulars spring to mind. It would put me off though.

deanfbm
    Free Member

It’s sort of verging on stoner paranoia worrying about 26 stuff, ie, made up twoddle.

You’ll have no problem at all getting good 26 wheels/forks/tyres for years to come.

However, some manufacturers may not make the latest new big thing in a 26 format in the next few years, but i think even that is erring on the side of paranoia.

PS, buy something right, don’t buy just cos it’s on sale, is what you’re looking at on sale the right thing for you?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There are plenty of 1?” frames out there – Inbreds & Singulars spring to mind. It would put me off though.

Nobody said frames were in short supply, fitting the tapered forks in them is tough.

ratherbeintobago

Aye; DT have stopped making non-tapered forks; they won’t be the last manufacturer to go down that route.

woodsman
    Free Member

Fox are still listing new 1 1/18th 26 forks.

I spoke to Mojo about this, and they initially laughed but, said perhaps in time although the majority of their forks listed are for 26. They have a huge stock of steerer units and lowers – you can still get canti-mount lowers for the first generation Fox 26 forks new! Also, they did say that 650B forks have a chassis that can be used for 26. And, of course if you have 1 1/8th then fit a Chriss king headset -nuff said!

I wouldn’t say it’s not a concern but the market will decide the future of 26, if you go with the hype as manufacturers want, all buy a new bike in 650 or 29 flavour!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes I think you’ll be fine. There are many of us riding 26 with no interest in changing. I have a 1 1/8 headset frame waiting to be built up too using spare wheels and I have lots of tyres. If the industry moves to 27.5 only they’ll lose a lot of my business as I’ll buy secondhand.

Superficial
    Free Member

Considering that all DH / DJ bikes are still 26″ and there doesn’t seem to be the huge push to change, I think 26″ will be around for a long while yet. I don’t think we’ll run out of tyres.

zippykona

Good point on the headset size. We should get our knickers in a twist over that rather than wheel size.
    Wish you could still get bolt in steerers ,would make everyone’s lives so much easier.

el_boufador

Thanks again, it has a tapered head tube so should be OK in that regard. I don’t give a monkeys about wheel size.

BillOddie

The irony that I did just that back in January is not lost on me. I don’t plan to fit suspension forks to it though.

bmike
    Free Member

It is getting difficult to get decent 26″ rim brake rims now though. I think most of what is available is old stock. But I guess cheap oem rims are still being made for cheap 26″ bikes that don’t come with disc brakes?

My guess is 26″ disc rims will still be obtainable for 10 years after 650b takes off properly. Tyres for much longer, but in a reduced range possibly.

amedias
    Free Member

It is getting difficult to get decent 26″ rim brake rims now though

It really isn’t.

Mavic are still making 117s, 317s, 717s, 719s and that’s just one manufacturer, there’s plenty out there and not just OEM.

iainc

Cotic are still selling loads of Soul’s – that says enough for me (having bought one last May 🙂 )

scottfitz
    Free Member

there is still loads more tyre choice in 26″ than 650B. Take the Maxxis MTB range for instance.

17 26″
    10 650B
    10 29″

Go for it buy a 26″ bike

BigJohn

I guess 26″ will still be going after 29″ and 650b have finished.

I recently got a lovely pair of 27″ tyres for my pub bike, but I think they were NOS. Oddly enough, the rims are bigger than 29″ rims.

soobalias
    Free Member

And, of course if you have 1 1/8th then fit a Chriss king headset -nuff said!

dont understand this, is it that the CK headset will last forever, or is there some weird CK extender type headset that allows a tapered steerer in a straight 11/8th headtube

scratch that – now ive typed it, its kinda obvious.

woodsman
    Free Member

I think you’ve got the idea anyway sooballas, but King still make and sell all the previous standards and parts including 1 inch headsets. Plus as I suggest they last, I’ve got them on all my bikes, some new (15 years) and some second hand. Prise the seals off (new ones available) and re-grease every 5 or so years or once a decade as in my case and all is good! My experience anyway.

accu
    Free Member

so true…
    they even sell a 1 1/4 headset until today..
    an old (yeti) standard from the early 90ies

darrenspink
    Free Member

Just read this again from last year…

DH are now changing over http://m.vitalmtb.com/news/news/George-Brannigan-Wins-First-Ever-National-DH-Title-on-a-650B-Bike,713

The 26in wheel, I’m afraid, is suddenly, inexplicably, going to disappear virtually overnight on production bikes of any quality. This is not conjecture. This is going to happen.

http://singletrackworld.com/blogs/2013/04/a-time-of-change/

psling
    Free Member

The thing is that most of us on STW are leisure/sport users seeking higher-end products from a range of businesses pandering to the must-have-latest-spec market.
    Meanwhile the greater percentage of people riding bicycles in the world are likely to be riding 26″ wheeled bikes, probably rim-braked. Rims, spokes, tubes & tyres in 26″ flavour will be available for years to come. The worldwide market for them is just too large to ignore. It’s only the high-end lightweight bling stuff that will likely fade away, probably in favour of 650.
    IMO 8)

darrenspink
    Free Member

We all just need to watch Halfords as an indicator. Soon as they stop selling 26″ the games up.

ratherbeintobago

The thing is that most of us on STW are leisure/sport users seeking higher-end products from a range of businesses pandering to the must-have-latest-spec market.
    Meanwhile the greater percentage of people riding bicycles in the world are likely to be riding 26″ wheeled bikes, probably rim-braked. Rims, spokes, tubes & tyres in 26″ flavour will be available for years to come. The worldwide market for them is just too large to ignore. It’s only the high-end lightweight bling stuff that will likely fade away, probably in favour of 650.
    IMO

This.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@psling

You just made me cry 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

Which one gets it?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘26 inch longevity’ is closed to new replies.