Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 24 down to 22 tooth granny on a triple possible?
  • Drillski
    Free Member

Thinking about changing the 24 tooth granny on my current triple ( 24-32-42 SLX) to lower the gearing a good chunk (not being an especally wimpy git, but ive got a 24 solo later in the year where i suspect some severe climbs and looking to take some of the sting out of them to save the legs where necessary)
    If i changed it to a 22t granny, would it beggar up the gear changes. I apreciate it may require changing the front mech to accomodate a wider range. 9 speed triples were typically 22-32-44, so is basically the same from granny to middle, or am i missing soem vital piece of info.

As a secondary question, would it be a better idea to look at one of these 40t rear cassette rings swapped for the 11t ring?

Junkyard
    Free Member

works fine I have it on my bike
    I did not change anything else when I did it either
    9 speed though
    I have a middleburn 9 speed 22 if you want to try it but it it is red

Drillski
    Free Member

hmmm a bit of research suggest the direct mount front mech i now sport has only a 18 tooth range option. so 24-42 max range.
    so its either:
    switch back to nine speed
    or add a 40t dinnerplate at the rear.

or of course, just mtfu and get on with the climbing 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Got a 22 on an LX triple. Should be fine.
    You’ll probably need to lower the front mech a touch on the seat tube to make sure the chain clears the cage properly and make sure that it wont foul the rear tyre.
    Your existing mech should be ok, my triple is 22/36/48 and a std top swing xt 8spd M739 works fine.
    *edit* just noticed you have a direct mount front mech, which may or may not be a problem. Personally I’d try the 22 with the existing mech first.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘24 down to 22 tooth granny on a triple possible?’ is closed to new replies.