Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • 2019 UCI XCO MTB… (spoiler alert)
  • Kryton57

So the short track kicked off on Friday, Kate Courtney looked very strong tactically and physically and Nino’s been off his pace through the winter.  MVDP looked very strong and punchy to win the men’s short track.

Full Womans XCO kicks of 10am Sunday all in Red Bull TV, here we go…

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m guessing at Langvad & VdP FTWs.

I’ll be watching on catch up later 🙈🙉

john_l
    Free Member

Well, this is looking interesting!

Kryton57

It certainly is.  I’m thinking theres going to be some surprises in the Mens race also.

Kuco

Annie Last 🙁

qwerty
    Free Member

Isla Short in 22nd is good progress for her.

weeksy

That turned into a slip slop fest!

dawson

Cracking race for MvdP to fight his way back. I suspect that Nino went out hard to force MvdP to blow up, but in the end it backfired as Nino came off worse.

Kryton57

It’s was a great race, nice to see it mixed up a bit.  Schurter confirms you thoughts on Instagram Dawson, and also adds he couldn’t, stay with the pace after he’d been passed.  A shame that Lars fell, I wonder if he’s the new Nino, because whatever Scott did to train him and Courtney has raised their game a fair bit.

So, is it long live the king…  or will Nino reign in next weeks more technical terrain?

weeksy

They’re most impressive aren’t they ! LOL

MvdP shocked me again by his comeback… I’m sitting there thinking “nah, he’s not got it today….” but he pulled it back most impressively with great pacing.

Course seemed a lot better than the Sprint layout anyway. But it does turn into a crapfest when it rains there LOL.

Neff is a bit tasty on the downhill stuff LOL… i bet she’d trounce the lot of us on a downhill section !

jb89
    Free Member

@weeksy There’s some interesting videos on Red Bull tv – season summary/preview type things – that look at this. She’s head and shoulders above the others on the dh, gains so much time!

Trimix
    Free Member

Brilliant racing.

I was left a bit opened mouthed after watching the short track once I worked out their avarage speed.

The men were lapping the short course in just over 2 mins, so if my maths are correct, thats over 55km/h per hour right !

I tired to ride my road bike – on the road – on a flat section, as fast as I could. For a short period of time I saw just over 40km/h. How they manage that sort of speed, for 20 mins, off road up hills and on fat tyres is pretty impressive.

What sort of FTP do they have, as the short track is not techy, their speed must be due to power more than skill.

qwerty
    Free Member

Zone entered:

Pro hands free snot rocket

weeksy

The men were lapping the short course in just over 2 mins, so if my maths are correct, thats over 55km/h per hour right !

Nah, not having that for a second. At the TDF they’re happy doing that for a shortish TT on the road… No chance on the trails, even nicely groomed ones like the short circuit.

I’d love to be proven wrong though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

What sort of FTP do they have, as the short track is not techy, their speed must be due to power more than skill.

Well over 400W I’d say, considering MvdP was up over 800W peaking at something like 1400W when he won Amstel Gold and Sam Gaze reportedly puts out the most wattage on the UCI MTB circuit so he must be hitting mega watts, considering he’s frankly massive for a pro cyclist at 6’2″ and 85kg

mos

The article below from a couple of years ago says 400W, i’d bet its higher now.

The Natural: Mathieu Van der Poel is the most talented bike racer on the planet

Jamze

Haven’t watch racing for years – really enjoyed this weekend’s XCC/XCO.

Nah, not having that for a second. At the TDF they’re happy doing that for a shortish TT on the road… No chance on the trails, even nicely groomed ones like the short circuit.

I’d love to be proven wrong though.

AFAIK an XCC course is 2km. Van Der Poel did 9 laps, his time was 20:28. Working it out in my head that’s an average speed over 50km/h – 30mph?? Can that be right? Amazing if so.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Victor Koretzky did 19.1mph. With watts for stat nerds:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2375138000/analysis

Which is frankly, nuts

Jamze

AFAIK an XCC course is 2km.

Not the case then looking at those Strava stats. Just over a km per lap, explains the superhuman average speed I worked out 🙂 Still mind-boggling though.

Kuco

Impressed with Malene Degn getting a top 10 in her first Elite race.

paton
    Free Member

Mathieu van der Poel winning 2018 Dutch national road race championship in style

Kryton57

Nino’s posted some numbers on Insta, qualified by it being wet and slippery:

Average NP: 368w

Start Loop NP: 461w

Average NP on the long climb: 421w

Nino’s weight @ 68kg

This means he raced with an average NP of 5.4w/KG!

steve_b77
    Free Member

How the chuffin’ hell do you take a hand off your bars and shove someone out of the way mid-sprint?!?!?!?!

That’s some serious wattage from Nino, given that he didn’t win MVDP must be approaching 6W/KG as their handling skills are pretty much on a par

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just watched the short track, MVDP seems to do what he wants when he wants, should be an excellent season. It’ll be good when Gaze is back for a power shoot out

scaredypants

Odd race, that “main” XCO (men & women) – venue looks tame but then somebody greased it while nobody was looking ! The fall on the boardwalk by one of the women was nasty.
    Not sure it does much for predicting the season’s outcome.

My guess is they might drop the venue or move to mid-summer as I think it was much the same last year, wasn’t it ?

weeksy

It was consderably worse last year yes. They did make it a lot ‘better’ in some ways, but removed masses of character in the process. I’d certainly think about moving the date, but then again there’s no reason in May it has to be soaked, it’s not like we’ve had much rain in the UK/Europe mostly.. but certain bits, wrong time…. yup, mud-fest.

Kuco

That was an exciting womens race.

Jamze

It was. Courtney v. impressive this year so far. Coverage seems to be missing key points in the race? Courtney flatting early on, then Tauber’s mechanicals from the lead on the last lap (how do you miss that?)

Kuco

Gutted for Anne Tauber she was going so well.

Jamze

Agreed. Was building up to a tense finish – Tauber off her bike and running up that elite climb, Courtney catching but tiring…

Kuco

WTF where the racing gone?

Jamze

WTF where the racing gone?

What the RBTV stream? Working here.

Kuco

Mine changed to some freeride film, had to close the app and re-launch it.

qwerty
    Free Member

Yesssssssssssss.

Kuco

That some pace they kept up for 7 laps.

dawson

Boom! Get in!

snotrag

The way VDP gapped Nino on that last lap was incredible!

dovebiker

Booom – MVdP took 15 seconds out of Schurter on that last climb. Even if he waiting for the sprint, Schurter couldn’t really expect a different outcome.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘2019 UCI XCO MTB… (spoiler alert)’ is closed to new replies.