• This topic has 79 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • 2019 Loan Charge
  • rugbydick

Saw this in the Guardian today
    Thousands of workers hit with massive tax avoidance bills

Sounds pretty horrendous that the government can go back 20 years and tax things that were apparently legal at the time.
    Plenty of contractors on here who may be caught by this? Sounds like many of them won’t even be aware yet.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I feel a little bit for people affected, but it one of those things that was always sailing very, very close to the wind (I worked for a time for an accountacy firm that advised IT consultants and the like both with and without the benefit of an umbrella co). Most were paid very hansomly, far beyond what IT Pros would get paid PAYE (I work in the IT industry now) and we’re generally very smug about it.

Ultimately they could have accepted a slightly lower income and avoided the risk or put aside the savings in case HMRC ever came calling, but ‘everyone was at it’.

nealglover
    Free Member

Did any of the people who are getting the bills for repayment now honestly think that there was nothing dodgy about getting their salary paid through a convoluted scheme without paying any tax ?

rene59
    Free Member

I don’t believe for a minute that the majority of people entering into these schemes weren’t aware of what the aim of them were, therefore I have limited sympathy.

However, this quote here is spot on.

Why, he argues, is HMRC not going after the promoters of the schemes, many of which made millions, but have subsequently dissolved their companies?

Flaperon

Was wondering if I’d be in a minority with my views but I agree with P-Jay and nealgover. It must have been obvious at the time that what they were doing was exceptionally dodgy. For the most part I tend to see tax avoidance* as pretty much equivalent to tax evasion.

It must be morally obvious that to duck out of paying your fair share back into society in order to take home a higher income is wrong, not least of all because anyone on PAYE is directly subsidising it.

The only thing that makes me a bit uncomfortable is the suspicion that HMRC has targeted contractors because it’s too difficult, politically, to go after Amazon/Google/Apple etc.

* I’d get rid of ISAs too. And the tax benefits on pension contributions.

xora

Isn’t this the same thing that brought down Rangers FC?

julians
    Free Member

tricky one. I’m sure the vast majority of the people caught by this were advised to go down this route by people that were properly qualified and well regarded (qualified accountants, tax advisors etc), but ultimately the responsibility lies with the person that benefitted from reduced tax . The beneficiary should have recourse against the person/organisation that advised them to go this route, but I think making it stick will be tough (and expensive), I’m sure the advisors have the small print covered. I’d expect to see some accountants/advisors get damaged by this.

IMO – its not right that the revenue can go back 20 years on this though, 7 years should be the max. If the people who chose to use these ‘vehicles’ were prudent they would have held 7 years worth of tax back, just in case HMRC retrospectively decided that these were illegal. BUt even those that did this, are now going to get stung for taxes and penalties over a much longer period than is normally allowed.

HMRC should also go after the promotors, and those running the schemes, but thats not as easy as going after the little guy.

jate
    Free Member

To be clear, it has never been illegal to be “paid” in the form of loans and still isn’t. The issue is how, if at all, such loans should be taxed. Until relatively recently HMRC, despite being fully aware that contractors were being “paid” in this way, did not seek to levy tax and indeed it was not clear that there was a liability under existing legislation. As a result both the organisers of these schemes and contractors continued under the assumption that whilst at some point legislative changes might clarify the position, this clarification would not apply to past years.
    As a long standing contractor I always felt that this was an overly optimistic stance to take and never got involved in any such schemes, irrespective any “moral” duty I might feel to pay the right amount of tax, whatever that might mean.
    We now have a degree of legislative clarity (albeit only a degree tbh) and the facet that is causing anger, including among a number of MPs, is that not only is the legislation arguably retrospective (it certainly applies to years that had been assumed to be settled), it is potentially applying to loans made up to 20 years ago. How many of us would be confident of being able to convince HMRC that we have paid exactly the “right” amount of tax for the past 20 years, and produce documentation to back it up? In addition, the scheme organisers, upon whom in many cases the liability falls initially, have long since disappeared with their commissions, leaving contractors to pick up the tab.
    No-one emerges particularly well from this entire debacle. Not HNMRC who turned a blind eye to these schemes for many years but are now making up for their relaxed attitude with a pretty draconian approach. Not the contractors who in the main were perfectly well aware of the low level of tax they were paying. And not the scheme organisers who have happily taken commissions for many a year, only to do a disappearing act when the proverbial has hit the fan.

Ewan
    Free Member

Am I correct that this scheme worked like this:

– Funds from work get payed to an employee benefit trust
    – Trust then ‘loans’ the money to the employee
    – Employee never pays back the loan
    – Profit.

And now HMRC have basically said, that’s taking the piss, please pay back the loan, or we’ll assume it was actually a form of remuneration and tax it. And since the loan is still in theory current (as it’s never going to be paid back), it’s not retrospective?

Assuming that’s the case, I can’t see how anyone would think that was anything other than massively taking the piss? No matter what a dodgy accountant told them.

I can see how this could cause massive difficulties for families, but at the same time, depriving the country of that tax means that schools weren’t funded and hospitals had longer waiting lists.

kelvin

Well… they could choose to pay back the “loans” instead to the body they “borrowed” from… and then they could get a pay out from that body… dividends, deferred wages… whatever they want. If they choose to do so in one year… I suspect their tax bill will be much higher.

I sympathise that such arrangements organised for tax issues are also used by big businesses, and are harder to sort… (companies paying huge fees to “separate” offshore companies, that are wholly owned by the same group, for use of brand assets or for rent on properties are the most used examples)… but the fact it is individuals rather then multinational companies that have done this doesn’t mean it can be ignored, and doesn’t mean that the rest of us should pay the tax that they have sought not to pay.

I had the chance to use such a scheme way back in time… I said no… and all these individuals could have as well.

mefty
    Free Member

A few points:

(1) It is not really a retrospective change, the schemes involved money being paid into a vehicle and then those funds being lent to the taxpayer. Those loans never went away legally, although because many had their hands on the money they didn’t worry about them. They were only ever deferral schemes.

(2) HMRC haven’t been sitting on them, they have fought cases, the Rangers case being notable, and also introduced legislation over a series of Finance Acts.

(3) Many people unwittingly enter these schemes on the false assumption that they are accepted by HMRC and are willing to enter into them because everyone else is doing them without taking independent advice. This was very much the case with the film schemes too. It isn’t only the ignorant, I know plenty of financially sophisticated people who have misunderstood what they were getting into.

EDIT: Ewan, you posted while I was writing, but your analysis in the first para is correct in my view.

martinhutch

Burned by suggestions that it is chasing low-income locum nurses and social workers, HMRC analysed the occupations of the people sent charge notices. “We estimate that of the 50,000 people affected, 3% are nurses and less than 2% are social workers.”

So, thousands then!

There will be quite a few who may not have realised what they were signing up for, but presumably should have noticed that they did not appear to be paying tax.

On another note, HMRC have just refunded us three years worth of fines we got handed for being blissfully unaware of the child benefit high earners clawback, so the poor souls have got to make that up from somewhere.

Ewan
    Free Member

Hmmm. Seems shady as hell.

rugbydick

From doing some reading on it, wasn’t the Rangers decision that the loans were all legal and not taxable, but the employers should have paid tax when the funds went into the trust?

It looks like the promoters took healthy fees from these arrangements (Doug Barrowman’s name keeps popping up – and he’s a billionaire getting married to Baroness Mone, the underwear tycoon)

I’m also not sure how you can argue that this is not retrospective.
    If the transactions happened in the past (loans being paid to individuals) when no tax was due at the time as Jate says, but then the government have introduced a new tax to make them taxable now – that’s sounds like retrospection to me.

Ewan
    Free Member

I assume the counter argument is that loans are meant to be repaid – since HMRC gave them three years to pay them back (and these people haven’t) it’s now clear that the loan is not in fact a loan, it’s a payment, so tax needs to be paid.

rugbydick

But does the fact that it’s not been paid off yet mean that it’s not a loan?
    I’ve got a mortgage on my house. If the bank asked for all of that to be paid off in 3 years I wouldn’t be able to.

matt_outandabout

I too am torn, but fall into the ‘on balance, you were avoiding tax’ view.

Back in the day we were all advised to do this – I nearly did, but chose not to. I paid income tax, on all my earnings. It was tough at the time, but needed doing.

My issue is the HMRC were not more active in warning lots of folk that these were only ever a loan scheme. I’ve also an issue with the companies that promoted and sold these schemes and umbrella companies.

I’m also not understanding folk who earned many, many extra thousands of pounds, clearly enjoyed spending the additional money, and now claim ‘poverty’ after three years to sort out repayment.

Crap situation – but tax should be paid.

matt_outandabout

If the bank asked for all of that to be paid off in 3 years I wouldn’t be able to.

No, but you would have three years to find another loan, sell the house or other solution. I think the point others have made on this thread is that those with the big bills have had time to find a solution to repaying loans.

mefty
    Free Member

They deem a distribution to take place from the trust equal to the outstanding loan

From doing some reading on it, wasn’t the Rangers decision that the loans were all legal and not taxable, but the employers should have paid tax when the funds went into the trust

They were aiming to attack the employers using these schemes at time so this was a good result. There is no question of the loans not being legal and indeed the receipt of a loan is generally not a taxable event. However, there are certain circumstances when the tax law deems loans to be disguised remuneration, this is especially the case where the individual is in “control” of the lender. The law changed a few years ago to say loans from these vehciles would in future be treated as disguised remuneration, if they had been repaid, no charge would arise, hence it ain’t retrospective.

Ewan
    Free Member

But does the fact that it’s not been paid off yet mean that it’s not a loan?

Does if you never intend to repay it. To be honest, i’d not have a massive issue if this was held as a charge on their estate for when they die – subject to deprivation of assets rules like people with assets who need long term care. That seems about as much as they could hope for given at some point they must have wondered why they weren’t paying tax but everyone else was…

convert

The dude with a £300000 bill but only £100000 assets to his name…..so he avoided paying £300000 worth of tax therefore presumably getting paid a reasonable legitimate wage too and he still has only managed to accrue £100000 of assets by the age of 54.

He has either just had is financial nuts chopped off in a divorce, had a pretty amazeballs lifetime of holidays or has an impressive coke and hookers habit (or all 3).

Despite having done it in reasonable faith and under advice I think I’m still in the hard lines camp. If you had gone years without paying your way surely your moral compass would be twitching that this was not right.

As an aside I had an enlightening evening with a 3 generational family in the building trade the other week. Genuinely lovely people despite being a bit brexity. Started to feel very uncomfortable when conversationed got into ‘honest british family that has always paid its way’ but were very open and honest about the amount of cash flowing through the system. Youngest daughter works for a materials supplier friend and is paid a nominal peppercorn PAYE wage but every month meets her boss in the local cafe and is given her real wage cash in a brown envelope. They have grown up and lived in this environment and genuinely don’t see that this is wrong or unusual. Or that it doesn’t sit well with their UKIPy views that foreign workers are a burden on the state.

I think it all highlights my naive middle class PAYE employed status understanding of what is normal.

mefty
    Free Member

My issue is the HMRC were not more active in warning lots of folk that these were only ever a loan scheme.

It is not their job, if you are interested in reducing your tax bill, it is not unreasonable for society to expect you to pay for your own advice.

matt_outandabout

I think it all highlights my naive middle class PAYE employed status understanding of what is normal

No, I think it highlights a number of selfish people who are happy to rip off our country when it suits them – in cash, in morals and future opportunity.

kelvin

There will be quite a few who may not have realised what they were signing up for, but presumably should have noticed that they did not appear to be paying tax.

This. The “I thought I’d found a perfectly legal way not to pay” is a poor approach to tax on your earnings… and any advice that promotes it should always raise alarm bells.

Or that it doesn’t sit well with their UKIPy views that foreign workers are a burden on the state.

Probably the types that blame the EU for the financial state of the governments of Southern European countries … (nothing to do with the ubiquity of the cash in hand tax dodging economy, no sir).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The dude with a £300000 bill but only £100000 assets to his name…..so he avoided paying £300000 worth of tax therefore presumably getting paid a reasonable legitimate wage too and he still has only managed to accrue £100000 of assets by the age of 54.

He has either just had is financial nuts chopped off in a divorce, had a pretty amazeballs lifetime of holidays or has an impressive coke and hookers habit (or all 3).

I think he would be getting zero sympathy if he revealed how much tax he had paid over the period and what he was taking home. If he was that good at shifting his income around there is a chance he managed to move some of it elsewhere too before calculating his assets.

How far they can go back is a worry for some people but mostly due to the fact that most of them knew it was a way to pay less tax.

fossy

It’s always been a dodge – I was contracting with a company for a while and my ‘agency’ wanted us to join the scheme – I refused (I’m an accountant). It is a dodge, but it was perfectly acceptable.

To go back 20 years is bad, but these people possibly should have paid all this tax.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

With a hint of sympathy I can see how someone working for an agency could be hoodwinked.

Employee: do I need to pay tax and NI? Should be about 30%?

Agency: No you pay us a fee of xx% which includes any tax (or none) to handle all that, just sign this.

Hmrc 20 years later : you owe us 30%, never mind that you paid xx% to the agency.

Ignorance is no defence, and I suspect that those NHS examples are more at the go and consultant level trying to hide four figure day rates rather than agency nurses just scraping by (although some might be and those have my sympathies).

dovebiker

Little sympathy here – it was never a ‘legal’ arrangement plus its the fact that the loans are still outstanding that makes them eligible for tax. But they should also be going after the people who facilitated the arrangements too

rugbydick

One of the main reasons that this got my interest was the clearly retrospective nature of it – and that if this goes through, what next?
    I’m a Ltd co contractor and there are rumours that some form of retrospective IR35 law is next.

The loan arrangements were apparently legal at the time, but the government appear to want a second bite of the cherry. What’s to stop the government retrospectively declaring that I’m inside IR35, when I’ve assessed myself to be outside of it?

Ewan
    Free Member

It’s not retrospective tho is it? Three years ago they said ‘we don’t believe those were really loans, but feel free to pay them back or get a new loan and then we’ll believe you’. Those people that didn’t have effectively proved they werent loans so now need to pay tax.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m a Ltd co contractor and there are rumours that some form of retrospective IR35 law is next.

Would you pass the old IR35 quiz that was going about? Or are you just doing it as a disguised employee?
    Rechecking the rules or investigating people doesn’t always make it retrospective. A lax application of the rules doesn’t mean it should stand.

rugbydick

It’s not retrospective tho is it? Three years ago they said ‘we don’t believe those were really loans, but feel free to pay them back or get a new loan and then we’ll believe you’.

So HMRC saying “we don’t believe you” 3 years ago makes it not retrospective?
    Surely if the transaction (loan disbursment) happened in the past and wasn’t taxable at the time (as I understand from jate’s comment above), but a new law is then made which makes that historical transaction now subject to tax – that’s got to be retrospective!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think it all highlights my naive middle class PAYE employed status understanding of what is normal.

Indeed. You have a point. It’s only getting towards the end of February and I’ve already had two clients ask me to “knock a bit off if I pay cash.” I’ve explained to each of them that I’d prefer to invoice by email and have them pay by bank transfer (please!). And I’m the one kinda apologising!

Of course, what I’d like to say is, “Oh right, I see…so if you pay me cash, you expect me not to declare the income, save myself 20-25% tax and pass the saving on to you, is that it? So, yeah fine, I’ll evade tax just so you can save a few hundred quid or so on your invoice. And if Mr. HMRC ever finds out, you’ll split the difference with me won’t you…plus interest?”

So, yeah, it appears that middle class PAYE workers don’t get what is normal sometimes.

(Yeah, apologies, slightly outside of the thread topic…and I haven’t a great deal of sympathy for those who’ve been caught out – you can’t go whistling through life earning a shitload without paying a penny in tax and think that somehow it’s all ok. 20 years though! That’s harsh!)

mefty
    Free Member

There is a fundamental difference between the two scenarios. In your case you have been paid in a certain way and paid tax accordingly, but there are no outstanding financial arrangements, you have received all the money and paid tax on it according to your understanding. Broadly, HMRC can investigate you and decide your understanding is incorrect and go back four years, but that’s it. You do have appeal rights etc.

These schemes aren’t complete, because there is still a trust with an asset, the loan to the individual, until that is unwound it is open to HMRC (with the support of Parliament) to change the way they tax such arrangements on a current basis, which is what they have decided to do three years ago with effect from this April.

cookeaa

I’ve worked with a number of contractors over the last twenty odd years. TBH most operate as Ltd companies and seem to try and keep things relatively straightforward to avoid getting into hot water with HMRC, but there’s always a few who seem a bit keener on “tax efficient” arrangements.

You know the sort, always looking for a wheeze to get round bits of IR35, apparently paid under £12k with an awful lot of “company assets” and “expenses”, the missus and kids and the cat are on the board of directors somehow this means that they live a relatively luxurious life style but the old trade off of no staff benefits or employment security is still there… But I can’t think of many who would be comfortable with one of these EBT loan arrangements. Feels like outright evasion rather than sitting in that grey area of “avoidance” and they have had a bit of a heads up too TBF…

If he’s been at it for the full 20 years that’s ‘only’ £15k’s worth of tax a year it soons builds up…

I’d guess the missing 2/3rds of his unpaid tax, have long ago been spent on family holidays, car payments and if he’s at all sensible overpaying the mortgage, and I’d not be shocked if the house was in the wife’s name only to try and put it beyond the tax man’s reach…

The fact that he still has £100k worth of assets that can be directly tied to him is sort of surprising…

matt_outandabout

that’s ‘only’ £15k’s worth of tax a year

So he earned £50-60k a year for 20 years.

As you say, more amazing he still has anything in his name. I think he spent last three years putting the house and Audi in the dogs name, while maxing pension pot.

cookeaa

So he earned £50-60k a year for 20 years.

It’s all guesstimation of course and ignores any kind of variations but, he would potentially been taking home mid to high £60k’s (avg) rather than the mid £40k’s someone on PAYE would have been taking home… Of course shorten the period and the annual take home (and corresponding tax dodged) increases…

I’m sure if you gave an accountant his unpaid tax bill and the number of years they’d be able to work back to his actual take home far more accurately.

Many of the contractors I know keep some money saved (in their business’s accounts) to pay corporation tax, other bills and for just such situations as this where they are liable for an unforseen cost that just has to be stumped up for… It’s not really a coke ‘n’ hookers lifestyle.

I understand and accept that it makes sense for many people to run their financial life as a business, most are aware of the compromises and understand that HMRC will always seek to recover whatever is due. As such what they can actually do with “their” money is constrained by a different set of rules. Let’s be honest paying yourself an untaxed wage via a “loan” that will forever remain un-repaid is very clearly taking the piss…

matt_outandabout

It’s not really a coke ‘n’ hookers lifestyle.

Although £50-60k+ is three times the average UK salary in 1999.

I’d also wager the same folk had thier wife on the books as admin, any meal out as a family go through the books etc.

That big, untaxed, salary will have been spent on a nice house, car and holiday. They’ve more than enjoyed a lifestyle that many wouldn’t have done, partly by not paying tax.

nealglover
    Free Member

So HMRC saying “we don’t believe you” 3 years ago makes it not retrospective?
    Surely if the transaction (loan disbursment) happened in the past and wasn’t taxable at the time (as I understand from jate’s comment above), but a new law is then made which makes that historical transaction now subject to tax – that’s got to be retrospective!

Not really.
    The loans were made in the past, and loans are not taxable as income (they still aren’t)

The fact that these were never actually loans (they were salary) means that they were always taxable.
    It’s just that as the “loans” are still active, and were never paid off, means that the money paid is proved to be salary and not a loan and is taxable.

If it was paid off, like a genuine loan would be, then the tax issue goes away.

cookeaa

The fact that these were never actually loans (they were salary) means that they were always taxable.
    It’s just that as the “loans” are still active, and were never paid off, means that the money paid is proved to be salary and not a loan and is taxable.

If it was paid off, like a genuine loan would be, then the tax issue goes away.

I assume also that the companys making the unpaid loans can’t just write off these unpaid “loans” as losses, at least not without it being made clear that it should be recognised as income for the recipients during that period…

The other question has to be around credit rating, surely someone with (potentially) upwards of £1m worth of unpaid loan debt, who has less than 10% of the value of those loans in assets and is (I’d assume) approaching retirement age is basically knackered for obtaining anymore credit? Or have these loans not been appropriately reported to the relevant credit vetting agencies either?

TBH being asked for owed income tax is probably being let off easy, if you had a “controlling interest” in a loan company that then loaned you money without any obligation to repay could that be considered a fraudulent act?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘2019 Loan Charge’ is closed to new replies.