• This topic has 503 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by matts.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 504 total)
  • 2017 TT'ing thread
  • scaredypants

20:36 on the f11/10 on Saturday

Still 40w down on power (288 on Saturday

Wow – are you tiny, or very aerodynamic (or both) ?
    I needed 311w for a 24.39 the other day. Different courses but even so that’s quite startling.

Garry_Lager

scaredypants – Member

20:36 on the f11/10 on Saturday

Still 40w down on power (288 on Saturday

I needed 311w for a 24.39 the other day. Different courses but even so that’s quite startling. I’m similar at 325-350 for long 24s – I’d say my position is definitely unoptimised, but the basics of it are OK.
    I’m wondering if it’s the consistency of power delivery that’s an issue – mine’s a bit spikey. Like if you were hitting 325 on the nose throughout that’s got to be better then oscillating +/- 50 watts around a 325 average, esp if you’re large and constantly accelerating / decelerating some weight.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I needed 311w for a 24.39 the other day. Different courses but even so that’s quite startling.

A feeble 270W got me 24:27 at Weston (flat, exposed airfield circuit which is a slow course according to those who know) on a road bike last week. My ‘tester’club mates are bullying me to buy a TT bike and join the gang.

JB your time was very similar to the BMCC boys who rode the same event so you’ll have some fun competition if/when you join!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Obviously depends on aero and weight, and accuracy of your PM! There’a a thread on TTF called “what power for a 19” or something like that, and there’s a huge range of responses.

I’m wondering if it’s the consistency of power delivery that’s an issue

Yes, also about how you ride the course. You can do a very even power delivery but that’s usually not the best way to maintain speed. It’s the time on the clock that’s important not hitting some avg power target 🙂

scaredypants

PM accuracy – fair comment, and TBF I don’t really ride to power anyway (just got the meter – powerpod, and haven’t really got into it though I have had a teething problem or two as well and need to work out what to do)

Performance-wise I’ve mostly looked at the winner’s time for the TTs I’ve done & compared myself to those. I was better the second time (12% down in a bigger field) than the first (14%) so I’m going with that as an objective measure 😉

hjghg5
    Free Member

Crap night last night. The aim was to use it as a kit test for the new tub on my disc (first one I’ve ever fitted).

Got there nice and early, took 50mm wheel off and put the disc on. Faffed. Got onto the bike to ride to sign on and realised there was a problem with the drivetrain. Took disc off and put it back in again in case I’d done it wrong. Put 50mm wheel back on to check that was fine. It was. Tried the disc again, still not working. Decided to go with 50mm.

Then noticed that during all the wheel changes I’d knocked the brakes out of alignment and it needed tightening back up again to stay in the right position. Silly aero frame with hidden away bolt meant I needed to take the wheel off (again!) Then I realised that the toolkit didn’t have anything that would get into the gap properly and the set of Allen keys with rounded heads were at home.

Swore a lot.

Decided to dismantle a part broken multitool I had lying around but although the Allen key fitted in the gap once the body was removed it didn’t give me anything to hold on to to turn it.

Pretty much gave up on riding until with about 10 minutes to go I got it tight enough to hopefully stay in position and be rideable. Rushed to sign on but being so late meant I was off pretty much last and had no real warm up.

And of course the first bump I got knocked the brake back out of alignment and it rubbed for the rest of the race. I put out more power than I did last time I did that (15 mile) course and went 5 minutes slower…

Fingers crossed it’s fixed for tomorrow – the brake is now tightened again and the problem with the cassette seemed to be the lockring so we’ve put a new one on.

jb89
    Free Member

Average size, maybe a little fat, but the F11/10 has a nice downhill so it’s not a bad thing! 😛 Not massively aero – old bike and 30mm wheels, though hopefully position wise not too bad!

The same power got 22:53 on the course CrashTestMonkey speaks of for reference.

JB your time was very similar to the BMCC boys who rode the same event so you’ll have some fun competition if/when you join!

I noticed that! A good target! 😀

@MrBlobby – See you tomorrow if the startsheet is correct?!

mrblobby
    Free Member

@MrBlobby – See you tomorrow if the startsheet is correct?!

Yes I’m in. Only second race of the season and coming down with the kids cold so not expecting much (getting excuses in early!) but it’s a good event and part of a team so I’ll be there. Strong team DPCC have this year.

TiRed

Anyone else entered tonight’s mid-summer a3crg 25 at Longmoor? This will be my first “open” TT, having placed well in club events, I though I’d try some. Will be on the Shorter with lower position. It’s a bit of a milestone, because I have foregone a Wednesday BC E1234 Vets circuit race at Hillingdon!

jb89
    Free Member

Yes I’m in. Only second race of the season and coming down with the kids cold so not expecting much (getting excuses in early!) but it’s a good event and part of a team so I’ll be there. Strong team DPCC have this year.

I was dropped until the Ladies pulled out and we got a 2nd team!

Anyone else entered tonight’s mid-summer a3crg 25 at Longmoor?

No, but I might enter the next Weds 25 in a few weeks…165mile round trip from work – there – home, but it’s the only opportunity I’ve got to get a fast 25 in this season! Let us know how it goes!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Tomorrrow? Are you racing the Ben Owen?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes. You there too TSY?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yep, with FUCT. Defending champions 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Munqe Chick is racing Ben Owen with a few other BMCC lady TT noobs, I’m not racing but may come along with cowbell and decent camera to support/heckle as appropriate.

TiRed

Dreadful journey. Arrived late so no warm up, no disc wheel, no velotoze, no powermete, begged a late start. Nice conditions if you you warn 30C. Nice course, great road surface, some drags, lots of traffic. Some morons captured on my Fly6.

Rode on heart rate for 53:21. Five minutes faster than previous PB and top third overall, but rejected from the VTTA nationas 🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

Saw that on your strava TiRed. Worth of kudos 🙂

Looks like I’m going to DNS the Ben Owen. Bloody annoying letting a team down 😡

Jamz
    Free Member

Dreadful journey. Arrived late so no warm up, no disc wheel, no velotoze, no powermete, begged a late start. Nice conditions if you you warn 30C. Nice course, great road surface, some drags, lots of traffic. Some morons captured on my Fly6.

Rode on heart rate for 53:21. Five minutes faster than previous PB and top third overall, but rejected from the VTTA nationas

In the nicest possible way…….. you do realise that racing to HR is not a good approach to take? It’s probably even a bad approach to take on a hot day like that. You’d be much better of just learning to pace by feel. You usually never know what your legs are going to be capable of until it happens. But it aint gonna happen if you’re looking down at your garmin and thinking “oh shit my heart rate’s hitting 170bpm, better back off” !!

TiRed

To be honest, I had little choice ;-). And normally when I look at HR, it’s to note that it isn’t high enough! Last night was a good example. Average was a pretty even 170, but I could have gone higher if I’d pushed more. I use zone not absolute, normally. In TTs, I’ve never had the “need to back off” signal, obviously I’m a slacker 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ben Owen was good last night, first ever road TT on a road bike with no aero bars, knobby socks or helmet just me and the bike. Our ladies team came 3rd turns out we missed 2nd by 4 seconds dam it 4 seconds!!!! Fun evening out, now to get a TT bike and a human cannonball style helmet 🙂

jb89
    Free Member

22:53 for me, course PB which I was happy about with tired legs!

DPCC 1 came 2nd by 14 seconds…would have won if I hadn’t been dropped to the 2nd team…but I won’t point that out! 😛 😀

Munqe-chick
    Ben Owen was good last night, first ever road TT on a road bike with no aero bars, knobby socks or helmet just me and the bike. Our ladies team came 3rd turns out we missed 2nd by 4 seconds dam it 4 seconds!!!! Fun evening out, now to get a TT bike and a human cannonball style helmet

Great ride! For comparison, my PB is almost 3.5 mins quicker than last night and WOTG, so get onto other courses and you’ll be flying! 😀

jb89
    Free Member

2.5 mins that should have said!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Your PB isn’t on WOTG is it?

I did a 22:13 last night. We came first by 14 secs 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

I don’t think WOTG is that quick. I’d guess F11/10 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Agreed and rereading.. he’s saying his PB is 2.5 min quicker than WOTG time.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m sure WOTG isn’t that quick but I can’t get that enthused by riding down a dual carriageway with lorries thundering past at 0700! 😉

4 up at Weston tomorrow night… eek in a mixed team going to get my head smashed in!

jb89
    Free Member

Yep, PB on the f11 – although not on Saturday, had to stop at the first turn and then follow a tractor with 2 trailers the whole way round! Gave up a little after that, then got held up at the 2nd turn too! Came home in 21:07, so probably similar to last week given 30s or so lost at the turns.

Hemel 25 on the Sunday was a bit better, 2 minute course PB for 11th. Not brilliant, but not too bad.

Pretty sure my PM is under reading, I don’t think I would lose 50w compared to road bike, and comparing times on Sunday, it would make me super aero. Whilst this would be great, and I think my position is decent enough, there’s no way people with decent bikes and wheels are that much less aero than me with old frame, ext. cabling and 30mm wheels.

Theory is that the sensor isn’t positioned properly and it’s under reading cadence – I guess 3 or 4 rpm can make a difference for a given torque! I’ll swap back on to my road bike to make sure it’s not the PM then adjust TT sensor to suit.

Got into the PXXX 50 this coming Sunday, very early start! 😐

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

See you there.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

The midweek interclub TT’s that I often do changed course last night to a hilly one that they hold every year. Nearly 1100ft over 17.2 miles. Happy with my time of 42:34 coming 5th. Especially seen as those above me consisted of a elite rr, a lad who’s done a 18:32 10, someone who competed at the Nationals last week at the IOM and a up and coming young lad on a development race team 😯 (not to mention I’m giving away 20years on most of them :mrgreen:) Interestingly I did this last year (all be it a shortened course due to roadworks) on the supersix roadbike with clip-ons and there wasn’t a massive difference (around 16seconds) although last year I did it using 330w, this year only 315w. Theres a roadbike only TT near to where I live on Thursday that I’m tempted to do but I’ve got my first “big” TT on Sunday, a 100 near Congleton so unsure if I shoud give Thursdays race a miss and start tapering for Sunday.

matts
    Free Member

What’s your TSB at the moment? I would say that Wed-Sun is too long to go without any threshold level efforts before an Event. You should be keeping the intensity, but lowering the volume.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

matts – Member
    What’s your TSB at the moment? I would say that Wed-Sun is too long to go without any threshold level efforts before an Event. You should be keeping the intensity, but lowering the volume.

Just uploaded yesterday’s ride into golden cheetah and my TSB is actually +7.5 atm. With that reading I’ll probably enter that TT on Thursday. It’ll be a 22-23min threshold effort so I think it’ll tie in nicely, enough to get the heart pumping but not give me to much fatigue?
    I’ll also do a 1+1/2 hr mainly z2 ride/bike check with some 1min openers thrown in on the Saturday.

mrblobby
    Free Member

This season is eclipsing the last one for poor luck. Looking forward to a decent run of races in July starting tomorrow… but just got notice that event is cancelled. Current tally of races finished still stands at 3.

So much for my plan of getting a lot of racing in early this season 🙁

TiRed

Won our westerley 10.3 on Wednesday by 0.05 seconds – chip timed laps. Bike shifted badly and I felt the same.

Spent this evening upgrading to eTap aero. Oh it’s so nice! Needs a radical new position with more forward saddle and longer extensions.

Still plenty of marginal gains to come.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’m in a run of bad luck too – entered two events for this week. Broke down on the way to Tuesday’s hill climb which was a DNS. Hired a car to get to the 50 I was meant to be doing today and then got an email through to say it is cancelled because there are roadworks on both the original course *and* the standby course.

Both actually organised by the same guy. This year I’ve entered four YCF events. Three of them have been cancelled (two for roadworks, on different courses, one due to the weather) and I broke down on the way to the 4th.

Grr.

Jamz
    Free Member

Bad luck for me also and I think mine is probably the same as mrblobby’s, but its made worse by the fact that I had entered 2 events on the A420 this weekend and both of them are cancelled due to the same road works……. doh!!!!! Hopefully the surface gets smoothed out in time for next year.

No racing for me then. In a moment of desperation I even resorted to searching the British Cycling website in the hope that there might be a chopper fest nearby to enter. 😥

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes Jamz, H10/17R 🙁

TiRed

No place for me in the a3crg on Wednesday – back to vets circuit racing I guess. Seems very hard to get into open events at the moment. On the positive side, I shall do a shakedown test of the new electronic Shorter tomorrow evening, before the new extensions and seatpost are delivered. More callbration.

Anyone spot that the Kask bambinos Sky are wearing seem to have grown a tail today? And Martin had an aerohead with side visors? An NQ doesn’t bother with a TT helmet? Anyone spot a manual shifting bike too?

hjghg5
    Free Member

I can get into most opens being female but all the main stretches of road used for Yorkshire courses seem to have roadworks on them this year – loads of v718 races have been cancelled, and the a168/a19 dual carriageway round thirsk has also had roadworks for a few weeks. So with temporary traffic lights also popping up on the red wall (old a1) this week (and apparently it’s being surface dressed soon too) there aren’t many decent courses available at the moment!

jb89
    Free Member

Bad weekend for me too. I’ve either overtrained/overcooked it for a few weeks (PM reading 30-40w low has meant easy rides haven’t been easy :?) or picked up a virus. Muscles have a deep ache, and just no energy at all.

Had to pull out of the Blazing Saddles 50 yesterday. Hoping to at least have some energy back for the Reading 25 at weekend!

matts
    Free Member

Anyone spot that the Kask bambinos Sky are wearing seem to have grown a tail today? And Martin had an aerohead with side visors? An NQ doesn’t bother with a TT helmet? Anyone spot a manual shifting bike too?

The long tail Bambino was new for the Tour last year.

Chris Froome wears new Kask helmet in Tour de France time trial

Those Aerohead ‘blinkers’ were interesting.

I can only think that maybe NQ found there to be little difference between the aero road lid and and Abus Bamino-a-like without the visor – maybe not wanting a visor in the rain?? (he wasn’t even wearing glasses)

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Well I did my first 100 mile TT on Sunday. Would love to say it went swimmingly but that’d be a lie 😐 Set of with a under 4hr target/25mph av so I thought I’d take it relatively easy for the first 50, see how I felt then start ramping it up for the second half. 42miles in, averaging 24.7mph and feeling strong as a ox, all ready to start upping the effort then it all went tits up. Hit a pothole just as I took my hand off the bars to get a drink. Came down hard but dusted myself down and carried on. Trouble was I lost my bottles on my rear saddle so only had a 500ml on the frame to last the last 58 really paid for it near the end. Also my hip really starting to play up so my power was well down for the last 25miles or so. I came in 12th with 4hrs 11 (I think)

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2017 TT'ing thread’ is closed to new replies.