Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 401 total)
  • 2016 XC racing thread.
  • ferrals
    Free Member

I enjoyed the cx racing thread this winter, and am already frothing for the start of the xc season proper so thought we could have a similar thread for xc racing. Be good to get some pics up etc.

What are peoples racing plans/goals? I’m racing in sports cat. I’ve already done the first soggy bottom in January and am semi tempted to do the second at the end of Feb. Otherwise its a mid march start with the first Welsh XC at llandegla. I’m doing all the Welsh XC series and at least three of the National Series (Pembrey, Newnham, Fforest Fields). Depending on how I do at Pembrey and Newnham I might head up to Dalby too. Assuming I dont do well in the nationals so dont have a weekend in Yorkshire, I’m tempted to do the southern xc by Winchester as it looks a reat venue. Goals are to get a good overal series standing in the Welsh, and to not embarrass myself in the nationals!

Just getting light enough to mean outside training before work which is a real treat after too much turbo time!

Like this pic of me at the sggy in jan, though I look remakably clean!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/CDTZ6d]DSC04516 (Medium)[/url] by fully sussed, on Flickr

everyone
    Free Member

Racing with a pack on? Interesting choice!

I’m planning on doing mainly Midlands XC and Nationals with a smattering of FNSS rounds where they fit in. No real goals for the National rounds since its my first year racing them but I’d like to be consistently in the mid 20s for the midlands rounds.

It’s going to be my first season following some structured training so I’m excited to see what I can do.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Run and Ride at Cannock in a couple of weeks.
    Then Welsh XC1 at Llandegla.
    I normally race the whole Midland series, but the first round clashes with that degla race, but I’ll try and do the rest of them (although they’ve moved 2 rounds to a Saturday which is tricky for me).

I’ll also be doing Mayhem and Torq 12:12.

Goals? Not getting lapped is always good! 😉

Yak

Mostly local Gorricks and the Southern xc series for me. First year as a vet, and I imagine mid-table finishes would be realistic. Came 23/52 on sunday at the first Gorrick. No real structured training – just trying to get as much in as possible, which isn’t really much at all going by most racers standards I expect.

jam-bo

just on round the corner from that photo…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CPsiBg]DSC04355 (Medium)[/url] by fully sussed, on Flickr

ferrals
    Free Member

everyone – Member

Racing with a pack on? Interesting choice!

Wont be for the main season – I did last year but its just too hot! I dont really see a reason not to beyond that though, while a touch heavier, it makes drinking easier assuming you don’t have anyone to hand up bottles.

No real goals for the National rounds since its my first year racing them

ditto, did fforest fields as open cat last year and came mid field. I am assuming the jump up to sports cat will be a bit of an eye opener.

It’s going to be my first season following some structured training so I’m excited to see what I can do.

Ditto again. Although only since christmas.

Nice shot Jambo!

jam-bo

Nice shot Jambo!

the rest of the official photos with me in are not so flattering…

still, I did have some fun on the downs even if I lost all the places back fairly quickly.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Adam@BikeWorks – Member 

Run and Ride at Cannock in a couple of weeks.
    Then Welsh XC1 at Llandegla.
    I normally race the whole Midland series, but the first round clashes with that degla race, but I’ll try and do the rest of them (although they’ve moved 2 rounds to a Saturday which is tricky for me).

I’ll also be doing Mayhem and Torq 12:12.

Goals? Not getting lapped is always good! 

Snap bar Torq, throwing in the marathon series too and Manchester Midweek Madness

LS
    Free Member

It’s my final season before turning Vet so I’ll do a few more than normal this year, mainly Mids XC as quite a few are more or less on my doorstep. I’ll probably be the oldest rider in the race so it’ll be interesting to see how many youngsters I can hold on to 🙂

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Great to see that there are some plans afoot and you guys are looking forward to the coming season.

Excuse the promotion but southernxc online entries are open and if you enter all 7 rounds before the closing date of the first round you’ll get one free!! Just visit wwww.southernxc.net

I’m tempted to do the southern xc by Winchester as it looks a reat venue.

Now pressure then… Lol. You’re right it’s an awesome venue and the good news is that we will be starting work on the course in a couple of weeks time so by the time you get to it it should be well sorted and flowing well!

I notice a mention of Torq 1212 up there, the final round of the Southernxc is on the same venue a few weeks before so if you want a sneaky peek at a very condensed version of the endurance course come along – I’m sure the Gorrick guys will add some cool extra stuff that we would be able to get too due to course length but it’ll give you a good idea.

If you are coming to join us at the Southernxc and fancy giving your fat bike an outing, check the fat bike box on entry and although you’ll race in your normal category you lap times will be averaged and entered into results for just fat bike riders and then the fat bike series too!

cokie

I’ve started the year with the Mad Dash in the Park series. 4 races- really well organised, good venues, great tracks and cheap. Doing a few Ride It events, Scott Marathon Series, Wiggle MTB events and anything else that’s reasonably close to me. Looking forward to dust and sun.

schmiken

I’m planning on taking my racing a bit more seriously than last year – I was doing my PGCE, now completing my NQT year so a bit less pressure!

I’ll be racing in the Expert category at most of the Midlands XC, doing most of the Nationals (really looking forward to Dalby!) and doing some FNSS, some Mallory Park crits and big goal is to try and podium at SSUK this year too.

Got some good winter training in the legs so should be good to see what I can do!

njee20
    Free Member

I’m the least fit I’ve been for years, but I’ll find my way to a few Southerns im sure. CBA with nationals. They’re all miles away and I’ll get trounced. Doing a pair at 24/12. May do Torq 12:12 too. Generally just gonna enjoy myself.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Adam_Buckland – Member
    I notice a mention of Torq 1212 up there, the final round of the Southernxc is on the same venue a few weeks before so if you want a sneaky peek at a very condensed version of the endurance course come along – I’m sure the Gorrick guys will add some cool extra stuff that we would be able to get too due to course length but it’ll give you a good idea.

I’d love too but it’s a 4 1/2- 5 hour drive for me, so a bit much for a non-overnighter!

wors

Is the Manchester Midweek Madness on again this year?

splashgordon
    Free Member

Going to try my first proper season of MTB racing this year. Have done a few races in the past but got a nice bike last year so need to use it! Looking to do the Nutcracker Series and maybe some of the Scottish XC ones too. I’d like to find a couple of fast/experienced racers in the NE to train with if anyone fancies it?

rsvktm

Wife and I will be doing the Nutcrackers again, have done for a few years, very well organised and good courses. Few more marathons and possibly the first Midlands at Sherwood. Away for the Nationals at Dalby which is annoying…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tempted to sign up for a few XC races this year, maybe Southern XC. Did my first XC race at one of the Gorrick Brass Monkeys rounds in November and rather enjoyed it. Race calendar for the summer already looking fairly busy though.

windyg
    Free Member

First race next week for me, just a small local event.
    Will do Mud Sweat & Gears again, hopefully will do some longer races like Brighton Big Dog.

mccraque

Racing with a pack on? Interesting choice

I ride with a very small pack. I find it easier to drink from a tube than a bottle (I launched one with slippery hands at a rider behind once….effective short term tactic, but left me without a drink for an hour or so)

I love the Gorricks and the Monkeys. Although had a heavy cold and punctured in the snowy one the other week…my worst race EVER.

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve entered the full Midlands XC series, racing in Open Male. First time I’ve raced XC in twenty years so it’s going to be entertaining. Goal is just to complete enough of the series to score, stretch goal the whole series. TrainerRoad training plan on the go for a week now.

teamslug
    Free Member

Mayhem solo, 24/12 solo, Kielder 101 and possibly Torq. Thats all.

benji
    Free Member

Nutcracker and Midlands series for me, combined with the Cannock winter and summer classic, and not forgetting mayhem, which I’m looking at fat pairs. End of season usually do the Oktoberfest at Bristol, really like that event maybe influenced by getting on the podium twice 🙂

gee
    Free Member

I’m trying to cut down on the XC a bit and do some more unique foreign races…

March 20 Battle on the Beach
    March 25-27 VolCAT 3 day race, Spain
    April 2-3 National XC1 Pembrey
    April 24 Tiliment Marathon Bike, Italy
    May 1 Roc Ardennes, Belgium
    May 14/15 National XC3 Dalby
    June Bristol Bikefest
    June 11/12 National XC4 Fforest Fields
    June 18/19 Mountain Mayhem
    July 2 MB Race, France
    July 29 – 3 August Epic Cymru
    August 7 National XC5 Cannock Chase
    August 13 Brighton Big Dog
    August 31 Torq 12:12
    October Bristol Oktoberfest

Plus probably a couple of southerns if it’s sunny.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m trying to cut down on the XC a bit and do some more unique foreign races…

A quiet one there by the looks of it 😯

gee
    Free Member

Well it’s about 5 events less than last year…

ferrals
    Free Member

cokie – Member
    I’ve started the year with the Mad Dash in the Park series. 4 races- really well organised, good venues, great tracks and cheap.

wish I’d known about them, would have been tempted as not too far from me.

iain65
    Free Member

Managed my first year of XC last year in FNSS and really enjoyed it, finishing 5th in GV. Plan for this year is the midlands xc series and a few National rounds.

Might manage down to some Gorrick events, did the last brass monkeys round and quite enjoyed it.

Clink

My aim is the Manx 100 again in July. Last year pulled after 100km in horrendous weather. Planning as many of Scott Marathon series as possible before then (including a local one – Exmoor!).

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Nutcracker here, first season of XC so looking forward to it.

DT78
    Free Member

Can’t commit to much this year due to my new addition. Hope to be at either torq or bbd and a couple of rounds of Southern xc and gorricks. Less fit than last year, but I’ve got a power meter and plan to be doing a lot of turboing and following a structured plan for the first time.

Mix in some midweek tts too.

Kryton57

Racing the G8 at Hadleigh on the 21st, just a warm and getting used to 1 X 11 & oval.

Then it’s on to Mud Sweat and Gears eastern where I want to place around 15th Vet overall, Battle on the Beach where my only goal is to finish in front of at least one of our Clubs CX boys, , Beastway in that London where I want to finish better than last years 9th, Mountain Mayhem Solo which is a warm up to the Bonty 24/12 – where I’ll be finishing 1st in Vets.

I might do Torq 12:12 as a pair, but I may be in Majorca getting fatter.

And I’m doing some TT’s on the weekends that are free.

No pressure 😀

adsh
    Free Member

Wentwood 50 – for fun
    Gorrick 100
    BORS – for fun
    Summer Monkey
    Brighton Big Dog
    Torq
    Oktoberfest

sirromj

Having only done a handful of races over the years but wanting to do more decided this year to try and do a race every month. Did the last Brass Monkey’s in Jan, 4hr vet, enjoyed first 2.5 hrs, felt very weary for remainder. Really enjoyed Gorrick on Sunday, vet, 3 laps meant I didn’t worry about pushing myself too hard, so was expecting a better result than 26/52 🙂 Need more hill training. Planning on completing the series. Signed up for BBD, 6hr solo, hopefully will have opportunity to put in enough training to get around without wanting to cry.

Not sure what to do between end of Gorrick SS & BBD. Travel is a bit of an issue so needs to be down South (unless I can slot it into a long w/e away with the OH).

johnny

Great idea for a thread!

I’m in a similar position to some above. ^ I’ve done occasional races each year, but this time I’m planning to do something much more structured. Road miles and Zwift over the darkness of January have helped a bit, but i did my first event last weekend, Gorrick SS, which was a comedy of errors- entered Veteran Plus, as I needed to be home early. (Mistake- it’s not just a longer race category…!) Also, didn’t taper properly in the week, so after 2 laps my legs waved goodbye… Reasonable learning experience though, my plans are;

Gorrick SS
    Couple of Southern XC rounds
    Gorrick Enduro
    Summer monkey
    Epic Cymru.

Those are the firm ones, I’ll have a look at some others depending on progress: never done BBD, Okotberfest or any Midlands events. I’ll probably look at some Southern Enduros and Red Kite events too to mix it up.

sefton
    Free Member

midlands, midweek madness, a few nationals and maybe a a few things like the sam houghton challenge.

adsh
    Free Member

hopefully will have opportunity to put in enough training to get around without wanting to cry

No matter how trained you are you will still want to cry. In fact the memory of the pain regularly makes me consider sacking all of this. Generally about week 3 of a 3 week training block (ie now).

everyone
    Free Member

It never gets easier, you just go faster!

ferrals
    Free Member

Can’t imagine the pain of doing a solo endurance style race. I want to die at the end of a normal XCO and it wipes me out for a day or two.

Second everyone on training, whats that quote – ‘you don’t train to make it easier on ourself, you train to make it harder for everyone else’

Need a bit of better riding conditions to get a proper feel for fitness, local natural trails are deep mud and fallen trees every few hundred metres and I always find trail centres flatter to decieve. Recovery week this week according to Trainerroads plan so will have a good crack at some better draining local trails on Sunday and see how the legs are with a bit of a week of rest. Recently felt slow, but think thats as a fair amount of fatigue and also wearing overshoes layers etc.

davidjey
    Free Member

I’ll be dabbling again this year. South Wales has two rounds of the nationals so I’ll be doing at least one of them (Pembrey, not sure I can make the Builth Wells one) and finding out just how bad I am at XC racing.

Oh and a few of the Welsh XC series and whatever else I can fit in (does BOTB count?!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 401 total)

The topic ‘2016 XC racing thread.’ is closed to new replies.