• This topic has 81 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Taz.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • 2011 Real Ale Wobble @ Llanwrytd – role call
  • Taz

Only one more sleep to go 🙂

A great w/e awaits.

Tend to do the ride then drink. Think most of my group will be drinking on route. Just makes me feel utter crap the times I have done that. Each year I need to remind myself of that. Better being home, dry with pint in hand

Paulio
    Free Member

I’m going along with some mates but haven’t registered for the ride. Are there likely to be spaces free if I register there tomorrow or does it normally fill up?

Taz

Always been able to register on the day in previous years so I guess it should be the same this year

Paulio
    Free Member

Good stuff, thanks for the reply. I’m really looking forward to this. Even the weather looks like it won’t be too bad.

singlespeedstu

Bikes ready.
    Bags packed.
    Time to start on the beer. 😀

tollah
    Free Member

Bikes ready.
    Bags packed.
    Time to start on the beer.

Same here but got to shift this hangover* before I start the beer.

* Not had a drink for weeks but I have a pre wobble hangover today??

singlespeedstu

Best way to shift a hangover.

Beer. Lots of it.

tollah
    Free Member

Best way to shift a hangover.

Beer. Lots of it.
    Thats the plan after the ride tomorrow!

singlespeedstu

After?

You **** lightweight. 😉

tollah
    Free Member

Bugger, need to get something for the hipflask…………..

jj55

This weekend i shall be mostly ………… DRINKING BEER! (and perry… and whisky….. omg 😯 )

Taz

Another awesome weekend

Definitely roughest I have felt on the actual ride. Did seem to lift a bit up the first climb.

The ‘long’ ride was pretty short this year. Even in a hungover state it was a 2.5 hour ride, certainly not the claimed 35 miles (35km’s maybe ?). Enjoyed it but did feel like I was a bit short changed in terms of ride time (I know actual riding is almost incidental)

Top night both Friday & Saturday. Stone Croft mosh pit was class on Saturday 😀

thevedge
    Free Member

my first wobble and have to say it wasnt bad
    I probably would go with my trail centre bike next time rather than my freeride bike and would definitely leave my armour at home, the trails hadnt been prepared very well as it was really muddy in places and some of the singletrack could have done with some hardcore in places as it was very slippery.
    some people seemed to be there more for the beer than the riding which I found a bit odd too, but each to there own

might try and get some friends to go next time as it was a bit boring standing in the pub trying to join into with other peoples conversations as some were quite antisocial

ssjeff
    Free Member

Hey TheVedge, that was you in the Nueadd last night in red sticking really badly and dance very anti social like?

Stoner
    Free Member

the trails hadnt been prepared very well as it was really muddy in places

LOL

some people seemed to be there more for the beer than the riding which I found a bit odd too

LMFAO.

Loving your irony work…

Nick

might try and get some friends to go next time as it was a bit boring standing in the pub trying to join into with other peoples conversations as some were quite antisocial

lol

I last went about 4 years ago and haven’t recovered from using the rugby club “toilet” when suffering from the combined effects of a lot of beer and a curry the night before, I still have nightmares about it.

Have to say the clientele in in the Nueadd were very friendly though, especially the two chaps from the Kinder Edge brewery and some american chap called Gordon who was riding a folding brompton like bike.

Had a good time, might be ready to return next year.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Well there was that bit of red brick that had been laid down on a bit of singletrack about 2/3 of the way round. I’ll be waiting for the north shore to avoid the bedrock puddle-fest lane. I’ve heard they’ve got planning permission for that ready for 2012 when it’ll be part of the pre-Olympic warm-up. Next year there will only be Science In Sport Go on tap and it’ll be taken seriously by all. On the plus side there won’t be any fatbikes in sight.

robkhoo
    Free Member

A fab weekend, with a good but shortish route (I measured it at around 22 miles or so). A very entertaining Saturday night, pants man in the mosh pit was awesome.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Nick – I’d make sure you bring your own toilet facilities then… 4 years of entry and camping fees have not been allocated to the ‘Diamond Jubilee pavilion’ fund. If only Her Majesty knew.

Stoner
    Free Member

On the plus side there won’t be any fatbikes in sight.

dear god, please. Damn things kept getting in the way 🙄

sofaking
    Free Member

shock horror, even in deepest darkest Wales people fear the fatbike and its sheer awsumness 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Damn things kept getting in the way

actually, either that or they were pushing all the mud out of my way 😉

singlespeedstu

Maybe you didn’t see any fatbikes this time as they were way out in front of you neil. 😉

Taz

Saturday night, pants man in the mosh pit was awesome

That was pure class. As we were recounted stories over brekkie I nearly spat my coffee as that one was brought up. The thing was it just seemed to make sense at the time.

neilc1881
    Free Member

At least Mr S as he shall be known managed to keep his pants on this year. 2 years ago his boxer shorts did a few laps of the tent culminating in a ‘headshot’ for one unlucky gent.

As regarding the ‘Maybe you didn’t see any fatbikes this time as they were way out in front of you neil‘ comment Stu, I very much doubt that you were way out in front, unless you lot managed to crawl out of your pits earlier than us (we set off at around 9:30), the only things that overtook (without bypassing the special stages!) had gears and looked far too sober and perky to be serious wobblers. A cracking event and I am (believe it or not) disappointed that we did not have a decent bit of ride banter and that I could not take someone* up on the offer of a fatbike test.

*thanks to you for the offer if it was you! Frankly I can’t remember everything from that night, though I do have some unusual carpet burns…

singlespeedstu

Yep it was me that offered you a shot on my bike.
    I kept half an eye out for you on the way round as we’ve had a bit of fun with you boys out on the trails before.
    We also left early* as we didn’t want to get caught up in the traffic.

*9.45 though so a little behind you.

The bike did get a few “test rides” at the second beer stop though.
    I love the way people just start laughing as soon as the get on it. 😀

tollah
    Free Member

So why don’t we all catch up some time somewhere and have a ride? Fatbikes, mainstream, SS or just a bike?

Ambrose

A top weekend. Any news on the guy that crashed on the Saturday just before the first beer stop?

jj55

A really excellent weekend – thanks to organisers/marshalls/medics

midwales
    Free Member

‘A top weekend. Any news on the guy that crashed on the Saturday just before the first beer stop?’

that would be gareth, a local rider who should have known better, still in hospital and due out on wednesday. really bad cut to his leg, infected. it may have been his knee cap coming out that caused the injury. get well soon mate.

gareths knee:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/374323_1942009449560_1822171363_1315823_1552767984_n.jpg

z1ppy

yowser, healing vibes to Gareth, we were passing just as the ambulance came down the road (so we didnt stop).

We had a good weekend, just a pity the event organisers didn’t spend a few quid on some portaloo’s for the campers…

tollah
    Free Member

Yeah healing vibes, he crashed just in front of Mrstollah, I was at the bottom waiting for her wondering why she took a while coming down ;-(

midwales
    Free Member

he was riding with a first responder so got treatment quickly.

neil
    red kite events

sofaking
    Free Member

ouch , that looks nasty.
    Gareth ?
    not one of the locals who rides with John lloyd and Terry etc?

tonyplym
    Free Member

Second that “ouch” comment.

nevisthecat
    Free Member

Another great RAW.

I did notice that it seems to draw the local cougars out – a lot of ladies of a certain age lookin for sport 😛

According to Pants Man – he was celebrating the fact he had just got out of prison – well you would wouldn’t you.

Also pleased to say my mate the stormtroppers was last seen in a befuddled heap trying to get itno the Stoney hostel, dribbling his pint and speaking in toungues.

jeff

Get well soon Gareth – I picked his bike up and cleared the way while he was being looked after. His knee looked dirtier / full of clag when I saw it.

Fair play, he rolled down the hill postman style to the road after that.

Taz

At least 2 of mates go primarily to acquaint themselves with the Cougar community 😳

Love the comment above

some people seemed to be there more for the beer than the riding which I found a bit odd too

Sent that to my group. Comic genius

pease
    Free Member

great ride sat, maybe too short for some but with the sociable beer stops it made a great day out on the bike i think. as for needing hardcore etc.. its a ride in the welsh hills not a trail centre. i thought the muddy single tracks were great fun but i am a local so maybe a little bias.

i wish the chap with the knee injury a speedy recovery looked nasty.

beezy
    Free Member

the injured rider was local lad gareth price rides with Llanwrtyd bike club , he`s hoping to be out of hospital on wednesday .

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘2011 Real Ale Wobble @ Llanwrytd – role call’ is closed to new replies.