Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2008 Specialized enduro suspension
  • chilli1912
    Free Member

Hi has anyone ever changed the fork or shox (even both)on the '08 enduro? Also how does the change feel afterdoing so? thanks for any reply

Bregante

there's a few on mtbr with Fox 36's or Lyriks on the front if you want to trawl through the VERY long Enduro SL thread

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=265987&page=4

a few on there too who have fitted a DHX coil shock, which I quite fancy trying

rs
    Free Member

didn't the 09's come with completely different forks and shocks, its just a bike it'll be fine, if not better.

stew1982
    Free Member

Should be fine with Lyriks or 36's. I've just ordered myself a DHX Coil to try on mine, not that i actually had any issues with the Spec unit.

oopnorth
    Free Member

What size DHX coil are you all using? Been thinking about changing my Enduro SL.

stew1982
    Free Member

200×57 DHX5.0

Bregante

Stew, would you let us know if you have any issues fitting it and how much difference it makes when climbing and descending as I am sriously considering one at the minute for mine

Gomez13
    Free Member

Chilli..I have a 2009 Enduro…recently fitted a coil DHX 5 from my previous Heckler. I love it..it has turned the bike into the bike it should be. IMO. I'd only ever ridden coils before…Patriot/Heckler/Bullit.

The AFR shox is slightly better for climbing and obviously lighter..but I'll be keeping the DHX on. I ride aggressive and like my bike to be planted..I find it better off jumps..neutral..and it handles rough terrain with ease…hence the comment that it is the bike it should be but isn't with the AFR.

In summary. I don't want to feel my suspension as I ride..I just want it to work..I felt the AFR..I don't feel the DHX..as a result I can now visibly ride faster over the same ground.

Fitting. 200×57 is correct..If you're buying new stating the model and year should get you sorted with the correct spacers/bolt diam. Mine slotted in no issues what so ever.

Not sure what forks you're riding..OEM on mine were 32 Talas RL 150mm 15mm QR. I hated them and got Mojo to fit a compression cartridge so I could control the dive. They're not as good (plush/smooth) as my previous Vans but after about 6 months I now have them performing close.

hope that helps..

stew1982
    Free Member

Bregante – have fitted it tonight – just waiting for my E150's to come back from having a service (hopefully by Sat, for a riide Sun) and will let you know how the shock feels.

Shock fited fine using the mounts from the AFR shock.

It felt pretty heavy with a steel spring, but I don't think it'll feel heavy when added to my rather heavy 107kg!

chilli1912
    Free Member

thanks to you all. so most people have fitted the dhx coil rather than the air version or the rp23. I can understand the coil is plusher etc… the fork is the original e150 which i find ok but the afr shock i find is'nt. The reason im asking is would it benefit me changing the shock or selling the frame+fork and going for the orange 5 or is that being silly

bennyboy1
    Free Member

chilli1912 – I've fitted 2009 Lyrik Coil U-Turn forks and a 2009 Fox RP23HV rear shock to my Enduro SL Pro frame – imo it vastly improved the bike, the Lyriks are ace and the extra 10mm travel nicely slackens the headangle just ever so slightly more, the fork copes with bigger hits better. The Fox RP23 on the back was also a big improvement on the AFR – damping is more controlled, with propedal turned off for DH runs it's nice & plush (bit bobby though!), and I quite like the fact that you can effectively lock the forks and rear shock out now, makes fireroad climbs more bearable.

I'd totally recommend the changes to be honest, it does feel as though the AFR & e150 were holding the frame back somewhat.

alcolepone
    Free Member

is ti easy to replace the rear shock? thinking it might be cheaper than a service;D

obokos
    Free Member

Hi Folks,

I have a large M5 enduro sl which I have fitted with a 160mm lyrik u-turn and a dhx coil. The performance is much improved over the old shocks. Head angle is now 65.9 degrees.

The front end is not as stiff as the e150 (what is) but it is much more progressive. Damping is a vast improvement! I am 6' and about 195-200 in kit and am using a standard spring, which is about right for me. I think lyrik spring are a bit firm. Besides, I probably don't ride aggressively enough to warrant a firm spring.

The rear suspension leverage ratio on the bike is falling with a rising rate in the last part of the travel (ie set up for an air shock). With a linear shock (ie a coil), this make the bike progressive for about 70% of the travel but a bit regressive on the very big hits when you get to the last part of the travel. I like this as it means you get all the travel and the bike gets plusher in the final part. Mid stroke control and overall bump sensitivity is way better with a coil, but it doesn't blow through so much, so it can seem a bit stiffer – actually it is just better control. Of course you can correct the last part of the stroke to taste with the bottom out adjustment / boost valve on the rear shock. I am using a 500lb spring, which is good for me. The recommended 550lb spring was a bit too firm in my opinion and the 450 is too soft.

All in, this is an excellent setup for me, but the large bike does seem a wee bit long and quite hard to manual because of the forward saddle position.

For the record, I also have an 06 enduro with a dhx coil – the leverage ratio is more linear falling rate, the wheelbase is a bit shorter and the coil spring is a bit longer (hence plusher).

I am still figuring out which one I like best….

Cheers,

John

stew1982
    Free Member

Bregante – get one (if you haven't already) first ride out today after fitting the coil, and having had the E150 Serviced and internals upgraded to 09 spec.

It's how it should be!

DarthFall
    Free Member

Hi- just came across this discussion and thought i would add my thoughts. I have a 2008 Enduro and never liked the e150 fork or the shock- why did i buy the bike? I got it cheap in a sale! Its taken me two years to change things but now it has Fox 36 van rc2 forks and a Pushed van r shock. The bike is transformed and rides like a dream. I do aggressive trail riding mainly in natural woods but also trail centres. If you get the chance change the fork and shock it turns the Enduro into what it always should have been.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2008 Specialized enduro suspension’ is closed to new replies.