Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 2008 Epic shock problems
  • iolo
    Free Member

I bought a 2008 Epic comp on the 30th Dec 08 new.
    I blew the shock on the first outing.
    Specialized sent another straight away.
    Last week I went round the Marin and I have blown the replacement shock.
    Have I just been unlucky or is the specialized shock really that poor?
    I really love the bike but really don’t want to keep sending the shock to Specialized every other week.

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

I have had four or five (lost count)on my 2007 stumpy fsr all blown fairly quickly after replacemet! 😥

Specialized Warranty is exellent though, and I still like the bikes,Ithink there still some way behind in terms of (fox) reliability though.
    🙂

jandockie
    Free Member

I had three since September last yr and my mates had three since june. Ask most other owners and it is a similar story – still the warranty good though – just as well!

Maybe the question should “any epic owners out who have not had shock problems?”

garethh
    Free Member

Me too, had a perfectly good 07 shock which was sent for a service and returned with an 08 free of charge (very pleased at the time), however since then 2 have gone, I seem to be going through bearings at a rate of a set every 6 months, one cracked swing arm and a cracked magnesium rocker.

I too am fed up of taking the bike to bits and not being able to ride it, unsurprisingly the guy at Spec tried to underplay the problem. As several of you have mentioned the customer service is actually very good, so fingers crossed they might sort it out.

Gareth

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

ask them to replace the bike with a 09 model 🙂

garethh
    Free Member

Heres hoping! It has been a right hassle constantly stripping the bike, I must has taken it apart 7+ times over 2 years, a good bike but v. high maintenance,

Gareth

bomberman
    Free Member

my mate also has had problems with the shock on his carbon epic. sounds like a common problem

jandockie
    Free Member

So come on then, here’s the challenge – Anyone know an Epic owner that has not had shock problems?

julianwilson
    Free Member

I know two epic 08’s (and their owners!) One is on its third and other its fourth shock all ‘replaced’ under warranty. The 09 shock is completely different (and won’t fit in the 08 frame either). I wonder why they only made this one for a year?! Specialized are presumably fixing these like crazy (it sounds/feels like a seal blows in the compression/brain bit) and putting them back out for warranty replacement. The latest replacements on both bikes have been going a bit longer than the previous ones did, mind.

Wozza
    Free Member

I thought about upgrading my 04 M4 with the fox shock for a M5 08 model with the spesh shock. After reading this I reckon i’ll just stick with what i’ve got for now.

Without trying to jinx myself i’ve never had any trouble out of it. (Look out for a post tomorrow about mine spontaneously combusting on the way to work.)

SpecEpic
    Free Member

My shock has also just given up again.

I spoke to the suspension guy at Specialized who admitted it was a common problem.

He is expecting a new and improved shock with better quality motor bike seals in about a month. This is meant to solve all the problems the shocks currently have. As well as replacing my broken shock with the same again, he has put my name on a list to be sent a new one when they arrive.

It might be worth asking Specialized to send you one of these too.

bikergbr
    Free Member

Sounds daft, but I have not had my epic very long.
    What do I need to look out for if the shock is failing?
    Thanks

Pippalarge
    Free Member

i’m on my fourth shock now – same thing always happens: brain control will only turn about 3/4 turn (instead of 3) and shock blows straight through the first 25% of travel. Apparently they this latest shock (with new seal) will permanently solve the problem – mind you that’s what they said last time… If this one blows i’m going to request a 2009 frame!

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’m on a “yellow spot” shock which is so far going well having gone though about 4 others (original, normal, red spot, blue spot) Not really had it long enough to make a comment about durability.. anybody had a “yellow spot” fail yet?

garethh
    Free Member

Update: just got a replacement 08 FSR frame and shock, took alot of debating, letter writing etc. I also have been told by someone in the know that Specializeds frame alignment is known to be an issue, this could explain my 4 sets of bearing in two years on my old bike and may explain some shocks failing?

Gareth

carlphillips
    Free Member

specepic, ive got an 08 model with the newer ‘fixed’ shock…ive been through one already..that makes three in 6months, i’ve stopped using it because im scared of blowing it all the time, so now the mrs uses it for her outings and i use it very occasionally for races/long moor rides.
    shame really as its a corking ride when all is well.

jandockie…from plymouth perchance?

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Bike getting fitted with ‘yellow spot’ version tonight – supposedly ‘extensively reworked internals’ we shall see…

It’s obviously a very common problem – my lbs had two other shocks waiting to go on other bikes.

garethh – was yours an epic or stumpy that got replaced? If mine blows again it’s time to request a new frame i think.

fatmuthahubbard – have you blown a yellow?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Flippin ‘eck what are you blokes doing to them?

I had a 2007 Epic, rode/raced it for two seasons, no shock problems whatsoever. Replaced one shock bushing, that’s all.

And in case you’re thinking I didn’t ride it hard enough, I tell you, I rode it hard, very hard.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

Similar experience with a 2007 Epic – no probs whatsoever over two years of ownership. I’m aware of the 09 shock failing miserably – njee?

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Well i do weigh 22 stone…

But seriously – do your 2007 epics have the spesh shock? Mines the carbon s-works version – have heard it suggested that frame alignment may be a factor, can’t see why that would make the brain fail tho??

stratobiker
    Free Member

Pippalarge – can’t see it being the frame alignment as the nature of the bearings would accommodate that.

22 stone eh? 😉

Actually my 2007 didn’t have the Spesh shock.

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Yeah been on the Butterfield Diet Plan – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjnuBTPOaKY

That makes sense – don’t hear of many issues with the Fox versions.

One thing i will say for Spesh: the customer service & warranty is class – all it takes is one call and new shock is fitted within 48hrs. Also means i don’t have to shell out for servicing – just get shock replaced every 3 months!

ozzybmx
    Free Member

i have a mate who has blown 5 …. FIVE BRAINS since his new 2007 epic.

i have a specialized, but them epic brains are absolute shite !

rickmeister

Pork Cylinders!
    Hoi Sin Crispy Owl!
    BonBonBonBons!

I can barely keep it together and type……

Pippalarge…. Priceless….

scottishbadger
    Free Member

2007 Epic shocks, apart from the S Works and Marathon, were all Fox I believe.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m off to my LBS in the morning to have shock no 6 fitted.
    The last one was the new and improved guaranteed never to fail version.
    It lasted 3 hours.

Pippalarge
    Free Member

iolo – was that the mythical ‘yellow spot’ shock you just blew?

rickmeister – you might also like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkhQnqXX9sk

njee20
    Free Member

Did I hear my name mentioned?!

My 2009 Epic has had 4 pairs of forks and 3 shocks so far, it’s not just 08 ones! Ironically though, 2007 ones were perfect, mine never broke. I think I had about 7 2008 ones in the end! At least they’re good at fixing them!

The problems with both seem to have died down, I think they’ve finally found the problem and sorted it, the latest seals seem much better. It’s a real shame, as I think their shocks work far far better than Fox ones, but the reliability is a disaster!

iolo
    Free Member

i have no idea what my last shock was.
    I was told it is the latest shock with the proper seal which had been stripped and inspected especially before sending it to me.
    Still blew in no time at all going round the MBR at Coed y Brenin.
    I’m not going to accept another shock if this new one goes.

T-Rex
    Free Member

Hi, does anyone know whether the shock from my ’07 Epic Comp (Fox shock with brain) will fit onto an ’08 S-Works carbon frame? I’m considering trying a medium frame instead of my large and have found one for sale without a shock. Thanks!

plop_pants
    Free Member

Got one of the first epics. No problems in all these years. Not even serviced it. Works perfectly.

kaesae
    Free Member

As far as I know the shocks for a 2003 through to a 2008 are all interchangeable.

The 07 fox shocks are about the best, as for specialized own brand of shock. The are useless, since fox is sticking with them. They obviously think they can get into the shock market. Time will tell if they can.

I wouldn’t buy a frame with one of the shocks, too unreliable.

symes
    Free Member

Same as plop_pants, got an early model (2003) never touched it. Works perfectly.

iolo
    Free Member

Well I sold my Epic as it did my head in.
    Lovely bike when it worked. Shame was that wasn’t very often.
    I’m sure they’re much better now but I’ll never buy another bike with a home made shock.

carlphillips
    Free Member

ask craig (your boss?) how many shocks i went through before flogging mine yes and even one yellow!! ace bike but so unreliable!!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘2008 Epic shock problems’ is closed to new replies.