Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • 2008-2010 Honda Civic Type R
  • Fantastic car. I had one from 2008 to 2011 and covered 56,000 miles in it from new in that time. Probably my favourite of all the cars I’ve ever owned (including Mk2 Golf GTI and Mk1 Audi A3) and quite simply knocked spots of the Audi TT which I replaced it with and only kept for 6 months.

When the seats are folded the rear space is huge. I once fitted 3 complete BMX bikes (with wheels on) in the back, plus kit.

Very affordable now as well. I might try to pick one up myself once I re-jig my current fleet and sort out getting a van.

Only downer is they’re a little bit thirsty if driven hard – and they demand to be driven hard.

rootes1

Costs of running are pretty high depending on how you drive – they love a drop of oil and I hate to think what I average mpg – probably 22-25 on a good day.

I have an EP3 and yep does use a little oil if using the vtec a bit..

great car and consumption is not that bad around 30.

only bad thing for EP3 UK cars is lack of LSD – think the next gens had these?

hora
    Free Member

Theres Chinese Stig, Bunga bunga Stig then theres me Stig of the dump 😉

T5 and mk2.5 MX5. Good call

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

the Audi TT which I replaced it with and only kept for 6 months.

Can see that happening to me, if I’m brave enough to bring the subject up with Mrs Knob.

Should’a got the GTI MkVI with ACC I really wanted. : (

I drove one of these Type-Rs, loved it, especially the gearbox and vtec nutty, but it did give me a headache after half an hour. Too bumpy. And I’m accustomed to VAG plastics, unfortunately.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Also drove an RS Clio 200, loved that too, but bits of it came off in my hand and I think Mrs Knob would have left me.

PiknMix
    Free Member

King-ocelot – Member

Pik n mix what do you drive?

Corolla TTE Compressor 😉

the_lecht_rocks

sell you my Mugen M20, LOL

timc
    Free Member

Think Id rather a golf R32/GTI & 130i, even Focus ST over the Tyre R for day to day life, for me it harsh & noisy, not very ‘refined’ imo.

bryan-g-

I would buy your Mugen but I’m not aloud one.

the_lecht_rocks

Why not ?

rhysw
    Free Member

Mike-at-dialled bikes , you not looking for a nice VW T5 are you ?

bryan-g-

Large thumb.

rhysw – Member

Mike-at-dialled bikes , you not looking for a nice VW T5 are you ?

I’ve been looking at Caddys, Transporters and Vitos, but it looks like I’ll be getting a Caddy Sportline next week.

rhysw
    Free Member

Caddy sportline’s are nice

geordiemick00
    Free Member

in 2003 I had an Accord 2.2 Type R and loved it as a drivers as and hated it as a car to run, it ran 98RON petrol only and was stripped out for homologation so I thought I’d get a Civic which didn’t need super unleaded and was a bit more civilised.

One day I was on the motorway when I got blew away by a Diesel Golf, I had to dig VERY deep to get the power and by then we were both well over the ton mark and it proved to me that modern diesels will be the death of the petrol engine, even in hot hatches.

I bought a BMW 123D which had 203bhp and 45mpg economy and ever since have had sporty diesels.

the civic is a nice car and extremely well built but the power is so far up the rev range it’s only accessible by working the engine hard which means dire fuel economy. I now drive a 320D M Sport and it’s still nippy but can do over 50mpg on a run and still handles really well went I want to throw it around.

The Civic S Type Diesel is a good option but they’re not good on economy either, in comparison to VW’s and French diesels…..

Cheers rhysw. Should be even nicer when I get the Revo remap to 185bhp and Eibach Pro Springs.

garage-dweller

Modern diesels are all well and good but you’ve got to save some serious cash on the fuel to compensate for the bill for a new dmf or dpf that might just clock up. They’re also.relatively heavy on the nose. For my day to day motorway bashing I can’t fault my 8 year old Mondeo but its hardly fun on entertaining.

Back OT this has to be a heart thing. I cannot imagine a type r of any sort being a head / rational only choice. I love the idea of an Integra or ‘bread van’ CTR but I have always been reluctant because I do 20+k a year and when i drive for work I want lazy oomph not something I have to push hard. For that a VAG petrol turbo seems more logical if a little more mundane. We’re thinking about a fun and useable at the minute but finding it hard to be inspired by current offerings!

weeksy

What you want is a D5 and a motorbike. Keeps the refinement of the Volvo, but then the performance that wipes the floor with cars. (at way better mpg too)

weeksy

One day I was on the motorway when I got blew away by a Diesel Golf, I had to dig VERY deep to get the power and by then we were both well over the ton mark and it proved to me that modern diesels will be the death of the petrol engine, even in hot hatches

Buy a 2000 Yamaha R1, you can beat anything but the fastest £500,000 supercar up to 150mph…. and beat them by THAT much at by the time they overtake you, you’ve pulled off 3 miles ago

Trimix
    Free Member

I drive a big van and own a KTM990, my wife has a Type ‘R’. So she pays the running costs, I just use it to have four wheel fun in.

However, as a car its a great combination of big space inside and a rapid vehicle. Grips the road amazingly.

She gets 34mpg in it. I turn off the mpg indicator when I drive it. Cant fault its carrying capacity though, we are taking it with two bikes in the back to the south of France for Xmass. More comfy/enjoyabe than my van as well as way faster.

flange
    Free Member

Julian which S3? If its the 1.8T I’d agree. With a remap its a whole lot better. Still as a car it was no-drama/sort of affair.

You really do talk a lot of rubbish. When did you pass your test? What’s your current car now? Have you driven a late shape Civic for any length of time?

Didn’t think so…

TatWink
    Free Member

the lecht rocks

Those Mugen M20’s are pretty special!!

They were 40k if memory serves and only 20 built??

If it’s the one I’m thinking of – nice motor!!!

hora
    Free Member

You really do talk a lot of rubbish. When did you pass your test? What’s your current car now? Have you driven a late shape Civic for any length of time?

Didn’t think so…

😆 I’m guessing you own a car with its lineage/marketing written down the side..

flange
    Free Member

I’m guessing you own a car with its lineage/marketing written down the side..

Ahh, I see. How relevant….

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’m guessing you own a car with its lineage/marketing written down the side..

What is this supposed to mean?

rhysw
    Free Member

Finally got to test drive a FN2 with all the trimmings yesterday and I loved it.
    I’m used to driving turbo cars and I found it fairly strange went the “thump” of the turbo never arrived, but when I looked at the speedo, it was going way faster then it felt.
    I think I’m going to take the plunge, your only young once hey?

Anyone one want to buy a nice T5 ?

hora
    Free Member

What’s your current car now?

Citroen C1. What is your point? If I don’t get an additional car intime I’ll also drive it to South Germany for NY’s eve this year. :mrgreen:

BTW I don’t mean to sound cockish. Afterall you could point out a multitude of sins in my current car (and I wouldn’t get offended). It only has 65bhp but by ‘eck its about having fun first then power… Funnily enough I was watching Dave this lunchtime at home and Clarkson drove both Gen’s back to back in a shoot out. It actually made me want to revisit a circa 53plate again..

King-ocelot
    Free Member

rhysw – Member
    Finally got to test drive a FN2 with all the trimmings yesterday and I loved it.
    I’m used to driving turbo cars and I found it fairly strange went the “thump” of the turbo never arrived, but when I looked at the speedo, it was going way faster then it felt.
    I think I’m going to take the plunge, your only young once hey?
    Anyone one want to buy a nice T5 ?
    POSTED 57 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Buy it! 🙂

legend
    Free Member

The first mingin horrible ride you go on with only a Honda, you’ll regret not having something like the T5/MX-5 combo

hora
    Free Member

I’d still have my beloved MX5 now if it wasn’t rear-ended by a blithering idiot.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Someone else wrote off your MX5 and you bought a C1?

hora
    Free Member

No – C1’s a really cheap lease car. The last two decent cars that I had were chucking up some epic bills so I wanted something small/cheap/reliable for a while. I don’t rule out a third Subaru however I’m aiming for something different next…

BTW- due to my area postcode a EP3 is over £1,200 for me to insure. A 3.0 Legacy Sportswagon would be £500…. 😯

flange
    Free Member

It actually made me want to revisit a circa 53plate again..

Jesus wept….revisit? You mean ‘have another go in’…stop being such a marketing victim

hora
    Free Member

I’ll drive anything. If you turned up in a tuk tuk I’d ask if I could have a spin in it. 8)

flange
    Free Member

What??!?!?

Jesus Chris could you be any more random? You just churn out random statements one after another. This thread started as a discussion on whether an FN Civic Type R is a decent car. You’re now justifying why you bought a C1 (hateful) and that you’ll ‘drive anything’. What the hell are you on about man?

hora
    Free Member

your staying ontopic after 3 pages? 😆

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Jesus Chris could you be any more random? You just churn out random statements one after another. This thread started as a discussion on whether an FN Civic Type R is a decent car. You’re now justifying why you bought a C1 (hateful) and that you’ll ‘drive anything’. What the hell are you on about man?

This ^ Hora did you own a Type-R? I’m confused? By revisit do you mean test drive at a garage after seeing one on TV? And what was that earlier stuff about marketing/heritage down the side of a car all about?

flange
    Free Member

You’re a law unto yourself.

Carry on….

toby1

Every Honda I’ve driven has the same numb steering. I also drove an EP3- it shouted ALOT but didn’t seem to have the corresponding speed.

Tell that the Astra sri I burried off the roundabout on the A14 yesterday. We’d been sat at a set of lights for a bit watching the road empty out ahead of us, I should have been better behaved – but it was a fun little drag race till I had them beat and eased off.

To the OP – get one, enjoy it – have fun and don’t worry about the fact it’ll cost you a little more than something more tedious.

legend
    Free Member

Astra sri

oh dear. do yourself a favour and don’t go looking at what engines that bulk of SRi’s are sold with. If you’re really lucky, you might just have beaten an Astra EcoFlex 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘2008-2010 Honda Civic Type R’ is closed to new replies.