Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 2 days in South Wales – BikePark Wales and……?
  • ThePinkster

I’m going (with the usual suspects) for a weekends riding, larking about and general tomfoolery to South Wales sometime in June.

We’re already booked into BPW on Saturday but the dilemma is Sunday – do we ride at Cwmcarn or Afan. We’ve not ridden either and can only do one do to time constraints. There will be a variety of bikes from XC hardtails to big & bouncy (but not DH) full sussers.

Which should we do & why?

kayak23

Assuming you’re travelling from England, Cwmcarn is more on the way back I’d say.
    Afan is great, but Cwmcarn is good too.
    I’d go there personally.
    You have the option of an uplift if you book, or two xc trails.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brechfa Red and Black combined into one loop.

Why? Quieter and more ‘natural’ feeling trail centre riding. Oh and berms. Big berms. Yes, I know berms aren’t natural, but much of Brechfa feels more out there than other trail centres.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Having ridden both a lot, i would say the new trail at cwmcarn beats anything at afan.

kimbers

yeah do Twrch + Cafall at cwmcarn its a great ride

mrben100
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member
    Assuming you’re travelling from England, Cwmcarn is more on the way back I’d say.

I would say this – we typically do a weekend where Sat anywhere in Wales, then stay over near Cwm Carn, ride there Sunday morn – and you’re on your way home.

Plus the final descent of Twrch always leaves a big smile on our faces ready for trip back to London and Thetford.

philwarren11 – Member
    Having ridden both a lot, i would say the new trail at cwmcarn beats anything at afan

Had read on the interwebs that, if wet, can be a real gloop-fest, any truth behind that? I only ask as Twrch always seems to be good no matter the weather.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Brechfa, even the green is brilliant.

hboycey
    Free Member

We went to Cwm Carn this weekend. new trail is excellent. We did Carfell had some lunch then did the Twirch. worth a visit.

ThePinkster

Thanks for the recommendations. Yes, heading back oop North into England on the way home so Cwmcarn was the most likely choice and from what you’ve put here I think that confirms it.

I think Brechfa is slightly the wrong direction, cheers, hence asking about Afan & Cwmcarn 😉

creamegg
    Free Member

If you head to Cwmcarn (which is what I’d do) do the DH option at the end of Cafall instead of the XC descent!

Double up- Twrch then Cafall, around 29km.

ThePinkster

Sounds like a plan, cheers.

mrben100
    Free Member

The Pinkster – Member
    …….I think Brechfa is slightly the wrong direction….

Yep, end of the M4 west and then some.

Scapegoat

The Pinkster – Member

Thanks for the recommendations. Yes, heading back oop North into England on the way home so Cwmcarn was the most likely choice and from what you’ve put here I think that confirms it.

I think Brechfa is slightly the wrong direction, cheers, hence asking about Afan & Cwmcarn

Unless you go straight up the A483 from Brecon/Llandeilo to Chester before joining the M56. Great driving road, did it a couple of weeks ago, virtually traffic free.

afrothunder88

Had read on the interwebs that, if wet, can be a real gloop-fest, any truth behind that? I only ask as Twrch always seems to be good no matter the weather.

I rode it a week after it opened and the top section in the trees was a 3″ deep, claggy, nightmare. Rode it again last weekend and it was a million times better. A few patches of deep stuff but largely it was just the ride side of grippy and a lot of fun. I think the bedding in process has sorted it quite nicely.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think Brechfa The Grim Northern Wasteland is slightly the wrong direction

FTFY.

Well, if you will live there……

ThePinkster

Well, if you will live there……

It’s the furthest I could get from soft southern shandy drinkers and still have a decent job in reach of good riding

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘2 days in South Wales – BikePark Wales and……?’ is closed to new replies.