Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • 1992 hardtail downhill nutters ….you have to see this! haha
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

it’s been said, but just dropping the seat by 6 inches would have done them the world of good

mrchrispy

some of those guys had more balls that all of us put together. the guy at 4.20 is a freaking nutter, awesome vid
    10/10

yodagoat
    Free Member

That was like me and my mates when we were 16-18! Same sort of crashes and everything. This was what we watched the hardcore of the time do
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wJjZ34ZQl0
    What a laugh!

Northwind

I just rebuilt my 90s rigid and went for a ride round the block on it. I have absolutely no idea how I survived riding that thing off road, it’s unbelievably awful. Yet still kind of brilliant…

People argue about who invented the mountain bike and when… As far as I can tell it still hadn’t been invented in 1992.

montylikesbeer

my sides hurt, v funny indeed.

kiwijohn

Zose krazy Chermans.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

oh if i knew then what i know now. . . … . .. . oh hang on i say that about girls too

robdob
    Free Member

I watched it and I didn’t find it funny at all. As someone who has always preferred the gravity assisted part of riding I can assure you those guys were mainly pretty skilled. You really have to ride the bikes that were available then to realise that. I think that hill is a lot steeper than it looks, look at how the riders who crash can’t help running down the slope as it’s pretty steep.

Remember, there werent any downhill, slalom or jump bikes. No disc, v or even Magura hydraulic rim brakes. Toughest rim were mavic 281 (IIRC) which were just wider XC rims. Or you could use touring rims. Tyres were generally 1.95 in width. I used Ritchey Z Max tyres when they came out in a 2.1 size. Spesh did a 2.5″ Ground Control Extreme tyre but they were pretty rare and they wouldn’t fit in the chainstays of most bikes anyway. Quill stems,’single stem bolts, 25.4mm seatposts, 28/38/48 and 12-28 7sp cassettes. Brakes were the worst, I saved up for some black XT2 cantilevers and some Scott Matthauser blocks, which took 2 hours to set up with impossibly low straddle cables and close to the rim blocks.
    Suspension? Forget it. Bikes were generally made stiff stiff stiff! Even wen suspension came out it was terrible. I had some UK made Shocktech forks with 50mm of elastomer travel. Elastomers crumbled into dust, no damping. I did the dual slalom at the Malverns Fat Tyre Festival on a fully rigid bike with flat BMX pedals and Vans Old School trainers on. I don’t remember anyone else using anything other than SPD’s!!

Also remember the downhill courses still had a lot of pedalling in them, so you needed your seat up.

It was genuinely very very scary. I dont get as scared nowadays, it’s all so much easier I suppose. I can guarantee that pretty much anyone who has taken the mick out of that video has no idea what it was like and probably wouldn’t even be close to some of those guys if on a similar bike.

kiwijohn

I’m laughing & I’ve been there & raced DH on those bikes. I was the last guy at the local races still on a rigid bike, though I pulled the barends off & raised the stem to the limit line. Didn’t help much, but I was never DFL.

senorj

Smart.
    Fair play to the riders – some of those stacks hurt.
    Plus ,the straight was steep.
    I don’t think they pre rode the course either.bonkers.

Ta for the vid.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

This one gets me.

poppa
    Free Member

I think the video makes the terrain look easier than it is – that straight descent is probably quite heavily rutted, which is pretty scary at speed on a rigid.

As for the clothing, don’t forget that in ’92 people were wearing cycle shorts as casual clothing 😯

IanMunro
    Free Member

Fantastic!
    Watching that I’ve realised that my riding technique is still firmly set in 1992 🙂

matt23
    Free Member

I have belly laughed in the office and now my boss is not happy with me….but showed him the vid and he said he would fire me if I wore stuff like this today!!
    Awesum vid……absolutely insanse reminds me of long summer days on my Raleigh Apex fluro green onza barends and saddle all the way up…..and a Girven Flex stem for suspension….I thought I was the nuts!!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Loved every second – hilarious!

Also reminds me that I too wore purple lycra and did a few downhills on a steel Hard Tail with “big travel” forks (about 50mm) and the latest “V” brakes.

(I fell off too.)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I watched it and I didn’t find it funny at all. As someone who has always preferred the gravity assisted part of riding I can assure you those guys were mainly pretty skilled. You really have to ride the bikes that were available then to realise that. I think that hill is a lot steeper than it looks, look at how the riders who crash can’t help running down the slope as it’s pretty steep.

Remember, there werent any downhill, slalom or jump bikes. No disc, v or even Magura hydraulic rim brakes. Toughest rim were mavic 281 (IIRC) which were just wider XC rims. Or you could use touring rims. Tyres were generally 1.95 in width. I used Ritchey Z Max tyres when they came out in a 2.1 size. Spesh did a 2.5″ Ground Control Extreme tyre but they were pretty rare and they wouldn’t fit in the chainstays of most bikes anyway. Quill stems,’single stem bolts, 25.4mm seatposts, 28/38/48 and 12-28 7sp cassettes. Brakes were the worst, I saved up for some black XT2 cantilevers and some Scott Matthauser blocks, which took 2 hours to set up with impossibly low straddle cables and close to the rim blocks.
    Suspension? Forget it. Bikes were generally made stiff stiff stiff! Even wen suspension came out it was terrible. I had some UK made Shocktech forks with 50mm of elastomer travel. Elastomers crumbled into dust, no damping. I did the dual slalom at the Malverns Fat Tyre Festival on a fully rigid bike with flat BMX pedals and Vans Old School trainers on. I don’t remember anyone else using anything other than SPD’s!!

Also remember the downhill courses still had a lot of pedalling in them, so you needed your seat up.

It was genuinely very very scary. I dont get as scared nowadays, it’s all so much easier I suppose. I can guarantee that pretty much anyone who has taken the mick out of that video has no idea what it was like and probably wouldn’t even be close to some of those guys if on a similar bike.

And here Rob in 1993…. 😈

GT3 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

GT4 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

GT2 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Are those my Kona Equilibrium & Propulsion tyres you’ve nicked there?? 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

This one gets me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-yWFL8vOlg&feature=player_embedded

haha, that one’s good. So many faceplants.

retro83
    Free Member

GT2 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Are those my Kona Equilibrium & Propulsion tyres you’ve nicked there??

How is that last one not a pinch flat!?

Hob Nob – Member

This one gets me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-yWFL8vOlg&feature=player_embedded

Looks like they’re having a right laugh 😆

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I am so glad I wasn’t into riding then. It’s like someone tipped a cyclocross race onto a hefty angle.

bigjim

Great stuff. I think that is pretty steep just by the way people are walking/jogging down in that tiny step way you do when its steep. Good to see some white onza porcupines!

I guess a lot of people here have never ridden a rigid bike, never mind a rigid bike with 19″ bars, 15cm stem, high saddle and canti brakes. What year did Steve Peat win the downhill on a rigid Kona, must be 93 or 94?

robdob- don’t forget the Panaracer Dart SC 2.2 – one of the first big tires. It was damn good too, well, better than a Smoke.

God I’m old.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How is that last one not a pinch flat!?

Very tough (And heavy) tyres those old Kona ones. Blackwall too, when everyone else had skinwall. I was using Spesh Ground Controls at the time becasue they were lighter. Campag rims, too!

Kona4 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

My bike…

Kona1 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

🙂

wwaswas

no pedals either in those days PP – you woz nailz.

cp

lol, goes to show some people clearly have no idea what bikes were like back then! That long straight though heavily rutted downhill is a lot steeper than you think – BIG respect to all the riders for having the balls to ride it at speed – the brakes back then were shocking! BIG respect also for bouncing off stuff and jumping up and getting back on the bike only to find a bit of bike bent – those impacts were big!

seriously, riding steep angled frames, 130+mm stems, 20″ bars with bar ends (because that was the way) with seats up (because that also was the way, and even DH races had flatish pedally bits), 1.9″ tyres pumped up HARD, ‘suspension’ being at best 30-40mm of rubber bungs and only really at the front… with even the best brakes at the time giving you arm pump just from one corner is not easy!

Those riders have WAY more skills than most of todays 5″ fulls sus riding wanna-be’s.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Amazing video, thanks for posting, LOL quite hard. 😛

mashiehood
    Free Member

needed cheering up this morning – thanks for posting the video. 😀

bigjim

I would find it highly amusing to put a ‘typical’ modern day mtber, who has only ever ridden with suspension and disc brakes, on groomed trail centre trails, on an early 90’s bike, and see how they get on.

wwaswas

What I find quite worrying is that I seem to ride like these people with suspension, disk brakes and a short stem 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have to say I don’t think the riders were any better than today’s, possibly a bit harder, you just got on with the bikes as they were the best available at the time and you knew no different.

twinklydave

5min 18secs in there’s someone riding a flouro green and black marin…my first ‘proper’ mountain bike, being abused in much the same way mine was (fashion and riding wise)

…with much the same outcome 😀

Fab vid!

spacemonkey

Hilarious on all counts; couture, crashes and some of the riders’ hissy fits 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Minds are willing – bike technology isn’t 😉 Never seen so many buckled wheels!

fisha
    Free Member

I watched it and I didn’t find it funny at all.

Chill out … nobody is saying that they dont have skills, just that its funny ( in a morbid way ). Whats wrong with looking back and having a laugh about how it used to be. Its pretty clear that the ground itself is extremely loose dust and dirt … I dont think modern bikes would fare much better in those conditions to be honest.

Fair play to the riders that jumped back up. They were good spills at speed.

Timmo
    Free Member

such a great vid! love it, minimal padding, maximum balls out style!
    lovin the lycra colours too!!

banginon

That takes me back!!

My first DH race I had suspension…..a 130mm(long) flex stem!!!

I think i still have it somewhere..if anyone would like to recreate the event I could organise a hill, strictly retro bikes??

matt23
    Free Member

Bangin on

I think i still have it somewhere..if anyone would like to recreate the event I could organise a hill, strictly retro bikes??

If you do that……surely clothing must be pre 1995…maybe updated helmets!
    I will record it and retire on the winnings of my multiple entries sent to You Been Framed???? 😆

banginon

I still have spotted orange shirts and shorts of the period too. What say we set a date?

banginon

I could lay my hands on a courier comp, an Orange Prestige and very early P7 so this could be a goer

bigjim

I think I still have my 1992 Limar helmet, with fluoro mint sauce stickers somewhere. Ironically, with pisspots back in, it probably doesn’t look as bad as it did. Still got my ‘moab sunrise’ Giro Hammerhead SC somewhere too!

Anyone got Tomac style drop bars and Tioga disc going on still?!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have a 1992 Kona Cindercone 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hahah what a cracking video, were bikes really that shite back in the 90’s? admittedly i woudlnt want to fly down there on a fully rigid bike at speed, but if these guys were pro’s in the day surely they should have been better riders 😆 again it may just be a fun event, but some of them look too serious to be just doing it for fun…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘1992 hardtail downhill nutters ….you have to see this! haha’ is closed to new replies.