Home Forums Bike Forum 1990’s called, they want thier hybrid gravel bike back to commute on…

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • 1990’s called, they want thier hybrid gravel bike back to commute on…
  • matt_outandabout

I would like to try some short travel forks.
    Back in the day I thought 63mm was teh downhills fork…

squirrelking
    Free Member

@superstu

@molgrips

I don’t recall anyone saying it’s a bike everyone should be riding. Or “gushing” over it.

Are they? First I’ve heard of it.

Start at the second reply:

I think it’s a bike. For getting about. Everyone should have something like this. And I don’t meant just enthusiasts.

Looks like the bike IMO lots of people should be riding around the place.

Okay, not everyone but lets not cry over spilt hyperbole.

It might be the same shape as a £500 bike but it has SLX, and hydraulic damping and is probably lighter. So yeah, more expensive bikes look the same but are somewhat better quality. Makes sense no?

Way to miss my point.

Why does someone who just wants a bike care about any of that? You can get a bike with Shimano non-series or Tektro brakes that work just as well in the same conditions. Yes you can put XTR on anything but it’s not necessary. As I said Altus is actually pretty good for what this bike looks designed for.

I just don’t understand the argument that this is awful for being more expensive

That’s not what I’m saying, I really like it, it is a brilliant looking bike – I’m just saying that it’s not the bike that 99% of people need or at that price point, want. It’s a bike for enthusiasts that want a simple bike, like buying a Ramin and flinging a Hope wheelset, X2 Race Evo brakes, SLX 1×9 and Jones H bars on (what sort of fanny would do that?) but without the bother of having to source and build.

That’s the start middle and end of my argument.

I live in Devon so >1200 ft per 10 miles so pretty hilly. Again I didn’t say 2x didn’t have a place, but for me and plenty of others we would prefer the simplicity of a single chainring. You don’t and that’s cool.

Horses for courses, for the price difference (probably pennies at OEM level) I’d rather it came with 2x or 3x and still have the option of flinging a £10 NW ring on. But that’s me and that’s like, your opinion man.

superstu
    Free Member

@squirrelking

I’m not here to start arguments – I like a lot of bikes and just popped on here to say that this – for me – seemed good.

I take the point that one person said it’s a bike for everyone, I didn’t, and I think the hyperbole for the “antis” was overblown hence my comments.

I think despite this we are generally arguing the same points despite looking like the opposite. Personally I think Marin aren’t genuinely appealing to the everyday casual person but more flat barred gravel fans who would spend £1500 or someone who feels a “proper mountain bike” would be overkill. Not the casual market for everyone it purports to be. Whether that’s a sensible market or not is debatable!

FWIW I had a rigid inbred which did a similar thing (think it cost me £400 to build with 1×10 and deore, pace steel rigid forks, great bike). My brother had a Ramin which was very underrated and also did similar.

Anyway, have a good weekend and keep riding.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@superstu

I’m not here to start arguments

Sorry, I thought my closing statement conveyed similar, sorry for any confusion caused, I was trying to be witty and it doesn’t suit me. Totally agree with everything you say BTW

IdleJon

Not the casual market for everyone it purports to be. Whether that’s a sensible market or not is debatable!

They may only sell a handful, but if they only bring a handful into the country then they’ve achieved their objectives. There are plenty of ‘odd’ bikes like this which will find a home somewhere (off the top of my head, Trek 1120, Genesis Vagabond, almost any Surly…). The world is a better place for having them.

Btw, the frame is the same as the Gestalt gravel bike – it’s a good quality frame which achieves sub-10kg without any lightweight components but with a dropper post.

superstu
    Free Member

The world is a better place for having them

completely agree and love to see it

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.