• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 16mm or 13mm chain for home security
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

As title. I’ve heard the 16mm chains are very heavy and could damage bikes?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats around the point where normal bolt croppers stop being able to cut the chain. 13 mm can be cut

z1ppy

Been using a 19mm Almax for a number of years, on my collection & yet to damage anything with it.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Yep Almax for me too. Two of them for my motorbikes. The MTB stays in the kitchen so not needed

Leku
    Free Member

The MTB stays in the kitchen so not needed

Both of mine were stolen from first floor bedroom / office. So yes there is a need.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I’ll go 16mm then – thanks.

Junkyard
    Free Member

16 mm will require an angle grinder and your frame still needs just a hacksaw
    Personlly it is about general security – delaying and good insurance
    I use. some good locks and ground anchors inside but given time you would get them.

boxfish
    Free Member

16 mm will require an angle grinder and your frame still needs just a hacksaw

That’s true. I have a 16mm chain and ground anchor and can confirm from experience that my lovely Brodie Holeshot Ti frame required only a hacksaw. 🙁

Wally

I went for 2m of 13mm, on the same frame hacksaw premise.

FuzzyWuzzy

16mm+ for me on the basis less than that is fairly quickly bolt-croppable. The chains do weigh a lot but you just need to be careful when putting them around the bike(s), more of a hassle the more bikes you have. Obviously not going help if they’re prepared to destroy the frame as well but hopefully that’s not a common occurrence…

MRanger156
    Free Member

2m enough to ground anchor two bikes?

toys19
    Free Member

19mm almax. I still don’t sleep well but it helps.

GW
    Free Member

Not sure what you mean by a heavy chain damaging the bikes, mine regularly endure a 200lb weight 😉 but if you are worried about the chain damaging your bikes paint etc., slip an old DH/MX innertube over it

neninja
    Free Member

Almax chain here with a massive Squire Stronghold shackle.

I’d rather they had to cut my frame and didn’t benefit from it than got the lot in seconds. Most other chains can be cropped with long handled croppers in a heartbeat.

PaulD
    Free Member

I bought a 3m length of 16mm chain a few years ago and made a sock from an old duvet cover with a sewing machine.
    Double thickness polycotton has protected the frames so far, and being indoors on dry frames all is fine.
    This ties the collection to a ground anchor and a steel framed workbench.
    I use 18mm Krypto Forgetta D-locks on the expensive ones too.

PaulD

RicB

To get around the hacksaw problem (well, partially) you could use two 12mm cable loops attached to the chain- one going through front wheel and fork brace, the other through back wheel and chain/seat stays. pita to get through all that.

Yes 12mm cable can be cropped but not easily and means they’ll need angle grinder and croppers and hacksaw

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sterling-121C-1200mm-Double-Coiling/dp/B001CN0CZM/ref=pd_cp_diy_2

Pragmasys chains all come with a protective covering btw

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘16mm or 13mm chain for home security’ is closed to new replies.