Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 150mm reverb thoughts
  • rab5474
    Free Member

Any reason i shouldnt get the 150mm reverb, is there any real difference to the 125mm drop. I cant seem to find any reviews specific to the 150mm version

Slogo
    Free Member

The difference between the two is about 25mm, i believe.

rab5474
    Free Member

Theres always a smart ar%s lol i remember someone telling me the 150mm developed alot more play than normal versions, could anyone confirm / deny

davosaurusrex

Also interested in this, hadn’t heard about the play developing but had wondered if the post flexes much more at full extension which is along the same lines. Could do with the extra drop on my XL Sultan in an ideal world

sillyoldman

150 LEVs are solid.

boxxer7
    Free Member

No news is often good news!

Speeder

Just make sure that you NEED that 150mm of seat post, I know with 30″ inside leg and a medium frame I don’t need more than a 100mm drop and by NEED I mean that if I had a 150 drop post i wouldn’t be able to touch the floor with the post at full extension. Even with the post all the way down.

Not sure if that makes any sense, just check the distance between the clamp and the top of the insert able bit of the post.

G

LoCo
    Free Member

at 6’3″ a 125mm drop is more than enough for me(saddle is pretty height at max extension)

In theory the 150mm drop would put more pressure on the bushes, keys and other components, in practice we haven’t seen any different issues to the 100 & 125mm drop ones.

kendo954
    Free Member

Didn’t know the done a 150

My 125 has about 4″ of post out of the frame and don’t feel the need for more drop?

Northwind

Weirdly I found it depends on the bike. My big bike had a 150mm post now, before that, it had a 125mm KS and it never felt enough, I often dropped it in the frame for more difficult descents.

But that 125mm KS is in my hardtail now and is absolutely fine- and I ride all the same stuff on both bikes.

But more is more, generally. Seems to me there’s absolutely no drawback to having more drop than you need but there is to having less drop than you want. As long as it fits in the frame anyway, quite a lot of modern bikes seem to be going with absurdly long seattowers that limit the fitting/dropping of posts.

Oh and KS>Reverb IMO- I replaced my KS with a Reverb Stealth and it was a mistake 🙁 The Lev was more expensive but I wish I’d paid the extra for the better product. Reverb lever is shite 🙁

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The play occurs due to wear of the top bush as you pedal in the saddle, the continual pushing back, so it is feasible that the longer the post the quicker the play develops. However the top bush is designed to wear as a sacrificial component to save the reverb sanction and as a result can be easily replaced. Mines 18 months old and has some play. I’m in no rush to replace. I’ve got a few maintenance jobs to do so so will add this one to the list and save it for winter.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Just check the configuration you want is available. I think you can only get the 150mm drop on the stealth and not in all diameters.
    https://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/pr_reverb_updates_us_fnl.pdf

I haven’t looked much but I couldn’t find a 150mm 30.9 stealth to buy although it says it is an option in the document linked above.

scar4me
    Free Member

I upgraded from a 125 KS i950 to a 150mm reverb stealth.
    Action wise there isn’t much in it.
    Fit and forget wise the reverb is much better.
    You just have to get used to a slightly stiffer lever feel on the reverb.

If your just doing it for 25mm of extra drop, I’d say save your money.
    If like me it was to move to a stealth routing/static cabole post then I couldn’t see a reason not to get the extra drop.

Scar

scar4me
    Free Member

FYI anyone looking for 150mm stealth Reverbs should check out alltricks.fr
    Got mine for £200 inc shipping (after currency conversion from euro)

Scar

GavinB

150 LEVs are solid.

Wow, never really looked at them before, but at £375 they’d better be! Best I can find for a Stealth Reverb is at Alltricks, as mentioned above, so nearly double for something that may flex slightly less? That’s a hard sell.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Unless you might need a 30.9mm 150 drop post and then the KS is a bargain!

I have a KS LEV integra on order and also the parts to make myself a 30.9mm 150mm drop reverb just in case the Integra does not work as reliably as I want. RS used to make a 30.9mm 150 drop reverb but stopped after ashore period of time.

wiggles
    Free Member

They only sold a few 30.9mm 150mm drop reverbs then have stopped, I think there was an issue with it not having enough volume for the amount of travel (IE same reason they don’t do a 27.2)

As long as you have your reverb collar a few inches out of your frame then there is no reason to not go for the 150mm really. But not necessarily short arse compatible.

llatsni
    Free Member

I’m about 5’11 with roughly a 33″ inseam – I would not be able to fit a 150mm reverb into my bike and still be able to actually pedal it… it’s a medium Cannondale Rize. In any case 125mm is more than enough drop: I never had my saddle as low as the reverb goes previously. Make sure you measure and measure again.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They only sold a few 30.9mm 150mm drop reverbs then have stopped, I think there was an issue with it not having enough volume for the amount of travel (IE same reason they don’t do a 27.2)

The internals are the same on a 30.9/31.6 Reverb, as the nice people at SRAM made me a 150 Reverb Stealth, after I made the mistake of buying a POS 150mm KS Lev for a second time. Some people never learn, they should be a better now to be fair, now they have redesigned the Southpaw lever for normal people who don’t like the cable fouling the brake 😉

johnhe

If the difference between 125 and 150mm is anything like the same as that between 100 and 125mm then I’d go 150mm. I have both 100mm and 125mm drops, but the 100mm is just not enough to move the saddle properly out of the way for me. It is still too high to wheelie off drops and stuff without the saddle in the way.

With the 100mm I end up getting off and dropping the post before major descents and raising it for major climbs – sort of defeats the purpose!!

sillyoldman

GavinB – you can also get the cheaper LEV DX and LEV Integra (stealth type) in 150 for less cash. Those are what I have.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I thought the 150 was held back as there were issues with the extra length… But this was a while back.

GavinB

johnhe – I think I’m the same as you then, as I have an old GD (100mm) and a standard Reverb (125mm), and just don’t like the drop on the GD. , hence looking at the 150mm option. 100m just not enough (for me) on nadgery descents, so sometimes get allen key out and drop a little more (not always), and then obviously have to then knock it back up before the next climb.

sillyoldman – that’s a bit cheaper for sure

solamanda
    Free Member

I’ve been running one for years since they were first available and don’t see the point of running under 150mm. A few friends also have the 150mm post and we’ve seen no extra maintenance issues. The only reason I see not to run one is upgrade cost (small) or it’s too long for your frame/legs.

I currently have another on order for a new bike.

RickDraper
    Free Member

The internals are the same on a 30.9/31.6 Reverb.

I was just about to post this.

I am about to make my own 150mm drop 30.9 reverb stealth after getting hold of this:

Northwind

Hob Nob – Member

now they have redesigned the Southpaw lever for normal people who don’t like the cable fouling the brake

Be nice if Rockshox would do the same tbh. But then they’ve got a way to go since their ergonomics are so great, the first thing everyone does with their lever is turn it upside down 😆

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘150mm reverb thoughts’ is closed to new replies.