Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 150mm frame
  • jk1980
    Free Member

I’m looking for a do it all 150mm 26 inch frame and am after a bit of help choosing. Although I do want to be able to pedal it, I really want it to perform for descents and am after a slack head angle. I’d prefer to avoid single pivot also. Essentially a mini Dh bike that can be pedalled, if that’s not asking too much!

There are loads of good 160mm frames out there but I’m not aware of many 150mm ones. So I’m currently leaning towards the 140mm Knolly Endorphin or Banshee spitfire, that’s the best I can come up with so far. My brother is trying to convince me to find an iron horse 6 point, but I don’t think they’re that slack. It then got me thinking about the pivot Mach 5.7, but I’ve heard it rides like an xc bike. Are there any others that would fit the bill?

chakaping
    Free Member

Why 150mm and not 160mm or 140mm?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Transition Bandit? I hear good things.

jk1980
    Free Member

Chakaping – Not 160mm because I have a DH bike that id use when I need bigger travel. 140mm I’m open to if there’s a good one out there that fits the bill

chakaping
    Free Member

I see where you’re coming from. Makes a lot of sense.

The original Nukeproof Mega sounds like what you’re describing.

Also the Saracen Ariel in 140mm guise is a brilliant play bike, but I sold mine because it was too DH orientated and felt a bit slow on the pedally bits in an enduro race.

They’re both linkage single pivots though I think, so may not be of interest.

Mondraker Foxy is a dual link suspension design, feels a bit DH-y in a different way – long and low and a bit stuck to the ground. Doesn’t feel like a normal trail bike IMO and I do miss my old one. Was better in a lot of situations than the Dune I replaced it with.

deviant
    Free Member

Also the Saracen Ariel in 140mm guise is a brilliant play bike, but I sold mine because it was too DH orientated

I had one of these too, they also take a 150mm fork….the Ariel-3 came with a 150mm fork if i remember correctly.
    Brilliant downhill as said, i found mine fine to pedal and think it is better up hills than my current hardtail (456-evo)….happily have another, didnt notice and funny characteristics with the single pivot either.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies…

I do like the look of the bandit, but it doesn’t look slack enough.

TBH Although I’ve heard of the Mega, I’ve not heard of the Ariel or the Mondraker Foxy so will take a look

chakaping
    Free Member

TBH you can probably pick up an Ariel as a full bike for less than the price of most frames.

matt1986
    Free Member

I have a BMC Trailfox and its good on the ups and downs

al2000

Banshee Spitfire ticks all the boxes, either a mk1 or a mk2. I loved my mk1, but my mk2 is better.

stewartc
    Free Member

Yeti SB66,, 152mm travel at the back

Kuco

Commencal Meta AM.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I have a fully tricked out mega if your interested

jk1980
    Free Member

Lots to consider and a few I’d not heard of…is there any one of these that stands out as being better at downhill? Or is that just very much subjective?

bobmac892

Mondraker Foxy XR

theraggyone
    Free Member

Bad form recommending my own bike but im going to anyway , another vote for the banshee spifire its only 140mm travel but very slack ,66 degrees in slack setting , well built and feels like alot more than 140mm . Bloody great at going fast downhill but also pedals well I use mine as a do everything bike but it excels on trails and in the bike park absolutly love it. Another to consider is the commencal meta am ,150mm really plush and fun to ride.heres my spitty

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Ruling a frame out for an extra 10mm of travel is ludicrous imo.

chiefgrooveguru

Cotic Rocket is another of the low, slack, stiff variety of 150mm FS. Linkage driven single pivot with ~20% progression on the frame rate, so quite different to a more linear four bar.

jairaj

I have a Bandit a totally love it but its not right for you. Its a great all rounder not a mini DH bike.

Another vote for the Saracen Ariel, it comes in either 140 or 160 versions and I reckon you make either work with a 150mm fork. Nukeproof Mega or and Titus El Guapo are some others that I can think of the top of my head. Also how about a Cannondale Claymore?

wrecker
    Free Member

Bottlerocket?

rickmeister

Mojo HD ?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

nukeproof Rook?

dan45a
    Free Member

OP – your requirement has yeti sb66 written all over it. Slack, pedalable, quick and lively on the descents….

140 or 150mm rear travel won’t be much in it… A bolt through rear axle would make the difference. I also find the fork you run will be the major factor in how capable the bike is. I was very disappointed with a fox 32 150mm, so would only consider a 34 or pike or maybe a rev at that travel.

Another good frame if you can find one would be a stumpy evo…

jedi

bottlerocket for me 🙂

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Spitfire v2, dbair, 160mm fork, long,slack, low and solid!

chakaping
    Free Member

Cotic Rocket

Ooh yeah, I’d definitely be trying one of them out.

I imagine from the reviews (and a quick car park spin I had) that it’d ride like the Ariel I had – but with better pedalling/climbing.

5AM
    Free Member

Amazed no one has mentioned a Stumpjumper Evo yet, they get brilliant reviews.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

El guapo!

euain

I’m loving my Pivot Mach 5.7 – to throw another option on the table. DW Link suspension and very nicely put together :).

Edit – and rereading the OP – it is very good on the uphills as well – but very capable going down. Much more than I really need! Going from my ’08 Stumpjumper (120mm) to this is a huge change. It feels much more planted and stable – more than I would have expected from the extra inch of travel.

Edit 2 – Pivot have just released a Mach 6 but I don’t think it’s available yet. Might be worth a look. Also for the price of the Pivot frame, you could probably get a pretty well specced Canyon.

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

If you want something a solid but a bit older, look at the Specialized Pitch!

Bomb-proof, pedals well, great fun!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

You want the bike I would have bought if it was available in carbon. Nicolai Helius AC. 66.5 deg head angle, adjustable 140 or 150mm travel, bomb proof and beautifully built

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, lots of options to consider.

I’ve always thought of Yeti of being high end xc bikes, guess they’ve added to their range and the 66 looks good.

TBH the spitfire would have been the one to go for, but I was just put off by a review I read which said its very long. However it doesn’t look overly long compared to any of the others mentioned. I want something nimble and chuckable if possible.

Also love the look of the nicolai!

theraggyone
    Free Member

My spitfire doesnt seem long at all , I thought it would when I brought it as I think I read the same review but tbh it seems no longer than my giant reign was really, its also really nimble for a slack bike and loves air time. You definatly would not be disappointed with a spitfire I love mine more and more every time I ride it.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘150mm frame’ is closed to new replies.