Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • £1500 on a cross bike?????
  • jonnyrockymountain

What are my choices, wanting carbon frame ideally, carbon forks, disc brakes and 1×11

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not really my area, but I have been admiring the Vitus Energie range recently. Put your sunglasses on before you click the link…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-energie-pro-cyclo-x-bike-2016/rp-prod134323

The cheaper orange alu one almost got me wanting to give CX bikes another go.

SaxonRider

This Ridley X-Night 50 at 37% off?

If Mrs SR said ‘yes’, I would in a heartbeat.

AlexSimon

Are you wanting a do-it-all bike, or a bike for entering cyclocross races?

If the former, I find it hard to look past the On-one options of either the Ti Pickenflick (de-stickered) or Carbon Bish Bash Bosh (if you can put up with the graphics).
    I’m not normally much of an on-one fan, but friends have recently bought these and I’ve been impressed.

Edit: BTW – They usually have a hefty Easter Sale.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Not sure if I’d get too hung up on carbon at that price point.. Wouldn’t rule out a Good quality ALU such as a kinesis pro6

jonba
    Free Member

Pinnacle ones from evans might fit your requirements.

Not sure on ring configuration but my next CX bike is coming from Rosebikes in Germany. I have an X-lite CRS road bike from them and it is fantastic.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I wouldn’t only look at 1×11 specced bikes, it’s only the cost of a chainring to convert (raced a season of CX with Sram Rival converted to 1x with just a narrow/wide ring, no clutch mech, and had nothing even threatening to be a dropped chain).

If it fits you, this lovely Marin from Discount Cycles (mail order arm of Broadribbs shop in Banbury/Bicester)

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=18688

The Vitus from CRC.

A Viner/Tomac from Planet X if it’s in the sale. +1 Alexsimon, I’m close to being a h8r but a mate bought one on my recommendation, in the 35% sale it was £1K for similar spec but better wheels to my £1500 (reduced from £2K) C’dale SuperX.

Fuji Altimira CX from Evans.

I wouldn’t get “hung up” on carbon but when you can get a decent quality carbon bike of similar spec for the same price (either from a direct seller, or reduced) why wouldn’t you?

twojumpers

I bought a Viner Strada Bianca from PX, the 2×11 Rival Hydro version and it is great. I don’t have a lot of experience in other cx/adventure road bikes but it covered my want list and I liked the colour. I think they have a great deal on the Tomac version (same frame different graphics) at the moment.

Worth a look.

dragon
    Free Member

How about a Dolan in the complete opposite of normal STW tradition I don’t own one and have never seen one, but they are a respected brand.

Rose look good for the money but are aluminium frames so slightly heavier, but do come with things like the new flat mount standard and will take mudguards.

Giant TCR is a bit more than you’d like to pay at £1800, but you get a quality frameset.

It looks like £1.5k falls between the high specced top quality aluminium frames or carbon frames with low specs and heavy wheels. Tricky decision.

howarthp

I really like my On-One Pickenflick with CX1

dragon
    Free Member

Oh Ribble do a cross/gravel bike now called the CR3 CX It’s not the prettiest and it seems to be quite limited what you can spec it with, but it is a carbon frame for well under the £1.5k budget, so you could afford to replace some bits.

jonnyrockymountain

Cheers a lot to look at, one bike I have seen is the whyte saxon cross(although ali frame)

grey

I bought this a few weeks back Merida carbon CX
    Only thing I have done is change the mechanical Spire brakes to Shimano Hydraulic stoppers.
    Still to ride it , but it looks pretty 😆 .

gee
    Free Member

I have a Salsa Warbird for sale, VVVGC, lots of new parts, full SRAM CX1 hydro discs, USE carbon bars, King headset, Hope/Crest wheels…

56cm

£1300?

sam3000

Fatbirds had the 2016 merida cyclocross 6000 reduced to £1800 in December. I could’t resist.

The bike itself is fantastic, fully hydraulic brakes and shimano ultegra (105 cassette though).

I’d hang on for another deal- they’ve been reduced since December too- keep checking the website regular

jonnyrockymountain

I’m 5’8″ so around 52cm frame size

sam3000

Feel free to drop by mine in new mill to try the merida

jonnyrockymountain

Sam, would you mind sending me you no to my email add, so I can text you pal?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I bought a 2015 SuperX Rival for £1500 (and then about 60 quid cashback), and whilst I love it, if that Marin had been the same price at the time I’d have bought that (105 rather than Rival and better wheels).

dickster
    Free Member

I too have been thinking about a do-it-all/cross bike recently and have been looking at this:

Canyon Inflite 9.0s

Which seems to have a great spec and is only 1kg haevier than their full-carbon endurance bike.

Any good as it’s within budget ?

Kamakazie

Wouldn’t believe the Canyon weights but they do look to be good bikes.
    I picked up an ex-demo carbon Norco Search for less than your budget from Evans. Lovely riding bike though let down a bit by appalling paint.

dragon
    Free Member

Canyon weight looks wrong IMO.

Cube and Focus also do similar bikes to the Canyon for similar money.

timblake7

I have been thinking of a cross bike to ride for winter mtb in flat Cambridgeshire to save my very much overbooked Zesty from the mud and then as an allrounder… I test rode the Whyte Saxon Cross was really impressed. Mtb like handling but fast and fun on the road. Cornered beautifully, fitted me really well (I’m 178cm and tried the 54cm) quality seems high. Obviously couldn’t ride it in the mud but search for reviews – it gets good ones. I would buy now if I had the money

sam3000

Email sent

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘£1500 on a cross bike?????’ is closed to new replies.