Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 1.5 straight steerer in a tapered headtube….?
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

I have just purchased some cut price fox 36 uppers from Mojo with a 1.5in steerer. I original thought I would be limited to a frame with a 1.5in headtube (intense tracer etc) but would I be right in thinking that I can also fit these in a tapered headtube if I use the top half of this Nukeproof headset….

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/de/nukeproof-warhead-44eeos-headset/rp-prod85870

….and a standard zero stack lower race – significantly widening my choice of frames?

If so is it only Nukeproof that do these headsets?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Measure the top of the head tube, I’m using a 1 1/8th cup in mine and it’s a fair bit narrower than the bottom hole.

ndthornton
    Free Member

tapered headtubes are normally 44mm at the top

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I could go and measure mine bit it’s got a standard 1 1/8th up top
    http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf

ndthornton
    Free Member

OK – I didn’t realize you can external tapered headtubes. The one I have seen are zero stack tapered headtubes (44mm top).

To be honest I’m pretty sure it will fit but just wanted someone to agree as I haven’t seen it done before- pretty please!!!!!!!!!!!

…and if Nukeproof is the only option?

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    ndthornton
    Free Member

hope don’t do them and as far as I can tell neither do Cane Creek

ratherbeintobago

hope don’t do them and as far as I can tell neither do Cane Creek

Nor CK.

If you can find a frame with a tapered HT and an upper 44mm cup, it’s going to look a bit odd with an inset lower and an external upper…

ndthornton
    Free Member

it’s going to look a bit odd with an inset lower and an external upper…

Really
    I think it would look quite nice
    Im thinking of maybe a Trek Remedy

The only Issue I can see is the depth – the Nukeproof Top cup has a depth of 14.8mm. Its not clear what the depth of the bore is on these zero stack frames – but the Integrated 44mm hope headset is only 10mm in depth.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘1.5 straight steerer in a tapered headtube….?’ is closed to new replies.