Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 15 or Maxle any better?
  • FarandAway

I'm thinking about up-grading to a 140mm fork, but is there a noticeable improvement in steering with a fatter axle? Is there detectable difference for an XC rider and who's not DHer?

jim
    Free Member

Don't have any first hand experience from a stiffness point of view but I'd certainly be looking at a bolt-through for the additional safety over a standard 5mm QR.

james-o
    Free Member

i've been on 15 / 20mm forks for a while and going back to qr i notice the flex, it's not make or break but it's well worth it if you ride anywhere rocky or rooty. recommended.

tbh i don't think there is any practical safety benefit over a properly-tightened qr, but maxles / 15mm do let you get a wheel out faster.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Don't overlook the fact that the flex people talk about/notice is often in the wheel & not the fork. A good choice of rim & spoke well built into a QR wheel will be stronger/stiffer than a standard machine built bolt thru wheel.

benji_allen
    Free Member

I noticed a big difference going to a 20mm. Gone from Float 32's with QR to Talas 36's so they are a bit more heavy duty anyway (and it's a bigger duty bike too), but they track so much better. The 32's felt a bit squirmy even before I changed.

james-o
    Free Member

the wheel point is true, but the stiffness i'm refering to is in the lowers, less leg movement relevant to each other means they bind less and the suspension works noticeably better over bumps in the corners etc. A large-flange 20mm front hub can also add wheel stiffness, all in all it tracks better than any 9mm set-up i've ever used – i'd agree it's not essential tho.

slowrider
    Free Member

using the same wheels just with adaptors ive tried qr15 and maxle/ 20mm fox. there is a definite difference when giving them a beasting but i suspect its not just the axles but the whole fork that is built for more heavy duty purposes.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Could try a 9mm qr axle like the one from DT Swiss or Superstar Components.

coatesy
    Free Member

I'm using a Vanilla with QR15 and find it excellent.Given it's simplicity, security, extra stiffness and ease of use,I can't really see much point in using a normal QR (unless you have no safety ledges on your dropouts it's quicker to use too).I'd definitely recommend it.

stooo
    Free Member

I'd say there's a noticeable difference – I'm now running 140mm revs with 20mm maxle lite. I wouldn't go back to AR unless I had to (dropping to 100mm forks and no bolt through option?).

The other thing worth pointing out is that 15mm axle isn't officially a bolt through system as once the axle is screwed in, it doesn't get clamped into the fork legs on both sides the way a 20mm maxle or traditional bolt through does… which makes the whole axle, lowers, crown a complete stiff almost one piece unit. That's the point of the bolt through. The maxle system just made it quicker to get a wheel in and out, but it still clamps the axle in the fork lowers on both sides.

Hope that made sense.

kamina
    Free Member

I think QR15 is stiffer then 9mm QR, and can notice it when riding through rocky terrain with lots of off cambre roots. 20mm is stiffer, but 15 is ok for me. I can notice a difference also when moving from a Pike to a Wotan (same wheelset and rest of bike), but difference is weight can at some points be more beneficial then ultimate stiffness (have a 36 van rc2 now).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘15 or Maxle any better?’ is closed to new replies.