Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 140mm forks, whats hot and whats not.
  • sam3000

I’m after a 140mm fork with 1 1/8th steerer, 15mm q.r etc.

I’ve seen a new 2012 fox float rl for £400.

There are also deals on revs at merlin cycles.

Does anyone know the a-c of the revs @ 150mm.

Which is the better fork?

There’s also the option of a x-fusion velvet.

I really need some pointers on which is best in terms of longevity, fit and forget and service intervals.

thanks

Sam

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Revelations can be set at 130mm to 150mm. I find rock shox easy to service but I haven’t owned any fox forks tbh. I have seen 2012 revs go for as little as £150 second hand.

sam3000

Nice, £150 sounds like a bargain.

I like the look of the new revs to, at 140mm they’d be perfect.

Maybe i’m being paranoid/ over concerned but those black stanchions look a bit dt swiss esque and therefore like cheese.

Northwind

Revelations/Sektors are mostly excellent and available to suit most budgets. I don’t think the 32 competes, the top models can have better damping (depending on whether it’s a year where they got it right rather than making divey sponges) but the chassis is never as good- it’s a very long XC fork basically.

If you’re unsure, then Rockshox usually make sense. There’s no brand that doesn’t have its strengths, but mostly you buy them for a particular reason. Rockshox are the default 😉

Mackem

I’ve had Sektors for a couple of years now. Excellent fork. Uturn coil things btw. Thinking of changing them for Air Sketors (or revelations or X-fusion – not for any performance reasons, just because I like trying different things.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2014 revelation RCT3 with the black stantions and they look incredible in the flesh.

Can’t wait to get out and ride them as an upgrade to my Sectors and fox 32 of the pasts.

bigrich

i got 2014 rtc3 revs in 140mm n 1 1/8
    they’re pretty ood so far. the low speed compression dial actually works, for example.

sam3000

I’ve heard a lot of people going off fox at the moment.

Sektors have an axle to crown length that is just too big.

Its for a cove hustler, ideal travel 130mm and max a-c of 520.

I do like the look of the new revs but can’t see how much I would be gaining over a set of 2013 rlt’s and having 170 in my pocket.

jonnyrockymountain

My choice on performance and service intervals would be DT swiss
    My choice on cost would be either revelations or velvets
    At the moment I wouldn’t touch fox

sam3000

Seems like sound advice mr Rocky mountain.

How about a 2012 fox rl, worth paying £400 brand new for, over a 2013 revelation rlt at £350?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

On one had the 2013 rev rct3 for £350.

sam3000

I think they were a tapered steerer.

I’m after 1 1/8th and 15mm qr.

willv

Hijack. I will be selling some 2012 Rev RCT3 in the next week or so. White, 15mm, 1 1/8 steerer which s long too. Drop me a mail if you’re interested.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t really like my Sektors. They’re quite divey. But a good price and weight. Wish I’d kept my old Pikes tbh!

bigjim

I have 2013 revs at 140mm, I find the linear spring rate makes them very divey, though I am relatively heavy. Thinking of trying some Slants.

br
    Free Member

I recently bought a pair of those Revs from Merlin, the black/white combo looks good and they ride really well – just need to space them down as the extra 10mm (and riding higher in their travel) than my Thor’s means they are tougher to ride up steep climbs.

sam3000

I must admit, I like the tough technical climbs, so anything that is going to cause an issue with that is a no.

I’ve also had a pair of r.s sids rlt’s with dual air in 2011.

I didn’t get on with the dual air/ threshold adjustment.

The 2012 fox rl or a 2014 rev rct3 solo air is winning the battle thus far.

Can anyone tell me more about the rct3 damper please?

cazum
    Free Member

i had the fox 32 float RL’s , they just worked! not the plushest of forks but they were a budget fork! but never had a problem with them and man they were EASY!!! to service! 35mins start to finish! done. could have dont them even quicker but that was taking time.

i am a big guy! 17.5st! and these soaked up everything! i through at them! from small drops to 5ft drops! not a problem!.

they can be had also for around the £150 price 2nd hand in VERY good condition!

bigrich

the revs are solo air this year. I do technical climbs and they are just fine. I run 10% sag. but it has an anodised markers on the leg allowing you to set up to 30%; easy.

the rtc3 damper is locked out, trail or fully open. trail has more compression on.

the trail setting provides plenty of stability without bieng wooden, and the open is plush without diving. they are better then my mates new 2013 float 32 fit rlc kashimas jobs.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘140mm forks, whats hot and whats not.’ is closed to new replies.